Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Must have gear for a newbie.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Must have gear for a newbie.....

Postby REMSP10 » 02 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have been reading and studying as much as I can for my first elk gun hunt. (Was hoping this year but no luck in the draw) The extra year will allow me to get in better shape and buy more goodies! I am trying to make sure I have the essential gear to make my hunt enjoyable and give me the best chance to be successful. I the following gear list is what I have gotten or will be getting just haven't bought it yet.

Danner Santiams, Garmin 62s, Sitka Gear for clothes including rain gear (maybe a few KUIU items in there somewhere), Eberlestock J34, Elknuts Chuckler XTR, Worse than Wolves.

The guys I will be going with have tents, cots, sleeping bags, food...ect for camp and such. I have a set of 10x42 Nikon Monarchs. I am also in the research mode for headlamps right now. I know that I need supplies and basic survival gear for my pack and have been studying that as well. My question is there a few things that you guys feel are must haves that I have not touched on here. I have been kicking around a spotter but not sure that I really need one. I am not going for a trophy, so I don't need to examine every last inch of antler. If I should have one I can't decide between a 50 or a 65. I know I need some maps too but just haven't found what I am looking for yet. I know this is a broad question but any input would be appreciated.

Scott
REMSP10

First Name: Scott
Last Name: Nesbit

Re: Must have gear for a newbie.....

Postby Indian Summer » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Get a Petzl headlamp.. or 2.

A new elk hunter has way better things to spend money on than a spotting scope. Hold off on that for now.

Game bags. paracord, flagging tape, a bit of aluminum foil, a couple Bic lighters and either fire starter or a film canister with cotton balls and Vaseline, something for blisters, Neosporin, a whistle for in your pack for emergencies, a lightweight headband/neck gaiter does wonders without going to a warmer hat on chilly days as does a pair of light water resistent gloves ..... see where I'm going?

The little things are what guys forget about early on. It's not as fun as shopping for Sitka Gear but the little stuff will make or break you. KME knife sharpeners are nice to have if you don't yet have a quality sharpener.

Walk yourself through a day of hunting starting with waking up, & ending with killing an elk, imagining every step and you'll be on the right track. Got toilet paper in a ziplock? Maps also in ziplock? You're going nowhere without those two items right!

I'll let others chime in............

Welcome!!!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'll add a couple to Joe's list. Map at compass, and KNOW how to use them. GPS, Gaiters and wool pants for the snow. Also a GOOD knife that will hold an edge.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Water bladder for your pack
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

The most important thing to have on your hunt is a head full of knowledge. Learn all you can. All of the gear in the world will not make up for a lack of knowledge of elk and how to hunt them. I agree with Indian Summer on the spotting scope. Remember to buy high quality equipment that you can use for years. Your equipment does not need to be fancy. It needs to be reliable. There is a lot of things that people would like to sell you. I have tried a lot of it over the years, but I mostly go with the basics. How you hunt will determine what you need as much as anything. If you are pack in hunting, remember to keep it light. More is not necessarily better.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Definitely keep it light and necessary, I promise that you will looking for ways to empty that pack of a few items after a few days of hiking in the high country if you carry too much. Elknuts playbook has a good list in the back for a daypack list. As a bowhunter,I always carry dental floss for retying peepsights or other bowstring emergencies. Duct tape is not bad to have around either, just not a full roll, it is usually left at the truck on our adventures. I think everybody always starts out with more than what you need, my problem is I like to eat alot. Be a spot on the mountain that thinks as well. Enjoy it!!!
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby elkmtngear » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

1. A trekking pole
2. A shooting rest
3. A Wind and Rain Shelter
4. A Moo Cow Decoy

Or, one product that is all of the above

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby wideangle » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I do not know what your gear budget is, however, many good products are out there that do the job for less money than the heavily touted brands. For example, you may want to consider surplus wool pants and a wool plaid shirt for late season bow hunting in the fall. Camo is optional even for close quarter bow hunting. Wool vintage clothing can be found on line also at ebay or http://www.etsy.com/
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby otcWill » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I think a lot of guys forget to bring a basic medical kit. Accidents happen! I would also never be without an extra set of strings and cables and backup release.
otcWill

Postby REMSP10 » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:a bit of aluminum foil

What is this used for? Cooking? Trying to judge how much one should bring?
REMSP10

First Name: Scott
Last Name: Nesbit

Postby G Posik » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

On the foot wear - get something comfortable and get them early. Make sure they are well broke in before you go on the hunt.

Bino's - I personally use 8 x 42 for the simple fact if I spend a lot of the day behind the glass I find the 10x too much (For me).

First aid kit I keep pretty basic, few pain meds, muscle relaxer, anti histamine, super glue and some duct tape.

Good head lamp and spare batteries for it and any thing requiring batteries.

Spotting scope the best spotting scope ever is the one............that your buddy owns and is carrying.

Kill kit is very important since you will need this, mine I use two contractor trash bags, knife and sharpener, orange flagging, single handy wipes (3), zip ties (For attaching elk tag) Marker (Marks - a - lot mini, one 50' and one 25' section of 550 cord, two pair of rubber gloves and one glow stick.

I have put together a pretty good packing list for my back packing trips and can send it to you if you like. Good quality gear is expensive and is tough on the pocket book if you get it all at one time. Check place like camofire and such for good deals on gear. Make sure on the backpack you get it is comfortable with a heavy load. Sometimes the one that is very popular will not fit your properly. Most of all when you get out there in GOD's country enjoy it and have a blast.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby G Posik » 02 25, 2013 •  [Post 12]

REMSP10 wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:a bit of aluminum foil

What is this used for? Cooking? Trying to judge how much one should bring?

I use it for cooking Grouse (Mountain Chicken).

Glenn
G Posik

Postby Indian Summer » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Yep.. see the grouse cooking thread in "Doc's 0ffice" You thought it was to signal search & rescue? ha ha

Here's one more: Clipshot. If a picture is worth 1000 words, which it is to a hunter, then this little gadget is worth carrying. No more resting a camera on your pack. Better angles. Way better self taken photos. Also... get your partner in there for a group shot. Weighs next to nothing. Cheap. Made in Montana. :)

Priceless!
Attachments
Clipshot.jpg
Clipshot.jpg (16.42 KiB) Viewed 16150 times
CS.png
CS.png (631.29 KiB) Viewed 16150 times
CS2.png
CS2.png (490.02 KiB) Viewed 16150 times
Indian Summer

Postby cnelk » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Now I like that!
I'm going to add that to my gear!
cnelk

Postby G Posik » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I will have to add one of these to the packing list. I really like that.

Glenn
G Posik

Postby cnelk » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Just ordered mine.
$20 bucks!

http://www.clip-shot.com/
cnelk

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 17]

LOL!! Brad, I just picked one up too, very cool item! Joe thanks a bunch for the photos of it.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 18]

$20! Doubled since I bought mine awhile back. Still worth it.
Indian Summer

Postby MTLongdraw » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Don't forget to bring a good attitude, perseverance, and remember elk hunting is supposed to be fun. You may wonder what the hell you are doing or why, but remember to give it all you have because once you get home you'll wish you were elk hunting again. 12 months is a long time to wait for next elk season.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 26, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Ordered one also.. Thanks for the tip..
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby LckyTylr » 02 27, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I hate to admit this, but I'd like to add to what MTlongdraw said.

I thought of myself as a pretty good hunter when I started hunting elk. "Deer Fear Me" kinda thing. Well, Elk . . . do NOT fear me. My best advice is to forget any past successes that you have enjoyed with regards to thinking that you can follow the same game plan and it will lead you to a bull. Remember all of those things that DID work for you on previous hunts for other critters, but don't expect them to work on elk every time. Hunting with a Rifle is a whole lot better (for newbie success) than my stubborn approach (I won't shoot one with a rifle until I have done so with a bow). With that said, it's still not easy and if you don't have the right attitude going into it, you will become frustrated and defeat the purpose of modern day hunting.

So . . . go into your first several seasons with the expectation that you are going to have a good time, you are going to learn a lot, and you are going to wear out a few pairs of boots chasing wapiti. If you happen to kill an elk in the first few years . . . AWESOME!!! Open up a beer or two on the mountain.

Indian Summer's list below is spot on from what I have learned in short span of elk hunting. Sounds like you will be hunting with friends that hunt from a main base camp, that should keep you hunting out of a "day pack" and you shouldn't need as much stuff as though you were "bivy hunting".

"Game bags. paracord (bring Plenty, it can serve many purposes), flagging tape, a bit of aluminum foil, a couple Bic lighters and either fire starter or a film canister with cotton balls and Vaseline, something for blisters, Neosporin, a whistle for in your pack for emergencies, a lightweight headband/neck gaiter does wonders without going to a warmer hat on chilly days as does a pair of light water resistent gloves"
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby G Posik » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Thanks for the link, ordered one the other day. Hope it is there at the house when I get back from Alaska on Saturday. I am here on business and no pleasure this trip. Thanks again for the link and This will go in my bad for sure.

Glenn
G Posik

Postby Freebird134 » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 23]

otcWill wrote:I think a lot of guys forget to bring a basic medical kit. Accidents happen! I would also never be without an extra set of strings and cables and backup release.

^^^Extra release for sure. I lose mine a lot... :(

I wish that camera clip could work with my iPhone. I stopped carrying a regular point-and-shoot digital camera every since my first iPhone.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Clip-Shot » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 24]

To expand on something mentioned earlier about "Attitude", Determination & Discipline are always part of my "Must have gear".
These two things influence me to practice a lot before season, and have prevented me from taking a bad shot during season.

Freebird134 wrote: I wish that camera clip could work with my iPhone. I stopped carrying a regular point-and-shoot digital camera every since my first iPhone.

Go to post #25 for a closer look here-- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1492
I made a few of these accessories recently.
Clip-Shot
Site Sponsor

First Name: Lyn
Last Name: Wilson