Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Old bowstring

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Old bowstring

Postby Moose-head » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have a compound bow that has been sitting for 6+ years. I am trying to work my way back to bowhunting after shoulder issues. I want to turn down the poundage on the bow and get into shape to start shooting it. Is it OK to wax my old string and start pulling the bow to get my shoulder in shape or do I run the risk of the string breaking and buggering up my bow?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Re: Old bowstring

Postby Swede » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think your string should be fine if it has not been stored in direct sunlight, but send an E-Mail to Park-N-Sons. The owner is a sponsor of this forum and bow string manufacturer. He would be the best to advise you.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would not recommend shooting this string, if it that old.

Ask a rope climber or window washer if they would use a 6 yr old rope...

If you're interested in getting into bowhunting again, buy a used or new bow from your local shop. A low end bow from today's manufacturers are much better than the top-end bows from 10yrs ago.

The dilemma might be, $150 for new strings and cables, old technology, gear, no warranty or $500 for a new bow, new technology, new gear, full warranty or a used setup for $300?
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Moose-head » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

WindedBowhunter wrote:I would not recommend shooting this string, if it that old.

Ask a rope climber or window washer if they would use a 6 yr old rope...

If you're interested in getting into bowhunting again, buy a used or new bow from your local shop. A low end bow from today's manufacturers are much better than the top-end bows from 10yrs ago.

Both great points. I think that I might just use it for excercise without loosing any arrows with it. I have tried to come back from my shoulder before and have rushed it and not had any luck getting back out hunting. I don't want to invest too much money if it won't pan out, so am wanting to use the old string for now.

As far as a new low end bow vs. my old high end bow. I hadn't considered that before and you are undoubtedly right about that, it kills me to think that. I just have to figure out a way to convince (myself and) my wife that I should buy a new bow even though I have one sitting here. Thanks for the info.
Moose-head

Postby cnelk » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

if in doubt, take it down to a bow shop and let them inspect the string, cables, serving and timing.

If the string, serving is frayed, I wouldnt try it, but if in good shape, and it was waxed earlier, it should be fine.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 03 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Heck, it doesnt hurt when a string breaks!! Just surprises you is all...lol
Some of my strings are over six years old, and I still use them. I always put my back up strings on my bows and shoot them for a few days, just to make sure all is still well. But like stated earlier, when in doubt, take it to an achery shop and have it looked at...
buglmin

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I still have my original Jennings compound. I think it is a 1970 or 1971 model. And it has the original string still on it. Looks to be in good shape but I ain't going to try it out. That string is about 43 years old!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Moose-head » 03 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Good news, I pulled it and the string, bow and shoulder all remained intact.
Moose-head