Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I've Been Kifarued! (grin)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just took the plunge with a Kifaru Pack, now I can see first hand what this packs all about? I've used many packs over the years but never one with this price tag. I can't wait to get it & put it through some real world testing. My good friend Aron helped me through the process to get the right one & fit, he's a good guy to deal with & was extremely helpful to a guy who needed lots of help. (grin) Pictures in use will be forthcoming!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: I've Been Kifarued! (grin)

Postby dotman » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

About time and yes I'm in the dentists chair as I type :)

So details man! What did you get? And what accessories?
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Here's the list.

ElkNut1

DT3 Bag Only CB w/Standard Lid 1 (4000cu")
24" Platform Frame Hunting CB 1
Composite Stay Set Flat Back 1
Hunting Belt Pouch Medium CB 2 ea
Hunting Belt Pouch Small CB 1 ea
Grab-it CB 1 ea
Grab It Lash Kit - CB
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mandrroofing » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Just bought an x2,I hope I made a good choice?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Swede » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

You guys are disgusting, but I am interested in the photos and report. Please tell me you hate the packs. Please! :mrgreen:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Herb » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Really!! :):)

I have 5 Kifaru packs, every time I go to sell one I think, "my son will love it!!"

Patrick and the Kifaru crew are GTG!!
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Herb » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I'm a 24" too, that duplex system will do anything.....'but 100+lbs is still a load.
Herb

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

mandrrofing, the X2 will serve you just fine, it's one tough pack. We've used them for several years now & they've never let us down. It will do everything you need it! I'm just trying out the Kifaru to see how it performs.

Herb, wow, that a lot of packs, why so many? Yes, but I understand it will handle the load much better, time will tell I will have it 3rd week of April & will give an honest evaluation.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Herb » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Why do many......yea....don't ask my wife.

If I'm not going to need to pack a meat load, day pack hunt, spike camp. I have a original and a G2, size the same for the most part, but the G2 has the independent suspension, no comparison.

Next two, G1 and G2 Siwash, G1 is 22" and fits better on me than the 24" G2. Love the panel load of the Siwash, so I keep them.

Last pack is a T2 Duplex. Used it last year, great pack, more uses than I used.

So, without getting rid of anything, I have five.
Herb

Postby cnelk » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

herb

Which one did I use last fall when we were packing out my bull?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:You guys are disgusting, but I am interested in the photos and report. Please tell me you hate the packs. Please! :mrgreen:

i just laughed and snorted..hahahah.

funny stuff Swede.

i have a secret savings pile. i have dog eared it either for a badass damacus knife from John Neeman..thanks to "magic" for lighting that fire under my butt..

or the Duplex, timberline2.

i really want to visit the shop in colorado when i buy one. i have seen one in person, and it is nice..really nice. i just find the website a tad confusing and daunting. they need a sketch to show me how to measure myself. i'm not even sure how you choose stay lengths. load lifters..? pftt! a mystery. i visit my sister in Denver soon. roadtrip..i might just go and knock on their door, with my bag of money. :D

congrats Elknut!! i did one trip with my Gregory..the last one. i lent the pack to someone and they messed up my settings..i cant get it back. for 12 miles downhill my pack was crooked on my back. fill it with meat, and i would have killed myself.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Herb » 03 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Cnelk, that was the G2 Siwash.
Herb

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Welp! There goes the old X-2 to the dumpster!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Paul.. will you use both waist pouches at the same time? Also, what's the total weight on that system? How about some pics when you have time. Very nice. You've been $aving! (grin)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 15]

WW, no way, that X2 is a fine pack!

Joe, not sure how many waist band pockets I'm using but picked up 3. I believe the pack weighs in at 6# - The X2 weighs 5#

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dreamingbig » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

You will like it Paul! I bought the duplex frame and cargo panel last year with two long pockets and two waist belts. Added the dt2 bag this year and it just shipped. I might pick up a grab it as well. They are worth every penny!
dreamingbig

Postby dotman » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

ElkNut1 wrote:WW, no way, that X2 is a fine pack!

Joe, not sure how many waist band pockets I'm using but picked up 3. I believe the pack weighs in at 6# - The X2 weighs 5#

ElkNut1

I have a feeling the X2 saw it's last hunting days in 2012 :). Might have to permanently mount it on the wall of honor :)
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I hope your right & I do like it!! (grin)

Tim, there's still lots of places the X2 will serve its purpose, I do a lot more than just elk hunt. On these other scouting & hunting ventures I do not need a 4000" cubic pack, plus I'm not sold on a Kirfaru yet as I haven't used it! I hope it holds up to the hype, we'll see?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

ElkNut1 wrote:I hope your right & I do like it!! (grin)

Tim, there's still lots of places the X2 will serve its purpose, I do a lot more than just elk hunt. On these other scouting & hunting ventures I do not need a 4000" cubic pack, plus I'm not sold on a Kirfaru yet as I haven't used it! I hope it holds up to the hype, we'll see?

ElkNut1

Just wait till you see how that 4000ci pack compresses down into a smaller pack the n the X2, it will become a do-all as it should at it's price point.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I'm glad you mentioned that compressing part, I had wondered about that actually? I really do hope it's all I hoped it would be. (grin) I can't wait to get it & put a 100# in both the Kifaru & the X2 & see & feel the difference, to me that will be the real test. Thanks for your comments I appreciate it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Indian Summer » 03 13, 2013 •  [Post 21]

"I can't wait to get it & put a 100# in both the Kifaru"

I can't wait to hear your report with 100 lbs in it. THAT is the final test of a day pack. I'm thinking about that exact pack with the T2 bag. I think a little more space would be worth a hair more weight when it comes to the heavier clothes if I'm still out there in late gun season.

I was so glad to see this thread.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 22]

The pack will not arrive for another month but I'll share my findings. This pack has nearly twice the carrying capacity of any pack I've owned this is why I opted for a 4000" & not bigger. I've carried 1/2 an elk on several occasions with the X2 for many miles & it's rated in the 2100" range so I should be good to go! Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 23]

plus you could add the meat shelf/chair thing later if you really feel the need to abuse your legs, lung, and general well being with a huge load.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 24]

I already did add the meat shelf with my order. Gotta be prepared! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Herb » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I think you will like them. I was the first in our party to use them....everyone uses them now.

Here's my system, I use the Ul pods to organize my pack, when I need to pack meat, put the meat in the pack close to the body and move the pods to the outside of the pack.

I used the DT2 last year, my hunting buddy swapped his T3 for a DT1 for this year.
Keeps the heavy stuff where it needs to be, works.
Herb

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Herb, I sure hope I do!!! They are a spendy unit, it looks like a great pack, we'll see! Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Congrats Paul! I have never used the Duplex frame but I have heard great things. If it's anything like my Timberline (which I know it is) you will love it. Just remember it may take some trail and error to get it adjusted perfectly. BTW, I have a few Bikini frames and two bags on order. I have a gear addiction I know!
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Conlan, do you think I should have the bikini frame instead? I do not know the difference between any of them? Aron is the one that suggested the frame I'm getting but do not know why? What's been your experience.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Paul, the duplex has a frame sheet and two stays. The bikini has two crossbars and two stays. The timberline just has two stays.

I had the duplex and timberline. I preferred the timberlines freedom of movement and the duplexes carrying ability.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby slim9300 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 30]

ElkNut1 wrote:Conlan, do you think I should have the bikini frame instead? I do not know the difference between any of them? Aron is the one that suggested the frame I'm getting but do not know why? What's been your experience.

ElkNut1

The duplex is a better load hauler especially for bone-in meat. I'm guessing you and Aron talked about what your "intentions" were for the pack and he picked the right one for you. It might be worth meeting up with someone local and looking at the Bikini and or the standard Timberline just to you can choose for yourself once you get your pack. In a few months everyone will have their Bikini frames/packs. I know Kifaru will be happy to swap you packs if you change your mind.
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Paul, I know a good trail that you can test how that load will ride! ;)

We would like to see some pics this summer when you're testing the pack on the trail!

Congrats, I have good things of the Kifaru packs
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Well I ended up updating the pack, it's now going to have the Bikini Frame & Kryptek Camo, it should be very nice! Can't wait to get it & give it a workout! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 33]

ElkNut1 wrote:Well I ended up updating the pack, it's now going to have the Bikini Frame & Kryptek Camo, it should be very nice! Can't wait to get it & give it a workout! (grin)

ElkNut1

I think you made the right choice. :)
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Thanks, I think so too, Aron was a great help & I truly value his expertise in the field. I'm excited to receive it & just stare at it! (grin)

Conlan, have you seen the Kryptek Camo? It's very cool.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 35]

ElkNut1 wrote:Well I ended up updating the pack, it's now going to have the Bikini Frame & Kryptek Camo, it should be very nice! Can't wait to get it & give it a workout! (grin)

ElkNut1

My original order was a black bikini and coyote brown highcamp, then Cabelas had a huge sale on kryptek gear in highlander. I haven't been a big camo fan but this kryptek highlander is so cool. I changed my highcamp bag to the highlander. :)

Also the kryptek gear has really impressed me, sold almost all my Kuiu gear and picked up pants, vest and fleece from kryptek and with it on sale spent just a little more then the cost of just the Kuiu attack pants.
dotman

Postby slim9300 » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 36]

ElkNut1 wrote:Thanks, I think so too, Aron was a great help & I truly value his expertise in the field. I'm excited to receive it & just stare at it! (grin)

Conlan, have you seen the Kryptek Camo? It's very cool.

ElkNut1

It's certainly a neat pattern. Now for the long wait!!!
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Yep sure a long wait but should be well worth it! When are you expecting your packs Conlan?

dotman, their line of kryptek clothing looks pretty cool too, I'd like to check a piece out!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 38]

ElkNut1 wrote:Yep sure a long wait but should be well worth it! When are you expecting your packs Conlan?

dotman, their line of kryptek clothing looks pretty cool too, I'd like to check a piece out!

ElkNut1

I should get my pack early April but I'm going to be gone for the last three weeks of the month. I'm will to bet that the dang boxes will sit at my house unopened for 2-3 weeks since they will certainly arrive after I leave. :(
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Conlan, bummer! Are you putting on one of your existing packs on the bikini frame or did you pick up another total outfit?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 40]

ElkNut1 wrote:Conlan, bummer! Are you putting on one of your existing packs on the bikini frame or did you pick up another total outfit?

ElkNut1

I bought both the flat back and the standard frame Bikinis and DT1 and High Camp 7k bags. I'm going to keep the pair I like the most.

I am going to keep my standard Timberline 1 no matter what as a backup pack (or for my hunting partner to use). :)
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 41]

Ahh, I see, thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ceng » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Thanks guys this is a dizzying but great thread. I'm thoroughly confused on pack buying. I am planning on buying a pack and want a do all pack. The Kifaru seems like it could be the best pack if you only have one pack, but there are so many options, so many variables. So I thought I would ask a few questions of all of you Kifaru experts out there. I want a pack that I can use as a day pack while hunting, and also pack out game (probably wishful thinking but hey it's what keeps me going). I also would like the pack for some bivouac trips or just good old fashioned back packing. That's my framework, now here are my questions.

1. Does the Kifaru Frame either bikini or huting platform lend itself to Day trip use? Is it noisy? Do the Stays catch on trees as you are sneeking on elk?
2. Is the fabric Kifaru uses quiet enough for wearing during stalking, and calling setups?
3.Are the frames too stiff for extended use with not much weight such as everyday for 8 days as a daypack?
4. Can you lash game to the frame without a pack bag or shelf on there?
5. Am I dillusional to think I can get one pack for everything, even if over the years I buy more pieces for the frame?
6. Part of me thinks I would be better off with a blue widow or something like that, but the lighter wieght and more comfort seems like it may be a cheap investment at least when your miles from the truck hauling a heavy load(hopefully meat but probably just a foolishly overpacked pack), any thoughts?

I'm sure I have more questions, perhaps a different pack is a better fit, I am willing to listen to any suggestions. I appreciate this forum and especially the objectivity that is offered. Thank you in advance.

Jake
ceng

First Name: Jake
Last Name: Cole

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 43]

Jake, my question to you is how much actual hunting do you do each year where a pack could be needed for all day hunts & packing quarters? You need a pack designed around your typical & expected use. Yes, without a doubt one pack can do it all. Not all hunters need a Kifaru.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ceng » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 44]

ElkNut1 wrote:Jake, my question to you is how much actual hunting do you do each year where a pack could be needed for all day hunts & packing quarters? You need a pack designed around your typical & expected use. Yes, without a doubt one pack can do it all. Not all hunters need a Kifaru.

ElkNut1

I am planning on an extended hunt in Montana this year for archery, I will probably spend 10 days there hopefully including 1-2 short overnights, I may also get to go on a pack in hunt in oregon for rifle elk. Also I hunt about 10-15 days in my local area deer hunting a year and plan on spending more time backpacking and hopefully a few pack trips into the wilderness for bow hunting deer. I probably won't need to pack quarters too often but a guy can hope right? (This schedule may be entirely too wishfull but it's nice to think it could happen) I also predator hunt with a pack for game calls etc. obviously don't need a pack frame for this but if it's comfortable for packing gear (calls, seat, long range rifle etc.) I think it's a valid point and probably I don't need a Kifaru. Unfortunately the sub-title of this section fits me, (gear for junkies) I really like getting the best thing for what I'm doing and plan on keeping it for my whole life. I initially thought about the X2 Eberl, but it didn't fit me very well. I certainly appreciate the advice. Maybe I'm just being to ambitious in my pack purchase.
ceng

Postby ceng » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 45]

I guess I should have started that last post off with.

Hello, my name is Jake this is my first meeting at "Gear Addicts Anonymous" I have a problem with buying too expensive of gear.

or at least admitting that your right I may be jumping the gun before defending my problem.

Thanks Elknut

Though I did forget the place where it will get the most use, I have been hiking 2-3 times a week up some ridges here sometimes with weight on my back to get in shape for said elk hunt in Montana. I have been borrowing packs, but would like to have my own so I could gradually increase the weight as I get closer. Yes I know another poor excuse.
ceng

Postby dotman » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 46]

Jake, all the Kifaru packs compress down to nothing. The Timberline series that has an internal frame will do everything you want in 1 pack. My T1 not DT1 was 7200ci and I could easily get it compressed down for day hunting smaller then a Eberlestock X2. My bikini has not arrived yet but the nice thing about the frame is I can run it with a bag to carry a ton of gear but also run just the frame with any combination of items or the bag. Really the Kifaru packs will meet any task you can put to it.

Here is my setup:

Bikini frame
Highcamp 4800ci bag
E&E for my lid
Small waist belt pocket
Grabit
Lash kit

And that is it, I have a few pullouts and stuff sacks for organizing but you could use any brand for that.

This setup gives me almost 6000ci and I can use my E&E on my frame to have a very organized day pack. I have a G1 meat bag to haul the meat that I just store in my E&E. Again this is a day hunt minimal setup, when taking more I'll keep my bag and putthe lager items in the bag but use the E&E to organize with. The E&E adds probably 14oz but it allows me to run and gun and I use it as my treestand daypack and gym bag so it gets used all the time.

For me the side pockets on the Timberline where too big to organize Nything other then jackets and clothes. I can strap my tripod to the pack and my spotter fits in my E&E or I'll keep it in the pack bag.

If you can afford it and want the best modular aspect I recommend the Bikini and then decide what bag will fit your needs best. This is the most modular system and the duplex frame is more then you would need and you may not like the bulk of it compared to an internal or the Bikini.

You will not be disappointed and these packs are quiet and no problem stalking with one on. I have had the KU5200 which is just a big bag and teaches you to organize which I then traded for a T1 and it is an amazing pack but was huge and I didn't really need the external pockets so when I sold the T1 to get the Bikini I went back to a bag without pockets because I have grown to prefer it.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 47]

dotman, thanks! I have not tried a Kifaru as of yet so it's good to hear about its abilities.

Jake, I asked about your intended use because there are so many available packs these days with lots of functions & price ranges. No need to spend 700.00-800.00 on a pack that will not be used enough throughout the course of a year or in the future. With so many guys only hitting the backcountry or elkwoods in general for 10 days or less a year an expensive pack is not necessary. The Badlands 2200, Eberlestock Blue Widow would suffice just fine in those situations & yes you can haul a load of meat out with them no problem. The general elk hunter will never exceed 110# of pack wt on his way out of the woods over elk country for 2-5 miles. These packs mentioned can be had for 200.00--300.00. If your intended use varies from this & you have plenty to spend then the sky is the limit! (grin)

These packs also are quiet & can be hunted with while on no problem. There's tons of other packs out there to consider & only you know your requirements!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 48]

ceng wrote:Thanks guys this is a dizzying but great thread. I'm thoroughly confused on pack buying. I am planning on buying a pack and want a do all pack. The Kifaru seems like it could be the best pack if you only have one pack, but there are so many options, so many variables. So I thought I would ask a few questions of all of you Kifaru experts out there. I want a pack that I can use as a day pack while hunting, and also pack out game (probably wishful thinking but hey it's what keeps me going). I also would like the pack for some bivouac trips or just good old fashioned back packing. That's my framework, now here are my questions.

1. Does the Kifaru Frame either bikini or huting platform lend itself to Day trip use? Is it noisy? Do the Stays catch on trees as you are sneeking on elk?
2. Is the fabric Kifaru uses quiet enough for wearing during stalking, and calling setups?
3.Are the frames too stiff for extended use with not much weight such as everyday for 8 days as a daypack?
4. Can you lash game to the frame without a pack bag or shelf on there?
5. Am I dillusional to think I can get one pack for everything, even if over the years I buy more pieces for the frame?
6. Part of me thinks I would be better off with a blue widow or something like that, but the lighter wieght and more comfort seems like it may be a cheap investment at least when your miles from the truck hauling a heavy load(hopefully meat but probably just a foolishly overpacked pack), any thoughts?

I'm sure I have more questions, perhaps a different pack is a better fit, I am willing to listen to any suggestions. I appreciate this forum and especially the objectivity that is offered. Thank you in advance.

Jake

Jake. PM me your cell number and a good time to call. I would be happy to provide my thoughts. I know exactly what you are going through right now. :)

-Conlan
slim9300

Postby ceng » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 49]

Thanks everybody for the info. Elknut your probably right, I guess I just thought if I'm gonna pay $350 for a Blue widow will I want to upgrade further down the road? I was hoping to justify it by buying a frame this year and bag the next, but as you mentioned probably more than I need. No I don't have an unlimited budget. Conlan I will pm you and appreciate any advice.

Thanks Again.

Jake
ceng

Postby ctdad » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 50]

I only "need" my pack about 10 days a year, but I do train with it a lot getting ready for those 10 days. I've had two $300 packs and they got the job done, but not very comfortably when loaded heavy. I recently spent $700 on a stone glacier pack. I've been training with it and I'm thoroughly impressed with how much better it carries heavy weight compared to what I've used in the past.

That said, when I was in college, I went on my first elk hunt with my school backpack. I could barely afford the tag so buying a new pack wasn't even a thought. I agree you don't have to have a high end pack to enjoy elk hunting. If you can afford it and you want one, knock yourself out.

I've never worn a kifaru so I'm not bashing them, but I do recommend the stone glacier.
ctdad