Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Badlands 2200... they sure got it right this time!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Badlands 2200... they sure got it right this time!

Postby Indian Summer » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just got off the phone with Dominick at Badlands. They replaced my old 2200 instead of repairing it. I'm having an online memorial service for those who would like to attend. :-( No flowers please.

BUT.. they sent me the current model which I do NOT want. He gave me their Fed Ex # to ship it back and said as long as I don't mind waiting until July I can have the new model. While I had him on the horn I took the opportunity to grill him about the new model. Wow! It'll be a long time before they have to think about another redesign. Probably never.

First.. they lost the pound by using a different foam core. That simple. No features were sacrificed. It went from 6.25 lbs to 5.25. Nice.

It still has the batwing design including the spotting scope pocket and tripod pouch. They did eliminate the zipper pockets that ran down the outside of the batwings... the ones that didn't hold much, and replaced them with the roomier pockets at the base of the batwing. The front waistbelt pockets are bigger too. Before when you had the belt cranked down they were useless.

The main compartment capacity has remained the same however the pack is shorter on the top end. AND... they got rid of the annoying flap on top that made opening the main compartment a pain in the butt to open & close.

The waistbelt is now shorter so it doesn't bottom out on you skinny guys. 3 horizontal rear straps instead of 2 which is sweet. Added the gun pouch which I think may also contain a bow from the bottom. Rear pocket zipper back up top and horizontal so you can access it with a jacket or quarter lashed on. Of course... the trademark of the 2200, the blaze orange meat flap contained in the lower pocket is still there.

I swear they must have read every feedback email I ever sent! :D

For those who want a day pack that can get an elk quarter out, but don't want to spend the big bucks, this could be your solution. No it's not a Kifaru but I don't drive a Corvette either. I've packed out many an elk on this pack. It is their original pack that put Badlands on the map and they took great care to make this latest model their gem for elk hunters. They retail for less than half that of a Kifaru. I haven't had a chance to try the pack on obviously but I'll give it two thumbs up sight unseen.
Attachments
2200.png
2200.png (263.8 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: New Badlands 2200... they sure got it right this time!

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Looks a heck of alot better than the original ones. I always hated those usless belt pockets that you had a hard time even squeezing a book a matches in to. I'll have to look them over the next time I go to Sportsmans.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Not available until July.

I hear ya WW... then if you could get the matchpack in there you'd never get it out. The new waist pockets are attached to the waist belt instead of being incorporated into it. Same with the batwing pockets... all functional now.

I'm really excited to be able to have calls, wind detector, and a rangefinder all within reach and more things accessible from outside the pack including my gps and headlamp. Priceless. The meat flap has 2 side straps too. Nothing will ever squirt out of there now. Also a cool Badlands logo on the back of it. The 2 lower sleeping bag straps have snap buckles now where before it just had tensioners.

It really is an ultimate design for a pack that size. I can easily do a 1 or 2 night spike from base camp with this pack. If you can carry an entire unboned hind quarter in the back you'll get a tent, pad, & everything else in the batwing/meatflap area with you bag on the bottom, food and clothes inside. I've done it.

My other one was beat to death but survived 10 or 11 hard seasons. I get excited when I get a new pack which isn't very often. Deciding which piece of gear goes where is like moving into a new house. The Badlands dude laughed at me when I say... wow man, phone call of the day. I almost said I love you man! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby erichunter14 » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Indian summer. You must have said the magic words because I talk to Dominic a few days ago when I brought my pack in for repairs and asked about the possibility of trading it in for a new pack thinking I would pay some amount for difference but he shot me down. Fortunately I was on my way to the International sportsmen's Expo where I decided 2 upgrade to an eberlestock pack instead. Needed a bigger pack and this one fit me being tall much better
erichunter14

Postby pointysticks » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

i have the second generation 2800..even pre-2200. i can live with the goofy hip pockets. i keep my tags in one, and nothing in the other..no, rolled up zipties in the other. the wing pockets that are triangular..comical. i have lighting stuff in one, and cutting stuff in the other..that is all that fits!!

^^all this i can tolerate.

the thing that bothers me the most? that water bladder bag!! ahhahahha..first it is square. it is flimsy. the key hook is in there!! my sharp keys with my bladder is pure genius.

having said all this, i did haul out an elk hind with ease. it felt good to pull out that orange flag and give the big leg an embrace with the bat wings. i was outta there. i will replace the pack soon, but i wont toss it. it is the pack that is very mediocre that i love. go figure.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 03 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I hear you on the bladder pouch. I use it for a map pocket. My bladder is in an insulated pouch with a loop that hangs from the key hook with a small caribiner. Who the hell carries keys???

As far as the magic words to Domenic.. not really. Rarely do they opt to replace a pack instead of repair. But mine was beaten to absolute death including mouse holes and as I had hoped... not worth fixing. As long as I stuck with the same model, a 2200 I could wait for the new model if I wanted to.
Indian Summer