Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tell us about a broadhead you (DON'T) like.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So many threads are about what's your favorite broadhead. But that never really tells anything to the rest of us other than that you like it and it's what you shoot. And chances are, the more it cost, the better you like it. You have to justify the hi price somehow. Right!

So here is a different angle for ya. Pick a head you have had actual experience with and tell us what you (DO NOT) like like about it. I'll kick it off.

For me, one of them would be the old PSE Brute from back in the mid-late 80s. Those things would fly like a dart out to about 20yards or so. And then they would take a sharp left hand turn every time. They wind planed like crazy.

Another popular one is the Montec. Good strong three blade head. But when I went to sharpen them, I found that none of the edges were actually true. There was always a slight arch or curve on every cutting edge on every blade that I had to work out with a course stone before I could begin the actual sharpening process. At over $10 bucks a wack, I expected something better.

This thread isn't to make fun of any head. But be honest and tell us of problems you have had with heads that you have actually owned.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby timberghost51 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I was extremely disappointed in the rage 2 blade...I put 2 rages into a brute corn fed whitetail 2 years ago both shots were quartering away but both arrows only penetrated about a few inches...I found one of the arrows in the brush while tracking and the broadhead was mangled...we looked for 2 days and finally found the deer with the other head still inside it looked fine...I was just disappointed in the overall penetration of them...I would try them again on deer just e more careful on my shot decision
timberghost51

First Name: matt
Last Name: mcmurray

Re: Tell us about a broadhead you (DON'T) like.

Postby pointysticks » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

anything that comes with a tiny allen wrench.

i helped a buddy put together some turkey heads..it had a allen wrench!! it was a tiny allen too. ridiculous.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby dotman » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I didn't like the montec or hellrazors, pretty much the same head but sharpening was not happening and I tossed them all.
dotman

Postby Indian Summer » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I'm not a fan of anything on the end of my arrow with moving parts. At 1 point I wanted to see what all the "Rage" was about so I tried one for turkey. Not only did the blades come open every time I breathed but I hit a big tom in the wingbut at 20 yards with my elk setup!!!! and it literally bounced right off and he ran away. It was like he had a bulletproof vest on. My mouth was hanging open. Eeeeee Baaaay

I love the heavy duty tried and proven bone cutting design of Muzzys. But I can't get them to fly to save my life.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Sean D. » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I am not a fan of the rage 2 blade, havn't tried the 3 blade and im not going to! A few years ago I shot a bull at 42 yards that spooked just as I shot, It hit him a little back and I decided to wait till morning to go after him found very little blood and ended up not finding him! Not really the broadheads fault but I was expecting more of a blood trail cause the deer I shot the year before with one left an amazing trail. 2 days after shooting that elk I shot another one at 18 yards perfectly broadside, hit him right behind the shoulder, the arrow looked like it deflected somehow cause as he ran away the fletchings were pointing straight forward. Spent the rest of that evening and the whole next day and never found that one either! Took the rest of the Rages off and went back to my Thunderheads, and 3 days later shot my bull that ran about 80 yards before falling over dead!
Sean D.

First Name: Sean
Last Name: D

Postby buglmin » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bear Razor heads..say what you will, but they are junk, to soft, seen a lot of them bent from hitting bone...
Muzzy, and no, they are a great broadhead, but after they sold the company and what they did to the guys on the shooting staff that deserve it but werent offered contracts cause they aint on a tv show...
Abowyer..needs a lot better quality control. For the price of the heads, every one should weigh within 2 grains, not be off as much as 15 grains per broadhead.
Magnus Stingers...cause no matter what you shoot them from or how fast you shoot them, the sob's still hit with the field points!!
buglmin

Postby erichunter14 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I tried the rage (3 blade) and was extremely shocked. shot a spike elk at 30 yards broadside. Somehow the arrow exited the animal on the same side it entered. After putting 3 or 4 more arrows in him I found that first 1 hit a rib and went crazy. I am 6 foot 3 inches so my arrows are extremely heavy. They may work well for deer but can't hold up to an Elks bone. Although they did shoot just like my field tips. Never dared to try them again on Elk. Have been using A fixed Montec since and have not had any issues on 4 elk since...although I tried to sharpen 1 but all it seems to do was dull it more.
erichunter14

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I couldn't get the 3 blade muzzys to fly out of my alpine very well. I've had great luck over the years with the older, heavier 3 or 4 blade muzzys shooting fingers but with my newer bow and a release, the muzzys just won't fly straight. May just be me :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ironhead22 » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I tried to post a picture of it but was to big and not sure how to resize on my phone but i gave rage 2 blades a try, hit a small doe maybe 100-115 lbs right in the shoulder it pushed the insert back into the arrow bent the tip almost 90° and snapped one blade off. Needless to say i threw the others away and quickly went back to muzzys
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Broken arrow » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hey buglmin, what about Zwickey or Magnus? I've curled tips on all 3. I just can't turn away from bears though and do agree but man I can make them shaving sharp!!!
Anybody remember Kolpin twister heads? Shot a buck in the shoulder with one it just fell apart. Got maybe 2 in penetration.
Broken arrow

Postby buglmin » 03 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Broken Arrow...
I think the Zwickey and Magnus are a lil stronger steel, and a stronger made broadhead. The bleeders are a joke, and if i was using it as a two blade, Id find a better head. Lots of guys use them, but only cause its a BEAR RAZORHEAD!! Something to do with the romance thing and religous thing bout shooting a stick bow...I dunno man...
I the Solid Broadhead Im shooting now is really impressing me, cant wait for my new recurve to be done so I can get my arrows tuned, finally something to bring a lil joy to my life...lol. Just hate the spine of arrows Im stuck with, Hate adding tip weight like you have to on a bow that is in between spines... maybe I need to just stick with woods...
buglmin

Postby Broken arrow » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 13]

You should!!!! What's better than wood! Yeah yeah I know a lot of guys do the aluminum or carbon but there is just something about wood arrows guess the same as razorheads. Lol to each his own so please don't think I'm trying to pick a fight was just wondering if you had a bad experience? Have you tried Simmons? Awesome head! I shot a doe at 6yds quartering to entered just behind the shoulder and exited her back leg 10 minutes later complete pass through on another doe 12yrds broadside stuck in the dirt she made it 20 yards. But just like you said I just love those greenies:) can't help it. I also have only ever shot a patch and round ball. I'm old fashion I guess.
Broken arrow

Postby Freebird134 » 03 16, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Ulmer edge
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby BowKill » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Rage:( put them on and could see that they were not meant for runnin and gunnin elk. What I mean is the blades would open if you shook the arrow, not good IMO.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby romey » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Im not a fan of Shuttle Ts. Very dull out of the box and didnt stay sharp when worked on so I bought a second set thinking the first set was just a flawed set but second set was same way. Screwed my Wasps back on and wondered why I thought of changing..
romey

First Name: Romey
Last Name: B

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I avoid broadheads with a ferrule significantly larger in diameter than the shaft of my arrow. I have found they just don't fly as well as the smaller ferruled ones.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ironhead22 » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

This is the rage after shoulder hit on 100lb doe!
Attachments
IMG_201303206167.jpg
IMG_201303206167.jpg (45.73 KiB) Viewed 6517 times
ironhead22

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 19]

ironhead22,
That looks to be a shaft problem? Not sure I guess but I have never had a problem with rage 3 blade or 2 blade. Actually both gave me really good results on the deer I shot. But that is where I draw the line from reading bad stories about deer and hunting even bigger game like elk. That's why I made the switch to the viper tricks. But I guess I have to say I am lucky so far to not of had a bad experience yet.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby ironhead22 » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I'm very anal about my equipment and check it often, that being said i know things fail and anything can happen but it put a very bad taste in my mouth for rage.
ironhead22

Postby eriks. » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Hey Broken arrow, I still have a couple of the old Kolpins in my archery tackle box. I've tried to keep at least one of each kind I've ever used.

I have to jump on the Rage bandwagon. I never lost a deer that I shot with the 3 blade model (killed 3), but I never got very good penetration with them either. I do use them for spring turkey hunting and have had very good success there though. Indian Summer, I think the turkeys in MO must not take me as seriously as the ones you hunt obviously do you- no bullet or arrow proof vests have been invested in over here to my knowledge! :D
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 22]

mecanical broad heads! Why would you spend all that time and money for the oportunity at an elk then shoot something that can fail at it. Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby chainsaw » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Rage 3 Blade. I shot a spike bull behind the shoulder at 6 yards, maybe 1 inch of penetration and I watched in horror as the bull ran off. A field point would have killed that elk at that range. Very disappointed and sick. But thankfully, I saw that bull days later and he was fine. I will not use that broadhead.
chainsaw

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Jones