Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

quiver suggestions?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

quiver suggestions?

Postby wawhitey » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

okay so this is going to be my first year hunting archery seasons. trying to figure out what to do about a quiver. i dont really want to mount one on my bow, however i dont really have any logical reason for this, maybe just asthetics, i dont know. using a wooden longbow my brother made for me, dont want really want to add a quiver to it. im also thinking a hip quiver wouldnt work for me, for one because i already carry a sidearm and knife on my hip in the woods, also i feel it would just add more width to my profile, making stalking harder if thats what i have to do. wider profile = hitting more brush / etc. that pretty much leaves me with a back quiver, but i dont go in the woods without at least a light backpack to carry some essentials like rope / extra knife / bone saw / flashlight / water / fire starters. so does anybody have any good recommendations? such as a back quiver that would work with a light backpack? any input would be appreciated
wawhitey

Re: quiver suggestions?

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Wish I had the perfect answer for you but I don't! I prefer the quiver on my bow, this way I can get to my arrows very quickly or reinstall them into my quiver & move if need be for a different setup. If your quiver is in such an area that you cannot get to arrows or put them back fast it can cost you an elk or be dangerous as you frantically try to get one out or put one back, those razor sharp heads are not forgiving & when you can't see what you're doing clearly it can be a dangerous thing. I prefer the quiver on the longbow & it doesn't effect my bows shooting ability. You never know when you may need that 2nd arrow too!

ElkNut1
Attachments
2 Paul 5 point bull 2006.jpg
2 Paul 5 point bull 2006.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

It sounds to me like you are leaning towards back quiver. There are many types and styles to choose from. And many will fit right along the side of your backpack. I'll bet with a little ingenuity you can figure that out.
But when it comes right down to, choosing the right quiver is no different than choosing a broadhead you like our a bow you like, or any other item you hunt with. We are all individuals and each has individual preferences.. Hope this helps a little bit and good luck with your search.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby buglmin » 03 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

My suggestion might surprise a few on here, and if word gets back to him...well, you know...
Look into something like the G Fred Asbell quiver. Its a bowquiver, six arrow, with a canvas strap attached to it that you can carry over your shoulders in hundreds of positions. It works really really well. Ive used one and I like it, just dont like admitting it. The arrows are out of the way, but always close at hand.
I dont like a bow quiver on any of my bows, to many years shooting competion. If I was in a treestand, Id use my James Greene leg quiver that Randy Ulmer helped design. But now I use a mini catquiver attached to my pack...took a while to get used to, but the more I use it, the more I love it. I use the piggy backers to carry my judeos and rubber blunts, and use the catquiver when I hunt with my recurves or my compounds...works perfect and keeps the weight off my bows.
buglmin

Postby trapperjay » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

My friend Rod Jenkins also makes a great side/back quiver. I highly recommend the Arrowmaster model. You can see them at www.safarituff.com.
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner