Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ultralight (UL) or Light Backpacking Gear List for newbies

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby mtnmutt » 03 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We are starting to see some folks asking questions about backpacking gear. Lots of new people want to do bivy hunts. There are many tents that are UL. I personally want the luxury of my BA Fly Creek UL2 at 2.6lbs. Having a squirrel run across my face is not appealing to me.

Can you guys who bivy or backpack list your gear to help the new guys start their own list for their Western backpacking hunt trip.

Its hard to have a light backpack for hunting. Mine is 20-24lbs without hunting gear if I am carrying 2 L water (water is very heavy). It was 30-35 lbs last Sept for elk backpacking hunting and that did not include my bow.

Here is a book that helped me, plus I went to a talk by the author. I have also gone to the free REI night clinic and taking classes with Co Mtn Club which included a backpacking field trip. I am not an ultralight backpacker. I may fall in the light backpacking category. I was very stupid 2 years ago about backpacking until I got educated about it. My packs are volume challenged because of my 16" torso, so I had to go lightweight to fit stuff. For hunting, I had to ditch my lightweight alcohol stove and do cold camping because of space limitations.

The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide by Andrew Skurka. He backpacked around the entire state of Alaska. He lives in CO. This book goes over gear and planning the backpack. It can be used as a reference guide or read it straight through.

Weigh everything that goes into your pack and put it in a spreadsheet that calculates your rough total weight.

Most importantly, try your gear in your woods or field before heading West for your elk hunt.

Some gotchas for people from the East and South is mountain weather and altitude which is for another topic in the elk forum for someone else to start.

If you don't sleep and don't have the gear to help you recover at night from chasing elk, you will not last long on the hunt and you won't enjoy it.

I did not list all my gear because I am a woman and you guys are not likely to fit my gear, but here are some teasers on sleeping quilts/bags:
Enlightened Equipment RevelationX 20% overfill down quilt 22.7 oz - many options, cheaper than bags and weigh less than bags
Feathered Friends 20F Egret Down Sleeping Bag 28 oz
Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20F down sleeping bag 29oz, I prefer the Feathered Friends bag.

A lot of people here will never use a down bag. I have not had a problem in CO with using one. I use a pack liner to avoid getting it wet.

Good luck on your backpacking hunt this Fall.
mtnmutt

Re: Ultralight (UL) or Light Backpacking Gear List for newbi

Postby Z Barebow » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

One of the best things to do is purchase a scale. (I use one that maxes out at 8 pounds) I weigh every piece of gear, document it to the ounce, and plug the equipment description and weight into the spread sheet. Using formula feature, I sum the weight of the equipment.(Let's call this the Master Sheet)

I then have a second sheet for actual hunt equipment to carry. (I actually have two sheets, one for elk hunts and a seperate for mulies). I do this because of subtle differences. EX I don't need calls for MD, and many times I am day hunting for MD and out of a base camp vs for elk I am backpacking out for ~ 7 days. For elk, I even have a seperate column for items to grab for resupply. (EX Itemized Food list, contact solution, batteries, etc)

Using this method, I can add/delete gear and see the impact on my pack weight. EX. I recently purchased a Russell mid layer jacket. It will replace my fleece layer. I can see the weight savings impact on my sheet.

Even if you are backpacking, I have some equipment on the list that stays in the truck. (EX Coolers, gambrel w/ block and tackle, cutting board with wrapping materials, etc) You get the picture.

BTW. I also purchased a UL Fly Creek 2 in teh off season and looking forward to putting it through it's paces!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby sreekers » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I can put together a list here soon. Truthfully the best thing anyone can do to figure out gear is to use their own, develop their own preferences. At the same time figure out what you can and can't live without. Experience will always trump all.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby sreekers » 03 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

BTW, Rockchucker30 and I are working on a blog right now on how to prepare for altitude.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've got a list in excel of all my gear, and I weigh everything down to the ounce. Then by putting an "x" in the box beside the things I take it automatically calculates my base weight, my pack weight, and my skin out weight.

My goal this year is under 30 lbs w/o water.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby sreekers » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Sleep System:
Thermarest Neo Air-Long
Kifaru Woobie(Warm Weather)
Down Right Bag Long(Cold Weather)

ShelterSystem
Solo Trips:
LBO Base(Warm, dry weather)
LBO Base/Vestibule(Warm, possibility of rain/snow)

Double Trips:
Double LBO Bases(Warm and fast scouting trips)
SO First Generation 6(Most trips after Sept. 1, when snow is a possibility and a stove is necessary)
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby kevin_t » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The lightest I have went was 27 all in (Rifle, spotter, Tripod , Rangefinder ) and the heaviest has been about 45.

On the lightest here is the lightweight section of the gear (my rifle is a Tikka 30-06 with a nice scope ..not the lightest). Several of these have lighter options but functionality may be reduced.

Bag - Enlightened 20 degree with over stuff , Long and Large (warning - a lot of folks go with to small a quilt and end up drafty and not liking quilts). Get something large enough. I have a nice new proto EE quilt that has some interesting features as well.
Insulated Bivy - Self made (temps were near single digits in the high basin in Nov)
LBO with Vestibule (for two guys). We pitched it using a stick found on site, partially open
Pads - Thermarest Prolite Torso + Full length Evazote pad
Tripod - Snipe pod
Spotter - Minox (the small one)
Alchohol stove / ti cup / basic nuts and jerky food
Pack - A ULA I modified the frame on. It's not a 100 lb pack, but a good 60 and I had a frame pack at the car in case for a second trip

I did carry a few luxury items
ID hot socks ... they were terrific , I wore them under my shoes while hunting in a few inches of snow. They helped keep the feet warm
The spotter was really a luxury, I didn't need it where we hunted, but i had never hunted the area before.
I did carry a gravity bag, that I was able to reconfigure my sawyer bottle into for more filtering at camp duties
I wish I had taken
A sibling series wood stove. It got cold that night, and we would have slept a lot better if we would have run a stove inside the tent before hand. The open fire, was barely enough. While the sibling is small and reduced functionality it would have done the warm up job.

Just with the analysis I have done, I think it's tough to beat 24 lbs for a 3 day , temp in the teens hunt, without really reducing functionality, reliability or really spending a lot of money.

Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I'm not good enough with computers to figure out how to post the gear list out of my excel file. If anyone wants the file for their own use just PM me or email me at ncolema30@yahoo.com.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Z Barebow is on it!

Get a scale and keep a record of each piece in an excel spreadsheet.

You then can keep track of all of your gear and it's weight. What I have done is turned this sheet into my pack list/checklist and weight planner, as I all I need to do is select the items and the sheet tallys the total weight for me.

Keep in mind, there is a small trade-off in UL with durability and comfort...it's part of the triple constraints!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby sreekers » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Clothing-I'm a big fan of layering, and don't feel like camo is a necessity, let alone matching camo. I build my system for the trip at hand based on what I have available below.

Base Layers:
Kuiu Merino Bottoms
Kuiu Merion 185 Top
First Lite Chama(2011)

Outer Layers:
First Lite Hoodie
First Lite Springer Vest
Kuiu Attack Pants
Kuiu Guide Jacket

Foot wear:
Wool Socks that I pull out of the drawer
Meindl Perfekt Hunters
Asolo Sasslongs
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby sreekers » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Pack-This could all change by this coming fall, but this is what I used this past season.

Kifaru G2 EMR Frame-Quick release buckles are nice on occasion.
Kifaru G2 Longhunter Guide Bag
Mystery Ranch Daypack Top Lid- Cut off all of the daypack straps and excess cut off. There is still a bit more that I am thinking about cutting off.
2 qt Pockets on belt-This will change by this season for sure, little heavy.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

For those new to getting your pack weight down, these 3 things are usually where the weight savings is most found. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive. Watch craiglist in Spring and early Summer for people switching out their gear. Backpackinglight.com Forum->Gear Swap (used items; downside is you need to be a forum member at $5/yr for forum posting.)
Pack
Gregory XS Deva 70 4150cuin 68L 89oz - noisier than hunting pack but durable - I can't fit into most woman's packs let alone a man's

Shelter System
BA Fly Creek UL2 42oz
Ground sheet polycryo 1.4 oz

Sleep System
FF 20F Egret Sleeping Bag 28 oz or Enlightened Equipment Down Quilt 20F 30% overfill 22.7 oz
Exped SynMat UL 7 Small 15.05 oz
Exped Schnozzel Pumpbag 2.25 oz doubles as a pack liner
This Clothing is not used during hunting, but can be used around camp - I don't care for bag liners.
Gray Wool Hat 2.2 oz
Smartwool socks 1.8 oz
Icebreaker light 150 wool longsleeve 5.45 oz
Marmot Lite Long Johns Poly 5 oz
WM Flash Down Pants 6.5 oz - if I take the quilt and not the down sleeping bag for temp <20 degrees
Marmot Venus 800 fill Down Jacket 12.9 oz - if I take the quilt and not the down sleeping bag for temp <20 degrees
WM Flash Down Booties 3 oz - my feet get cold, I love these things, oz for oz warmer than just socks

WM - Western Mountaineering - large outdoor company
FF - Feathered Friends - small outdoor company in WA
EE - Enlightened Equipment Quilts - small op in MN, great guy to deal with. Can be customized a lot. Needs lead time for them to make it.

backpackinglight.com had a gear spreadsheet contest, the top 3 winners have their sample spreadsheets available for you to download and use as a template.. Great way to track your total weight and checkoff your gear as you pack.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... U9Yblc0-8B
mtnmutt

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 13]

There are some nice gear lists here!

Here is what I use on my extended trips:
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab
Exped Shrink Bags XS - 2
Exped Packsacks to seperate smaller gear - 3
Granite Gear Storm Cell Pack Fly
Velcro strips to shorten straps - 4
Platapus II
Exped Explorer 130 SA Trekking Poles

Hilleberg Soulo
Hilleberg Stakes
Hilleberg Footprint
Adventure Medical Emergency Bivvy

Valandre Mirage - use during to temps down to 15*F
Exped Airmat Basic UL 7.5 - use during to temps down to 15*F
Valandre Bloody Mary - use during colder temps below 15*F
Exped Downmat Pump UL 7 - use during colder temps below 40*F

Petzl Tikka
Petzl e+LITE
SPOT PLB
Android phone
Garmin 60CSx
Powertraveller PowerMonkey Extreme
Opti-Logic Micro I Rangefinder
Iridium Extreme 9575 sat phone - for trips more than 5 miles from trail
Highgear Pack Watch

FireSteel Armageddon
Vaseline Cotton Balls/Steelwool(20/1)
7.5 minute USGS Map in 1 gal ZipLoc bag
Silva Ranger compass
Pocket Sized UTM Grid Overlay
1 Gallon ZipLock Bags(2)
50' Paracord
Flagging Tape
ElkNut's Playbook - for Elk Hunting
Bear Spray
Spare batteries for camera/GPS, rangefinder, headlamp
Adventure Medical Ultralight / Watertight .9
Moleskin Two Strips 4 1/8" x 3 3/8"
Duct Tape

Vortex Razor HD 10x42
Outdoorsmans Compact Medium Tripod
Crooked Horn Bino Harness
Crooked Horn Wind Gauge

Outdoor Edge SwingBlaze
Outdoor Edge Nimbus
Gerber Crucial Multitool
Outdoor Edge Sharpener
Caribou Gear Carnivore II Meat Bags

JETBOIL Sōl Titanium or SOTO Micro Regulator Stove
JETBOIL Fuel 100g - (2)
Katadyn Vario Waterfilter
Katadyn Micropur Purification Tablets (30)
Mtn House meals
GORP
Jerky
PBHB Sandwiches
Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover
Wilderness Athlete Energy & Focus
Hammer Bars
Oatmeal/Cream of wheat packs

Layered clothing mixed of First Lite in ASAT and Sitka Gear
Sitka Gear Cloudburst Jacket & Pant
Extra Wool socks, switch mid-day daily
Handkerchief

There are a few other odds and ends that I left out. Additionally, the food amounts are in correlation to the duration of the trip, then I bring an extra day of food in case of an emergency.

Some quickshots of my pack at the trailhead ready for an 8 day backcountry elk bowhunt.
58lbs with water bladder full
The only pieces of gear not in/on the pack were my binos as I wear them in and my bow had not been strapped to the pack yet.

WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Broken arrow » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Here is my list for mid Sept Colorado.
Feel free to give me feed back

Item oz. ea. Qty. Total oz.
Eberlestock W/ spike duffel 134 1 134
Source 2 L bladder 7 1 7
100 ft para cord 4 1 4
Therma rest sleep pad 9 1 9
5'x7' lite tarp 9 1 9
Tent Nemo espri 2 70 1 70
Jet Boil flash w/ 100g fuel 22 1 22
Fuel for stove 100g 7 1 7
16oz bottle wide mouth 3 1 3
Coleman 20° down bag 47 1 47
Iodine tabs 3 1 3
Garmin Oregan 450T 7 1 7
First aid/ survival kit 7 1 7
Outdoor flip n blade w/saw 10 1 10
caribou solo hunter kill kit 16 1 16
Sony cyber shot camera 7 1 7
Headlamp 3 2 6
Recurve w/ 4 arrows 48 1 48
Vortex binos 24 1 24
Core 4 merino boxers 2 2 4
Liner socks 1 2 2
Smart wool medium hiker 3 2 6
ASAT syn bottom base layer 4 1 4
First lite Llano top 7 1 7
First lite springer vest 16 1 16
First lite labrador 19 1 19
Core4 element pants 29 1 29
Apex Gale 4 jacket 23 1 23
Cabelas rain jacket 24 1 24
Lowe renagade II 46 1 46
Otto gaiters 2 1 2
Core 4 ultru-lite beanie 0.5 1 0.5
2 L water 86 1 86
Moutain house meals 5.14 18 92.52
Instant oatmeal 1.72 10 17.2
Jerky 8 1 8
contractor bags 1.76 2 3.52
Trekking pole 9.5 2 19
Sawyer squeeze filter 4 1 4
AAA batteries 0.5 6 3
AA batteries 1 4 4
Buck pac-lite caper 3 1 3
Klymit inertia x frame 10.6 1 10.6
tortillas 10 1 10

Total Pack Weight Ounces 891.34 Total Pack Weight Pounds 55.71

Still missing a few things but this is almost everything including water what I am wearing or holding in hand. I'm guessing a total of 58 to 60 lbs for 12 days
Broken arrow

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Broken arrow you have a solid list there, thanks for sharing!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby G Posik » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Here is my list for September elk hunts. This is in excel format and can send to anyone who wants i.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby Broken arrow » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Thanks windedbowhunter!
I am already looking at changing a couple things for next year just not in this years budget. I am really liking the seek outside stuff more room for less weight I can handle a few bugs n critters. Might upgrade to a lighter pack and ditch a few odds n ends I don't really need. I don't really need much as long as I am warm dry have food n water I'm good. :)
Broken arrow

Postby mtnmutt » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 18]

You all have great lists.

Tip: repackage items into smaller containers. REI has lots of tiny lightweight containers.

Tip: use only lithium batteries. They weigh less, last longer and perform better in extreme temps.

Broken arrow,
One thing I would change your iodine tablets to Katadyn Micropur Purification Tablets. It will kill more things and not leave the yellow stain. The Katadyn downside is that it needs to be in an opaque container or out of the sun to work and they are more expensive than iodine.

Last year, I had to take water from a pond rather than a creek. I only use the Katatadyn and never have a problem. I never use a filter (less to pack and break). I use cheese cloth over the bottle when getting the water to get rid of bigger items. Little items (bugs) are called protein. ;)
mtnmutt

Postby slim9300 » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 19]

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1938544

I have some fine tuning to go in terms of food and snacks before hunting season but this is everything that is on my body minus my boots, the clothes on my back and my bow for a 10 day hunt. I normally carry in about 60 ounces of water when I know where I am going. Also, I give my partner my bivy and air pillow to carry since we share the MegaTarp. That's another 11 ounce savings that I don't account for.

Backpacking Items in Ounces

Kifaru Timberline w/ aluminum stays, belt pocket & standard lid - 97.0
Camelbak 100 Oz. hydration reservoir - 9.3
MSR Dromedary Bag (10 liter) - 4.7
Kifaru MegaTarp w/ MSR reflective guy lines & MSR stakes (14) - 33.3
TiGoat Raven Omni Bivy w/ bug mesh - 8.6
Marmot Helium sleeping bag w/ 10L Uberlight DrySack (15* / long) - 37
Sea to Summit silk / cotton bag liner - 6.0
Exped UL Air Pillow (Large) - 2.18
Exped SynMat UL 7 w/ patch kit (Medium w/ seam sealer lines) - 17.9
JetBoil SOL w/ 110g fuel canister & base support - 20.3
Long Titanium Spoon- 1.78
iPhone 5 w/ case - 4.48
Caribou Gear “The Carnivore Meat Bags” - 11.7
SPOT Tracking Device w/ lithium batteries- 7.38
Garmin Rino 530hcx w/ lithium pack & extra lithium battery pack - 14.54
Silva Compass - 2.74
Pentax WG-1 digital camera & mini flex tripod - 7.42
Nikon Monarch 10x42 Binos w/ Sitka Bino Bivy - 31.8
Nikon 880 Rangefinder - 8.7
Eye glasses & hard case - 4.88

Kuiu light-weight Merino wool crew, bottoms & gator (Large) - 14.1
Kuiu mid-weight Merino wool 1/4 zip shirts (X-Large) - 12.2
Kuiu SuperDown w/ hood (XL) - 11
Kuiu Chugach Rain Jacket and Pants (Large) - 31.8
SmartWool Hiker socks (2 pairs), UA beany & thin gloves - 10.0
Granite Gear 18L Uberlight DrySacks (4) - 2.96

Sawvivor 15" saw w/ bone and wood blades - 9.51
Gerber Gator knife & Havalon Piranta knife w/ 4 extra blade - 8.23
Allen wrenches (bow specific) - 1.22
Zebralight H600w XM-L w/ 16850 battery - 3.76
Large zipties (8) - 0.45
Mountain House dehydrated meals (10 @ 5.14 oz. average) - 51.4
Ritz SC&O Toasted Chips - 8.6
Instant Oatmeal packets (18 @ 1.72 oz.) - 30.96
PB/B/N Bagel Sandwiches (8) - 36.16
Snacks - Fruit Leather (16), PB crackers (8), trail mix (2 oz.), candy - 33.12
Slick Trick 100 grain Standard Broadheads (3) - 1.27
Crystal Light Packets (8) - 1.5
Dyneema IronWire cord (50' of orange) - 1.27
1-mil garbage bag (1) - 1.76
Cow calls, reeds & tube - 7.75
Camo face paint - 1.9
Flagging (20') - 0.3
Large Scent-A-Way field wipes (12) - 9.81
Optics lens cloth - 0.27
Small roll duct tape - 0.75
Toilet paper (ie. paper towels) - 2.5
First aid Kit (blister medic, superglue, pills, lighter, wet tinder, etc.) - 8.0
Scent-free deotorant- 3.0
Toothbrush & toothpaste - 1.5
Pristine Water Treatment Drops- 1.8
1/2 roll of folded paper towel (for drying boots) - 3.5
Wind checker - 1.01
Extra Lithium batteries (AA - 4 & 16850 battery w/ case) - 4.4
New Balance Minimus Trail Shoes - 10.0
Black Diamond Carbon Z-Lite Trekking Poles - 10.5

Total: 41.81 lbs
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Broken arrow wrote:Thanks windedbowhunter!
I am already looking at changing a couple things for next year just not in this years budget. I am really liking the seek outside stuff more room for less weight I can handle a few bugs n critters. Might upgrade to a lighter pack and ditch a few odds n ends I don't really need. I don't really need much as long as I am warm dry have food n water I'm good. :)

Broken arrow the SeekOutside gear does look very interesting. I would like to get my hands on one to test out in warmer weather as well as below freezing temps, as they look pretty slick!

I think that we all constantly tweak our pack items. My largest load is food, but year after year, I have been able to reduce its weight and real estate.

While I have decreased the weight in some areas, I have increased in others to improve comfort in my "wiser age". A great night of sleep is worth an extra 2-3 lbs in and out of the backcountry for me.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby sreekers » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Another trick for weight savings is to plan EXACTLY how much food is needed for each day. I use a plastic bag for every day and plan every meal and snack, and then it goes in the baggie with a label for the particular day. Its much easier to be conservative when meals are planned down to an exact number and snacks can't be overdone.

I used to use one large stuff sack for all of it and pretty much stuff it full. Some trips were feasts and well some were famines.... Learning to plan the right way makes a huge difference.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 22]

sreekers - That is exactly what I do, I use the quart bags and label each bag with the day in which I can use it. If I finish all the food before the end of the day...too bad! If there is leftovers...bonus!

The exception to this plan are the Mtn House meals for dinners.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby sreekers » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 23]

WindedBowhunter wrote:sreekers - That is exactly what I do, I use the quart bags and label each bag with the day in which I can use it. If I finish all the food before the end of the day...too bad! If there is leftovers...bonus!

The exception to this plan are the Mtn House meals for dinners.

IMO, food is where most of us tend to over do it. I don't remember what size I used, but my MH fit along with all of the other food. Its amazing how much food you don't have to take if you plan right.

The funniest thing is when you plan for 5 days in and both people kill on the first. I have had to stuff myself the night before to get rid of the extra weight of 4 days worth of food left....

sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Now, that's funny!

I agree with you that most do bring too much food, clothing and gadgets! Maybe we should hunt near one another, share our food rations! :)
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Broken arrow » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Mtnmutt the iodine tabs are only back up if something goes wrong with the sawyer. I'm gonna take them out of the bottles and seal them in a baggie from work that will get it to under an oz. also gonna switch out some of the MH for instant potatoes. Also thought about only taking a couple MH and opening the rest and putting them in smaller baggies.

Winded I can remember many nights sleeping on rocks while catfishing in my 20s no way I can do that now!!!!
Broken arrow

Postby sreekers » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Iodine tabs can double as a means to disinfect the area around a serious wound if needed. They weigh so little that they are in my emergency kit.

sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 27]

sreekers: thanks for the tip on iodine. I did not think of that.

I am replacing my orange paracord this year with: BlueWater 3mm NiteLine Utility Cord. It comes in orange reflective and is rated to 500lbft. It is mostly used for tent guylines, but you can use it to hang your meat and bear bag. I sometimes have difficulty locating my bear bag. The reflective line will help me find it faster in the dark.
mtnmutt

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 28]

The idodine tables are also great for cleaning your filter/pump upon returning from your trip!

I soak my filters in the solution like they were dentures.

On a side note, the Micropur tablets are "rumored" to be shipping again in late June. We have been inundated with pre-orders, as they had an issue with production and have not manufactured/shipped any since August 2012.

For cords, there are several very good companies making reflective cords. We have had great success with the Exped Dyneema Tencord. It is 49' in length, 2mm and weighs 1.4oz. We have used it for staking out, hanging meet, clothes line just to name a few of our uses.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby sreekers » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I'm still stuck in the dark ages and just use paracord. I have a buddy in the military who has rolls of it from previous deployments, and I am pretty cheap. I like to carry plenty with me for guy outs on my shelters.

sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby bowhunterty » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Always like seeing others lists. Helps decide on other equipment I need or what I don't need.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed