Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Backpacking tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Backpacking tent

Postby MTLongdraw » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What do you guys suggest for a tent for backpack hunting? Don't want a bivy sack. This would be used for archery season when it gets down to about 30 at night. Don't want to spend a ton but know that the more you spend the better you get. Just looking for a good mid line tent. Any suggestions?
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: Backpacking tent

Postby otcWill » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you want something you can pack, Kifaru makes the best of the best in light weight shelters. Big Agnes makes something for everything and is of high quality as well.
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Josh, not sure about pricing but we have a new Sponsor here "Seek Outside" that has a nice selection of backpacking tents. Here is his website. http://seekoutside.com/products/ultrali ... y-shelter/ Hopefully he'll notice your post & shed a bit more light that may assist you. In the meantime check him out.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby sreekers » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Seek Outside makes some great stuff. I have experience with a lot of their gear, and will have more by the end of this spring. Let me know if you have any questions.

How many people do you plan to put in it? What seasons will it primarily be used in?
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby dotman » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Here is a new one that looks very promising, also checkout golite. http://mountainsmith.com/index.php/moun ... er-lt.html
dotman

Postby dotman » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

ElkNut1 wrote:Josh, not sure about pricing but we have a new Sponsor here "Seek Outside" that has a nice selection of backpacking tents. Here is his website. http://seekoutside.com/products/ultrali ... y-shelter/ Hopefully he'll notice your post & shed a bit more light that may assist you. In the meantime check him out.

ElkNut1

Cool
dotman

Postby dotman » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I keep telling you guys that without a floor, the creepy crawlies are gonna crawl in your ears, and eat your eyeballs out. Rabid Pine Martens are gonna crawl under the edge of your tent and whizz on your boots. LOL :D . I do prefer a floor but it does add weight. My BA Lynx Pass is a bit over 4 pounds (if I remember right) which is several pounds over what the lightweight tarps weigh but it is a nice little tent, and, has a floor :). I think you can get one now for about 150 bones.

I do like the lightweight tents you guys have posted up so far. It's amazing how light they are.

Here's a pic of the BA Lynx Pass 2 tent from last year's hunt. BA makes lighter tents than the Lynx Pass but the price was right on this one. Did I mention that it has a floor ;)
Attachments
IMG_0028%20(640x480).jpg
IMG_0028%20(640x480).jpg (243.35 KiB) Viewed 26082 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Backpacking tent

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I've got a Seek Outside BCS which is pretty cool. It is a great solo shelter, and you can zip in an expander panel to make it a great two person shelter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363982388.836867.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363982388.836867.jpg (126.4 KiB) Viewed 26078 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363982455.098177.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363982455.098177.jpg (110.6 KiB) Viewed 26078 times

I'm playing around with an LBO right now which is amazingly versatile and truly UL.

Seek Outside offers a nest that fits inside its shelters that protects from bugs and basically turns it into a double wall tent. Nice that you can take it or not, depending on conditions.

I started out with a Eureka solo tent, moved to a couple of Hillebergs, then on to floorless shelters. I can't see myself going back to floored tents. So convenient to not have to deal with a floor.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby kevin_t » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Thanks for the introduction Elknut and thanks for providing kind words RockChucker30 and sreekers. We make a pretty full line of tents, from really large , to moderately small. All of our tents can use a bug nest, if floorless is not your thing. The LBO, the nest can attach in and be left attached and pitched quickly with the nest all it once. It really depends on what you are after and if you desire to use a stove or anything like that. For archery season, and 30 degrees, I would likely not carry a stove. If I was moving a lot , bivy style I would go with something small and if I was planning on more of a basecamp, I would probably take something larger. For most general use, I would probably favor the LBO out of our lineup, if you don't want standup height. It isn't small by any means, just not as large as the others. It really is incredibly versatile and in larger configurations is almost a 3 lb palace (not including nests). Since pieces can be added or removed you can make it suit your situation. If it's really buggy, take a nest, if you have a couple buddies joining you add in a couple pieces.

I need to add a sig line etc, but our stuff is at seekoutside.com and a few items will be in the store here, we just need to get all the images and stuff sent over.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me , or even Scott or Nathan as they have used a fair amount of our gear. We don't pay them, but they do contribute to our blog and provide testing and feedback on products.

Thanks
Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby Broken arrow » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Nemo makes some great light weight tents I have a nemo espri II that weights in at around 3-3 1/2 #
Broken arrow

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have been using my Hilleberg Soulo for 5 years now without issues or complaint.

I have had in the high heat, hail, heavy rains, 5+" of Virginia snow. I use this exclusively on all of my backcounty and A.T. trips. People I have hunted and hiked with seemed to have like their B.A. and Exped tents. If I had to rate them on their ease of setup, durability and size layout I would rate them Hilleberg, Exped, Big Agnes.

We are getting more A.T. hikers requesting the Exped shelters, for the past 2 years the customer feedback we have received has been very positive.

Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby mtnmutt » 03 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I agree with Phantom16 about four legged unwanted house guests in the backcountry, so I want a tent floor.

BA Fly Creek UL 2: 2.6 Lbs Expensive, but holds up well. Lighter Tents = more expensive. Last year, REI had it on sale for less than 20% off. It is never on sale. Try to find a used one.

If you want height, go with tipi style and use a pole for support.

Go to a store and practice setting them up and crawling in a out of them. At REI, they let you do this. I am sure most outdoor stores will let you do it. Setting one up in the dark and rain is the true test.

tarptent.com is another option, but I am not sold on single wall tents even in dry 20 night temps in CO. Last mid-September, I woke to a heavy thick frost. I am not sold on single wall tarp tents for CO mountains.

If you sign up for golite email, they have some weekly 60% off retail prices. Imogene UL2 is popular at the moment and is currently out of stock. I have seen the shelters on sale too, but rare.
mtnmutt

Postby sreekers » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

The 4 legged creepy crawly thing used to scare me too, but then I had an incident where a bunch of locusts got in, but couldn't get out of my bathtub style floored tent. Had to pick every one of them out.

My partner had a squirrel get stuck between the tarp and the main body of the tent. The screen wasn't going to keep that guy out if he wanted in.

Like others have said, the shelter has to match YOUR needs. Do as much research on every offering in size category YOU are looking for. If you can look at them first hand, do it. Figure out what you like and go with it.
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Wasnt sure if I should ask on here or start a new thread......
The two backpacking tents I am looking at is the easton kilo or the BA Fly Creek UL 2 anyone want to give there opinions on these.
I steered away from the bivey style and had thought about the eureka solo tent but read way too many bad reviews on the poles. Both of these tents are light weight and that is what im looking for. This tent would mainly be used in early to mid September hunts.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Backpacking tent

Postby Solitude » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I do not have the BA Fly Creek but the BA CS1 and the BA products are proven and solid IMO.
Solitude

Postby Willie makit » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Can someone recomend a backbacking tent for one or perhaps 2 persons that is made in USA?

I found the -LightHeart Solo - Custom-
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php ... ucts_id=23
redsolo.jpg
redsolo.jpg (131.96 KiB) Viewed 25896 times

Most are imported, I'm going out of my way to buy american as accumulate my gear.
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Backpacking tent

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Willie, take a look at the Lil Bug Out.

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultrali ... t-shelter/
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby ferris bugler » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have the Shangri-La from Go-Lite and personally don't really like it. There is too much space between the bottom and the ground and it lets in cold air at night. I have used others that are much better.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Backpacking tent

Postby pointysticks » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 20]

ferris bugler wrote:I have the Shangri-La from Go-Lite and personally don't really like it. There is too much space between the bottom and the ground and it lets in cold air at night. I have used others that are much better.

I have the too and can agree. I bet I can set it up tighter. At least there are no condensation probs:).
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby sreekers » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Here is a link to a write up I did on the LBO from Seek Outside.

http://sreekers81.blogspot.com/2012/11/ ... g-out.html
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

Postby kevin_t » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 22]

We are going to offer an option on the LBO for a sod skirt soon which will mitigate any draft issues

Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

Postby ferris bugler » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 23]

pointysticks wrote:I have the too and can agree. I bet I can set it up tighter. At least there are no condensation probs:).

I am considering trying to modify mine to eliminate the draft. The Sierra Design Origami fits much tighter to the ground. It's not as tall so it feels tight inside, but I'd rather be snug that cold.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby kevin_t » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 24]

ferris bugler wrote:
pointysticks wrote:I have the too and can agree. I bet I can set it up tighter. At least there are no condensation probs:).

I am considering trying to modify mine to eliminate the draft. The Sierra Design Origami fits much tighter to the ground. It's not as tall so it feels tight inside, but I'd rather be snug that cold.

We can do a sod skirt add on for a SL4 or 5 that eliminates the drafts.
http://store.seekoutside.com/sod-skirt-sl5/

Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

Backpacking tent

Postby slim9300 » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 25]

My Kifaru Megatarp is my goto UL "two man" shelter for my partner and I. It's very hard to beat its space to weight ratio. If I hunted solo I would own a Supertarp.

For anyone that's curious, the Megatarp is basically the size of a typical 6 man tent at a weight of 33.3 ounces w/ MSR reflective guy lines & 14 MSR stakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364684503.436057.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364684503.436057.jpg (141.47 KiB) Viewed 25817 times
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 26]

((((BA Fly Creek UL 2: 2.6 Lbs Expensive, but holds up well. Lighter Tents = more expensive. Last year, REI had it on sale for less than 20% off. It is never on sale. Try to find a used one.)))

Moosejaw has it on sale right now for 20% off if anyone is interested. I have been researching this topic for awhile and when I saw this I on sale I pulled the trigger. I can post later on its setup and what I think after I receive it in the mail. This tent will cut 3.5lbs out of my pack weight.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby trapperjay » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 27]

MT, did you make a decision on a tent yet?
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner