Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Diaphragm call recommendations

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Diaphragm call recommendations

Postby JGH » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I read that one of the bigger factors of working a diaphragm call is FIT.

And that therefore, finding a good fit is so important.

So, sitting here watching the snow, I'm thinking I should order a variety. My luck, though, is that if I pick these calls randomly, I'll end up with a bunch that are roughly the same fit.

So -- if you were going to order a reasonable size range of calls, what would your order look like?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Diaphragm call recommendations

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

John: Sometimes it isn't the size but rather the style that makes one call work better for a fellow. Usually a single reed is easiest to learn on. But here is what I would suggest. Get yourself one of each of these in a single reed style. #1 just a plain old regular diaphragm, #2 a plastic dome type one, and #3 a palate plate design one. Give Elknut a call and I'll bet he can help you out . I know he stocks all three styles.

Finding the right call is a trial and error thing. What works great for one guy might not be worth a dang for the next. Diaphragms are fairly cheap so pick up a few. You still have five months to get it right.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bowhunterty » 03 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

They also have thicker latex on some calls which require more tongue pressure. Try out different brands, they aren't all made the same plus sound different. I've used all the major brands and prefer Bugling Bulls and have had good success with those. But currently trying out some news and will use them this season.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby JGH » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks, guys.

I already know that the "dome"-type calls and I don't get along -- so they're off the list ... (unless there are differences about Primos domes that aren't seen in the others.)

I'll purchase a few. I had a Mellow Yellow in the past that seemed real easy to use.

I really need to work on my calling this year ... I'm finally to the point of being able to find elk, and close that distance to a couple hundred yards or less, but my calling practice was not a priority last year -- and it showed!
JGH

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

John, the Mellow Yellow & Closer Reeds will most likely be your best bet! I too do not care for plastic dome reeds, but the pallet plate ones seem to fit very nice with great tones!

When receiving response form elk go to them & use an ambush style if it fits, if it doesn't do not setup too far back & expect the elk to do all the work. If calling is needed use a "breeding sequence" this will attract all sorts of elk to your position, it may take 5-15min of continuous calling before they show up, be patient & be a good salesman. (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JGH » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks, Paul. I sent an order in before you replied.

My goal this year is to get used to using diaphragms for making both cow and bull sounds. I was "ok" last year -- according to me. The elk had some other comments and suggestions for me.

Do you have some more information on this "Breeding Sequence"?

It may not be what I want written on the internet about me, but I'd sure like to know about "Paul's Breeding Sequence".
JGH

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Would be very interested to know Elknuts recomendation for a novice caller?
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Bart, consider the Mellow Yellow & All Star mouth reeds. The All Star is a dome style but very narrow it feel, between those two you'll like one, both are very user friendly when used correctly. If any questions about their use go to the ElkNut Clips Forum & watch the Mouth Reed Use Clip. Thanks

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul