Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rest vs. bow sight

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rest vs. bow sight

Postby cnelk » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Curious as to everyone's thoughts regarding rests vs. sights.

If you were to spend ~$150 [+/-] would you spend it on a sight, or a rest?

Which one of these takes priority in your bow equipment?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Rest vs. bow sight

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Sight for sure. There are lots of good rests out there. Fall aways are more forgiving of form and torque mistakes, but even those aren't too expensive these days.

My Spot Hogg was expensive but is worth it IMO.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Rest vs. bow sight

Postby Solitude » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

For me it would be a toss I guess. It would depend on what I already had and was looking to upgrade. If it was still a toss up I would go with the rest as most guys shoot fixed pins (fairly reliable?) and drop away rests can get gunked up throughout the season IMO.
Solitude

Re: Rest vs. bow sight

Postby aron » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thats a tough one. For me, it would depend on which is in worse shape. I will be looking at upgrading one of the two on my bow this year. Currently I shoot a biscuit and want to go back to a drop away but my sight is in worst shape so I will more than likely get a new sight (something with 3rd axis adjustment) and just replace the biscuit section for the season and call it good.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby dapper » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I would spend it on the rest. It has a function which requires movement(talking about a drop away rest) with every shot. It has to perform this exactly the same and in the same manner with every shot. The sight is merely a stationery object that does nothing but give you a reference point.

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby Freebird134 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I guess it depends on the state of your current sight and rest. But, for me, $150 is not enough to buy the sights I like, but more than enough to buy the rests I like.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Sight! I've not even seen a 150.00 rest. I use a ripcord at present, they're somewhere in the 60.00 range.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bartfrncs » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I say get the best rest you can! Arrow flight is the most important factor here. sights are secondary to good arrow flight.
Bart
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby timberghost51 » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

i would say sight...i agree with paul you can easily get a ripcord for a good price and spend more on the sight
timberghost51

First Name: matt
Last Name: mcmurray

Postby cnelk » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Just as I thought...

Varied in degree of individual needs...
As a combination, I think BOTH a good sight and rest are needed

This is my combo....

Here is a $140 rest

Here is a $140 sight

cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby GetemDuck » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

As long as the sights hold their mark, I would start with the rest as others have said the rest controls arrow flight the sight just gives you an aiming tool if it is not losing zero per say then you will see more bang for your buck with the rest.

Just my 2 cents
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby ST52V » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I would go with the rest first and then a sight. A good rest will give you consistant arrow flight and allow you to put it where you want it. The best sight won't do you any good if you have a rest that is inconsistant and unreliable. Just my 2 cents.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby JJ Overkill » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

ST52V wrote:I would go with the rest first and then a sight. A good rest will give you consistant arrow flight and allow you to put it where you want it. The best sight won't do you any good if you have a rest that is inconsistant and unreliable. Just my 2 cents.

i would have to agree 100% i have a qad i bought in 2010, still works great today, if i had to guess id say ive put 1-2000 arrows through it. money was an issue when i bought my bow and went with an excpensive rest first, later added a axcell aroumortech hs.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby 8upbowhunter » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

ST52V wrote:I would go with the rest first and then a sight. A good rest will give you consistant arrow flight and allow you to put it where you want it. The best sight won't do you any good if you have a rest that is inconsistant and unreliable. Just my 2 cents.

I also agree, if you can only get one of them buy a good rest. When I started bow hunting some 30 years ago the quality of arrow rests and sights were no where near the quality of todays accessories and I can honestly say that arrow rests have given me way more problems than sights over the years.
8upbowhunter

Postby N5J » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Both are important but if your sight is in good shape get the rest. I have discovered every piece of equipment on your bow is important BUT keep it simple! Couple of years ago I was working my way through some heavy brush and when I finally got out of it I noticed I had 2 of my sight pin fibers broke! I wasn't a happy especially when I was 4 mile from camp. After that episode I have bought an axcel HD sight around $160...all the fibers are fully enclosed and it's built like a tank. Another year I had a bull elk at 40 yards, when I drew and released the arrow it went under his chest between it legs and hit a log. In disbelief I discovered my limb driver rest malfunctioned...loose allen screw causing the rest too only raise up 3/4 way! Now I shoot a whisker bisket for around $80. Doesn't matter how much you spend find something that is simple and you can repair yourself when you're in the field.

N5J
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Rest vs. bow sight

Postby pointysticks » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Rest. It touches the arrow. Any solid sight can do the job but the rest needs to work perfectly for a heathy arrow launch.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Rest vs. bow sight

Postby sleepymoe » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Arrow flight/accuracy most important, but you can get a real good value on a fall away rest for a modest price, and combine it with a real good sigjt for the extra money, and the practice practice practice, and a few arrows every day. I love my Spot Hogg
sleepymoe

First Name: Brice
Last Name: Medin