Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Carbon or Aluminum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Carbon or Aluminum

Postby JGH » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I need new arrows, as I'm going to increase my draw weight this year ...

So, I'm thinking about what arrow to get.

I'm not a long-range sniper ... I'm comfortable in the sub-40y range, and consider 40 "reaching" though completely reasonable for me.

So ... there are a lot of options out there for me, I think, and I'm thinking, as many are, that "Heavy" is probably preferable to "Light."

And then I'm thinking -- Is aluminum a reasonable thought?

What are your thoughts on what is most important in an arrow?

Newest bells and whistles like variable spine?
Lightweight?
Heavyweight?
Thin?
Thick?
Durability?

So ... here's the question for the forum: How do you set out to decide which arrow you use?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Carbon or Aluminum

Postby Freebird134 » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've used a lot of different ways to decide which arrow to use, but mostly I try stuff to see what works.

As far as weight goes, don't assume aluminum is the way to go. It's not too hard to build a 470-500g carbon arrow. I'm shooting 28" VAPs with stainless steel inserts and 100g heads, which I think put them around 470g.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Carbon or Aluminum

Postby Solitude » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

What type of game are you going after this year? Elk, antelope, whitetail?

Read a solid thread from a "famous elknut" that I believe ran penetration tests and found max penetration at 6.5-6.7 grains per pound of draw weight. I have uses this a a guide with success on my hunts.
Solitude

Postby JGH » 03 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Good point, re: What type of game.

This would be primarily an elk arrow.
JGH

Postby planebow » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

They should both shoot good out of your bow. I prefer carbon for the main reason is that I dont end up worrying about bent shafts.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ELKrazy » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

After years of using aluminum and carbon, I would recommend carbon for hunting.

More specifically, I would say go with something like the Easton Axis ST n-fused or Beman MFX bone collector, using brass inserts (either the easton ones or the three river archery ones).... to help up the FOC, up overall shaft weight and increase penetration along with better broadhead control.

Thin diameter carbons with heavy walls like the Axis are effected less by winddrift. They also increase penetration because of slim diameter and because they focus the KE into a more concentrated point.

Other similar arrows would be Victory VAPs, GoldTip Kinetics, Beman Nightfalls, Easton Injexion* and Muddy H1.

*Downfall to the Easton Injexion would be using their inserts which are not standard size. Only some BH companies make heads that fit. All of your old points/bhs also become worthless to the new system as they won't fit. You can use the muddy and victory inserts/half outserts in them though, which take industry standard threads.

Remember that if you are going with heavier inserts and increasing FOC you may need to go stiffer with the spine selection of the arrow. As long as you're shooing with a release aid, there's really no such thing as too stiff, so you can get away with going to one size stiffer if in doubt. However, if a finger shooter, you might need to do more testing between two spines to come away with the better choice.

I'm a firm believer in pretty high FOC for hunting arrows. It increases stability of the arrow allowing for easier broadhead flight. It increases penetration because you're concentrating more weight in one spot (where the cutting edges are), as opposed to spread all along the shaft.

However, as with anything, there are downsides. If you start getting into ultra high FOC, range estimation becomes increasingly more critical as trajectory falls off.

I personally like FOC around 15-19% for hunting arrows. It's easier to obtain that with carbons and keep arrow weight reasonable.

Good luck.
ELKrazy

First Name: Matt

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I use Easton FMJ's. They're a good mix of toughness, durability, accuracy, weight, and penetration. I have some arrows that are over 5 years old now and going strong. The only time I really have to retire one is if I'm practicing with BH's and nick one or shoot a judo at something too hard.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I took a nasty spill once and bent a quiver full of aluminum arrows. Hunt over!!!

For that reason I decided to give carbons a try. I have never looked back. I have never been a big fan about being suckered into the newest, latest, and greatest of anything. So think about what you are using your arrows for. I suppose if you are a target shooter, maybe the higher priced stuff might make the difference between a line cutter and a clear hit. But for hunting it's just a waste of money. JMHO! For that reason, something like Beaman ICS Hunter or the Easton equivlant works just fine for me as a hunting arrow. I mentioned these two brands because they both use Easton components which are readily available just about anywhere. To me that is real important if you build or repair your own arrows.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

How do I decide? I am too cheep to buy more!

I have dozens of 2315, 2317 and 2514's. I have them all fletched. Depending upon my draw weight and point weight, I will switch arrows.

I also use Flightmate adapters which allows me to use a larger broadhead. I like my Snuffer 145's. (adapters are difficult to find for carbons).

I guess I will switch to carbons when I break enough aluminums! (I don't mind when a should blade sheers them off!)
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby JGH » 03 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Well, I'm at the beginning stages of arrow shopping for this year. Thanks for the input.

My goal will be to find an arrow/broadhead combination that is:

affordable
available
effective for my style of hunting

I'll be back after looking over some possibilities. I think -- for now -- I'll stay with carbons. The idea of falling and bending 5-6 arrows all at once frightens me, especially since I often have my bow in a scabbard ... attached to a horse.
JGH

Postby trapperjay » 04 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I prefer easton alums. I believe they are more consistent in spine and tune much easier for me as a trad shooter only.
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner

Postby bowhunterty » 04 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Have used both. Prefer carbon but switched to FMJ's last year. Awesome penetration.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed