Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Anyone Using Moultrie Trail Cams?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm looking for a new Trail Camera & am considering the Moultrie line, maybe the m-80 or 150's. Any feedback on these or similar ones? Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Paul i had 2 m-80s i got for $80 each and jumped on them. They were the nicest cams I've used. I've never used really high dollar cams before, but I was never disappointed in my m-80s.....until they were stolen!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Anyone Using Moultrie Trail Cams?

Postby Swede » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I do not own a Moultrie trail cam, so what I know is pretty generic. With cheaper cameras you usually have to chose between a fast trigger or a good quality picture. If you are setting your camera up on a water hole, then trigger speed is usually not important. If you set you camera along a game trail, then trigger speed can ve very important unless you want to see just the hind quarters of the animal or only the normal scenery. Also check to see how far the sensor will pick up movement. Ya, I have mostly cheap cameras too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've had a lot of cams over the years, mostly for whitetails. The moultries I had were pretty slow on trigger time, but they were cheap. I've got some expensive hombrews that I built myself that are my favorites, but if I were putting them out on public land I'd get the cheapest decent camera I could.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Reconnyx makes great cameras with the fastest trigger speeds and excellent service. They are expensive too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede, I'd love to have a black flash Reconyx, but I wouldn't put one on public land. Those things are definitely pricey.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Guys thanks! I'm fine with slower photo shots, I'm not too worried about the perfect photo, more curious at the time of day a particular "destination spot" is being used. Yes it will be on public land, it's the only thing we hunt. Thanks

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Buckeye » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have used Moultrie cameras before with no issues, good camera for the money,even though they have a slow trigger speed. I also have some Wild game innovations that work pretty well. The reason I switched from them Moultrie to Wild game was Wild game has a sensor for motion and heat detection to take a photo where my old Moultrie's didn't. They just had a motion sensor, So I have less photos of a tree limbs blowing in the wind. Don't know if m80 has that feature or not.
Buckeye

First Name: Adam
Last Name: Bucher

Postby ctdad » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I own about 6 m80's and they work really well. Put lithium batteries in them and they'll work for about 8-10 months without needing new batteries. I give them a big thumbs up.
ctdad

Postby wawhitey » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 10]

if you do get a cam with slower trigger speed to put on a game trail, put it at like a 45 if you can, that will help with less blur and ass shots than if you had it at a 90. also, not sure if you can get lock boxes for those cameras, but i think spending a little more money to get a camera that has a lock box made for it is cheaper than replacing a stolen camera. doubt many cameras get stolen that have lock boxes and python cables on them. little velcro strap around a tree is just too tempting for your average scumbag.
wawhitey

Postby eltaco » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Paul, I used two M80XD cams last year and was VERY impressed. I would recommend them highly and I think the motion freeze tech was a good upgrade from the M80. I bought them last year for $120 each off of Yohe Mounts on AT. I think they have an even better Cam at the same pricepoint this year, so you might wait until closer to scouting season before you pull the trigger on some.

Trail cams are bittersweet... I've seen some phenomenal bulls for my area that I never got to see in person. I've also seen a few shooter bulls walk by just before or after I left the Cam. Some things are better unknown, lol!
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Thanks guys, this new info really helps me out! I'd heard good things about the Moultrie & their reasonable pricing this is why I was interested in them. They are going on public land but not many are fools enough to go where I do. (grin) Theft is a non-issue. Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby cnelk » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I love using trail cams.
They remind me of my trapping days. Cant wait to see what ya got!
I also use cheap cameras - StealthCam

Here are some pics of trail cam on a game trail near the Continental Divide.
But I never hunted the area... :)

Here is the tree and camera

Some elk....

Some deer...

and coyote...

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'm with cnelk. I just got into the trail cam stuff last year. Cabela's had the Stealth Cam on sale for $99 so I got a couple of them. I couldn't be happier. I think mine are 8 megpix and I saw them on the Sportsmans Guide website for $89. They usually run $149. The are infared at night so there is no flash to scare the animals and the trigger time seems to be plenty fast. And they are fairly small and easy to hide if you want to do that.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Moose Man » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I picked up some wildgame innovation ones on camofire, cheap but have worked as good or better than my much more expensive primos one. The main gripe I have with them is that the on/off button is on the outside and if you carry it in a pack, it will start. I avoid it by putting in the batteries on location. Aside from that, battery life is good, sensor range ok etc

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364491224.692917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364491224.692917.jpg (151.72 KiB) Viewed 9013 times
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby Lefty » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Check on battery usage. the Moultree I had 4 years back ;50's model. great pictures but really ate the D cell batteries and was expensive to run
My wife bought us a Bushnell off of Amazon for less than 1/2 price,.. a bit faster and way cheaper on the batteries

Trail cams can be their own addicting hobby
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkoholic » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I use Primos Truth Cam 35. Can pick them up from sportsmansguide for $89. The trigger is not the fastest but pics are pretty good quality.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby trapperjay » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Cnelk, if I was there I'd snare that coyote for you!

I dont use a moultrie but have a Uway 200. Real nice pics and video and not too expensive either.
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner

Postby BobcatJerry » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I have a Moultrie, 2 Stealth cam, Primos 35, and a Wildgame. I buy whatever is cheapest or best value when I go. The Moultrie has been the least reliable of all of them. It's a cheaper one, IR, but if I didn't have the set code memorized, it would have been out of service two years ago, as the LED display no longer works. Takes good pictures. I actually like the Wildgame best but it was a higher end camera in their line as I was trying to get videos of some thieves. Stealth Cams have been very reliable and inexpensive. Love to set the cameras, it is like going on a treasure hunt.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby Vanish » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I've had my Moultrie cam so long I don't remember what model it is. It must be at least 8 years old. It isn't perfect ... it really needs a lot of light to take color photos as opposed to IR photos, but it lasts a LONG time on one set of batteries and hasn't had any problems yet. If you read reviews of trail cams it seems like no matter what brand or model, sometimes the specific equipment is good and sometimes it is not.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby bowpackerrob » 04 02, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I like the Mountrie M-80s as well, living in whitetail country we run alot of cameras on food plots and so far it seems the M 80 has been one of the better ones for the money.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby SGH31 » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I have one M-80 (had 2 but one was stolen 2 months ago on private property :evil: ) and one M-100. I have 3 older Moultrie cams that I can't remember the model but they used 6V batteries and you can't read the display anymore. The M-80 and M-100 are very similar and they use 8 AA batteries and last a long time. First sets lasted 4 months and took 4000-5000 pics each. They have lots of options as far as multiple pictures in a row and delay settings. They also have a video mode, which is not very high quality and a plot stalker mode. They are also very small in size. About 5 in tall 3 in wide and 2 1/2 in thick. I bought the M-80's for $120 and the M-100 for $130.

I have also used other cameras with C and D batteries and they did not last long.

Whatever you do get a camera that takes AA Batteries and not C or D.

I looked at cases to lock them in and they are over $30 without the lock or cable. If I had to buy a case and padlock and a cable for every camera I have I could just buy a couple more cameras anyway. The one that was stolen 2 months ago is the first in 10 years.
SGH31

First Name: Seth

Postby SGH31 » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 23]

trigger speed of the M-80
Attachments
21.jpg
21.jpg (270.3 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (269.69 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
23.jpg
23.jpg (268.34 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
SGH31

First Name: Seth

Postby stickflngr » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Ive got a couple Moultrie D55ir XT's that I got off ebay for $60-70 apiece :) but havent got them in the woods yet but tested them in the back yard on the dogs and they work fine. Also been set up for around 6 weeks and havent killed the batteries yet....
stickflngr

Postby trapperjay » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Sgh31, pics are really neat there.
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Paul I had a few Moutries as they were stolen this past week! I found out this morning when I was done turkey hunting and went to check on them.

I use Moultrie and Covert, both have served me well. They provide all the information (barometer, moon phase, temperature, time, date and camera ID stamp) that I track and trend, take great pics and battery life is off the charts!

The new Moulties that were "misplaced" were the Moultrie D-555i & Moultrie Panoramic 150. They had only been on the property a few months, so no real results.

The Coverts are the MP6 & Special OPS Code Black & Extreme TLV. The TLV is a few years old and is just as good as the other models I have in the field. I run all my Coverts on 8AA batteries for a fair comparison, as the Special Ops can run up to 12AA in it.

I refreshed the batteries in all of the Coverts last Halloween give or take a day or two. The batteries are at 50% in all 3 cameras, they all have taken over 800 images. The settings are 5mp, no burst, day and night, flash set to 40'.

I will need to mount them higher and on a tree limb instead of the tree trunk!

The Special Ops is cool as it sends me a text message daily with how many pics were taken that day.

Moultrie is working on a messaging solution that will mirror Coverts solution, but adding a weekly and or monthly in addition to the instant, daily.

Paul, you can't go wrong with Moultrie!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 26, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Thanks a ton for the photos & everyones feedback, I think I'm going with a Moultrie!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul