Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Revalation quilt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Revalation quilt?

Postby Chad44 » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been looking at new sleeping bags and came across these quilts on rokslide.com. They look sweet. I'm wondering if anyone here has or uses one.
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Re: Revalation quilt?

Postby ST52V » 03 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't have one but I think it will be my next one. Right now I have 2 bags. My base camp bag is a 0 deg duck back bag from Cabelas. It's about 10 pounds and I have a 4 pound 0 deg kelty mummy bag for packing in. The quilt could save me weight and serve both functions.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Revalation quilt?

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Tim has been making quilts a long time for UL backpackers and hammockers. His stuff is just now getting noticed by the hunting crowd. The quilts are very highly regarded. I have a buddy with one and I'd really like one, but I have a Western Mountaineering bag already so it's hard to justify for me when I have other things to upgrade first.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Willie makit » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm shopping for gear, and got a lot to get. I like the look of the quilt, does he have a website, I saw a review and old post but missed website. Also like the looks of this tent, any users out there?
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php ... ucts_id=23
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Chad44 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

It's called enlightened equipment. Just goole that.
Chad44

Postby Willie makit » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

THx, looks good, made in USA, fair price, may have to pull trigger on one.
Is it better to go for the 0 deg and leave it open on warmer nights or try to hit your temperatures for your predicted season?
Ill be only hunting during august and september where evey the elk may be....
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby Chad44 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I'm wondering the same thing. From what I've read they have a ton of over fill so 0 might be overkill for archery. I'm thinking about doing the 20 or so. But I have no first hand experience. Rokslide has a good review on it.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthre ... -long-wide
Chad44

Revalation quilt?

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Temp ratings are very subjective. I sleep cold and would much rather have to vent than chance laying there shivering.

Last elk season at dusk I was sweaty from a long hard day, then it got dark and a slight breeze came up. I got chilled to the bone quick! It was great to get in my 5 degree WM bag with clothes on to warm up and dry out.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby sreekers » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I am in the same boat, i would rather have to figure out how to cool down rather than warm up.

If all goes according to plan, i will be in a quilt for deer season, and into the down bag for elk.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

EE Revelation X quilt is a version of the Revelation is cosmetic seconds material.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/pro ... ationx-20/

I have the Revelation X 20F overfill 20% (this option seems standard now). You cannot tell that the material is 2nd rate. Tim makes quality quilts.

I sleep cold. I use the 20F quilt with clothing for my summer scouting at 10,500 feet. I could get away with the 30F or 40F for summer, but I am too cheap to buy another quilt.

I switch to my Feathered Friends 20F down bag for September.

The trick for the quilt is to move the down around to the baffles where you most need it. Do this at home. Not when you are trying to fall asleep in your tent.
mtnmutt

Postby JGH » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I'm looking for a new sleeping system.

Currently: Big Agnes Encampment bag with Big Agnes IAC pad. It's a 20 degree bag, supposedly, but I shivered during last year's relatively warm elk season (archery). I "sleep cold" ... and don't like it one bit.

So, how is a quilt used? Why a quilt instead of a bag?

Oh ... and could a quilt be used WITH a bag?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby mtnmutt » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Instead of using a quilt with a bag, try using clothing. For sleep systems, incorporate clothing: merino wool and down items. You may also use those items around camp, but not for hunting. Clothing/bag or Clothing/quilt is more versatile. I don't think bag liners are versatile and they restrict my movement.

These items with quilt for temps no lower than 20 F. These items with 20F bag will keep me warm to 10 F and 5 F in a pinch with a better R rated pad than what I have.
Wool hat 2.2 oz
Wool socks 1.8 oz
WM Flash down booties 3 oz - I am getting old, so circulation to feet make for cold feet. I may try my running compression socks this year.
wool or poly long johns 5 oz
Icebreaker 150 weight merino wool top or sometimes just a silk top. 6 oz
Marmot UL Down sweater/jacket. 13 oz - used around camp after sun goes down
WM Flash Down pants 6.5 oz - it has to be very cold for me to use these

Quilt has the flexibility to vent (open up) better than a bag. Generally also lighter weight. I use mine for >25 F night temps.

My stuff. As you can see, I am not saving a lot on oz. I could buy the quilt 30F or 40 F for summer and get more weight savings.
EE Revelation X 20F overfill 5' 6" Wide 22.7 oz
Feather Friends Egret (Women's Small) 20 F 28 oz

Tip: remember to fluff your down every night before you climb into bag/quilt.

Tip: For more ground insulation, stack pine needles under your tent. Just make sure you have a ground sheet (tyvek, polycryo or a window/sliding glass door shrink thing from Lowes/Home Depot) under your shelter to prevent punctures.
mtnmutt

Postby Indian Summer » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Mntn Mutt you've turned out to be our local gear expert. You know WAY more than I do about lightqweight gear. Thanks for all of your input.

I'm with Rockchucker... hope for the best and plan for the worst. It's easy to hang a leg out or flop the bag off of you a little but try to get warm with an under rated bag..... The words safe than sorry come to mind.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby kevin_t » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I've used the enlightened quilts extensively. I have 4 currently, all 20 degree. Cooling off with a quilt is not much of an issue at all. In fact I regularly use them in my house. I have worked with Tim on a few things, and really like them. I have even used two 20 degree quilts and an insulated bivy down to -25 F. There are a few things to be aware of IMO with quilts.
- Don't undersize them on width. Go larger. Undersize will be draftier or require more care
- They have a tendency IMO to work better with air pads below 30 degrees. Once again this is because of drafts and the natural connection with an air pad creates a better seal.

Overall, I prefer quilts. If I use a bag, it's normally like a quilt. I don't like fussing with zippers in the middle of the night either. However, there are some other things you will need to become accustomed to. They are also easier to wear for additional insulation, but you still need to carry your insulating layers. They help to extend it, but it's not something you will walk around with in a snow storm or throw a rain jacket over

Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby Chad44 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Kevin, when using the quilt are you laying right on your pad? I use the big Agnes insulated air core pad. Would this work for a quilt?
Chad44

Postby kevin_t » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Yes I lay right on the pad. Yes the BA air core will work fine as long as it has air in it :) .

The quilts have a couple straps that go underneath the pad, it's almost like going to bed.

We are working with Tim and may offer a slightly modified version.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

Postby kevin_t » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 17]

We are carrying these quilts now. They are essentially the same with the addition of a draft collar

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-quilts-biv/
kevin_t
Site Sponsor