Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

dog vs framepack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

dog vs framepack

Postby bnsafe » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

my daughters 8 mos old lab chewed the waist strap of my framepack up. no i havnt shot the dog, but its still an option. so, has anybody ever tried to fix something like that. im thinking either buy some high density foam and stuff it in as best i can, duct tape the crap out of it, and come up with some kind of hook as the strap buckle is gone. or, i was thinking about calling a re upolsterer we used at work an see if he could re sew some snowmobile material we used at work around it and sew new straps on, or throw it all in the trash, sale the dog and buy a new one. its a cheaper cabelas alaskan model so not a great one, but still one i liked and worked. yall had any experience with this.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: dog vs framepack

Postby Freebird134 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

The joys of dog ownership! My experience with dogs is almost always it is my fault. Whatever they do wrong, me or the wife are ultimately to blame. I've lost plenty of stuff, and have been as mad as you, but part of owning a dog is accepting the risk and keeping important things out of reach! Our youngest (lab/golden cross) likes to go in my man cave and eat batteries--It's annoying, but I now have to make sure that door is always closed. I'm really sorry tho! It does suck!

Can you post some pics? Depending on the damage I bet you can fix it. Alternatively, a seamstress or even Cabelas might be able to repair it. You can buy webbing and buckles at REI or other stores.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby GetemDuck » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Just replace the waist strap with a ratchet tie down....:D

We have 3 yellow labs, the only chewer in the bunch is our youngest she just out grew the chewing this past year when she hit two.....thank goodness she has eatin' anything she could get her mouth on including the lil' ladies steering wheel in her truck....momma was not happy but I did laugh cuz it wasn't my truck.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby RockChucker30 » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

My experience is with the Cabelas Outfitter frame, but I imagine they're similar.....

I like the Kelty Cache Hauler waistbelt a lot better than the outfitter belt, so I would just buy a Kelty belt and replace the belt on your frame. I swapped the belt out on my Outfitter to play around with it, and it's not hard at all.

Just call Kelty, and tell them you want a Cache Hauler belt. They charged me $30 with shipping included. Then take the belt off your frame and put the Kelty on. It goes on with two pins and then the straps go around the frame. It's really not very hard. If the shoulder straps on yours adjusts in the middle like the outfitter you may have to jerry rig something there, but that should be the only problem.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby dotman » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Buy a new belt, checkout Hillpeople gear, they sell a updated belt and straps that I believe work with that frame. Price isn't crazy expensive either or order up a Kelty cache hauler frame without bag for less then $100.
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

thanks guys, i will check into that stuff.
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bnsafe, I would be interested in what you find out, as I have the same frame. My straps are fine, but it is good to know where to can get the right replacement parts. I don't have a dog or kid now, so things last longer around here.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 8]

when i figure it out swede i will tell ya what i did. i put it on last nite and it felt ok but im guessin with wt in it the plastic will cut right into me. i havnt had a chance to look at anything yet though
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 9]

swede, not much to tell you. i found an alps commander frame pack for 70 bucks that my cabelas bag would fit on, but nothing else. the kelty wouldnt work. so heres what i ended up doing. i went to walmart and bought some cotton insulation for 2 bucks. stuffed it into the torn areas and took zip ties and tied as much of the cover back together as i could. then i duck taped the heck out of it. bought a new strap buckle from walmart and am in the process of sewing it onto the top strap. then i zip tied the bottom straps that he chewed into back together. put 50 lbs in the pack and went walking around. it worked fine. looks terrible but works. i bought the alps commander with a bag so i am gonna have my son use the cabelas one this year until he proves he is gonna hunt.
bnsafe