Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Temptress Call

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Temptress Call

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

A few months ago, I got a Temptress open reed call from Elknut. I gave it a try and really didn't think a whole heck of alot of it so I threw it in the drawer with the rest of my junk. But every once in awhile I would open the drawer, take a look at it, and give it another try.

Finally, I decided I should really give the call a chance and I actually got some pretty darn good sounding cow mews out of it. And by placing my index finger over the two little holes in the top of it I found that I could muffle it and sound more like a bunch of cows and calves.

Then last week there was a fox out in the field behind my house. So, I ran in the house looking for my predator call. Dang! I couldn't find it. So, what the heck, I grabbed the Temptress and figured my chances were next to none using it but I'd play with it anyhow. Mush to my surprise I found out I could squeak it like a cottontail rabbit. And by moving my lips further down the reed, I could sound like a jack rabbit. The fox showed some interest and started my way. But by this time I was getting so impressed with the call that I tried a couple of barks and a coyote howl. Hmm! Well, that was game over for the fox. Guess he figured ole Wiley Coyote and beaten him to the dinner bell. But the barks and howl actually did sounded pretty dang good!

Over all, I found that the cow sounds were good as were the calf, coyote, cottontail, and jack rabbit. Who knows what else I'll come up with next. LOL! But for sure, even though I do all of my elk calling with a diaphragm, I will have the Temptress in my pocket for an extra added sound.

Did I mention that Elknut has them in his store?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics