Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Would it work or not?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Would it work or not?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been think'n! And that could be dangerous.

I'm a day hunter. But I like to pack enough gear and extra food to spend the night in case of an emergency or if I happen to find a nice bull around dark thirty and want to bed up with him just in case he is still in the area the next morning. So I have a tarp for shelter but a sleeping bag is just too bulky to be backing around everywhere.

So here is my idea. Do you remember the old quilted/insulated underware? They would be compact and weigh next to nothing. I just wander if that plus rain gear would keep a guy warm and dry in September. It would be water proof, windproof, and insulated. I already have a SOL emergency bivey that might work instead of the rain suit idea.

Now before you go thinking I've gone completely off my rocker, remember, this is just for one niter or emergency use. But I would like everyones thoughts.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Would it work or not?

Postby RockChucker30 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think it'll work, but probably won't be very comfortable.

I'd rather take a down jacket or insulating layer than quilted underwear that would only be used in case of a night out.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Would it work or not?

Postby RockChucker30 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Oh, and an evazote pad. Take one. The ground will freeze you if you don't have a UL foam pad at least.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Would it work or not?

Postby Lefty » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I carry an emergency bivi bag not the $10.00
http://www.rei.com/product/832336/sol-escape-bivy?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-832336&mr:referralID=a74de96a-9c9a-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0
Just weighs ounces
Instead of quilted underwear try adding fleese wear , lightweight. and could be worn if youre caught in trouble

Im plannig to add a
[url]
1.3 oz. Silicone Impregnated Ripstop
1.3 oz. silicone impregnated 30 denier, high tenacity, bright nylon ripstop with heat and light inhibitors. This amazing fabric has a tear strength of 15 pounds. Using this material is a great way to reduce weight. Perfect for the bilgy light tarp shelter pattern (as pictured to left), a stuff pack (as pictured to left), light weight tarps and more! This fabric is not fire retardant.
Width: 62"

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons.html?gclid=CK-pxfOyr7YCFaFxQgodKhoAuQ#1.3%20oz%20RS
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dotman » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Maybe consider adding one of these at just over 1lb, I'm sure when you add up the Sol Bivy and emergency long johns you'll get close to the same weight overall. This compresses way down and will keep you warmer then the emergency bivy.

http://store.kifaru.net/woobie-p72.aspx

Another idea is the weebie, it is 5oz lighter but only 61x61 and meant for kids. It is only around $25 less then a woobie so the woobie would probalby be worth the added cost and weight.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Sounds like you have a lighweight tarp for overhead and/or wind cover. I'm gonna pick up one of the Go Lite tarps soon (very light and still on sale for 59 bones). As opposed to packing the insulated long johns (a bit bulky for sure) You might consider picking up a lightweight sleeping bag liner to place in the bivy bag for those one nighters on the mountain.. They weigh next to nothing, compress down to inches, and would probably be a great addition to the bivy bag to keep you snug at night. As far as a pad goes, a few armfulls of dry field grass thrown down under the SOL would provide ample cushion. Just a few more options to consider.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thanks guys. All good replys.
>>>---WW---->

Postby cnelk » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

WW
There is no doubt that those long johns will keep you warm.
I have 2 pair of them that I use for ice fishing/snowmobiling
Those under a pair of jeans and I can stand out on the ice for several hours.

That being said, if you got 'em, use 'em how you see fit.
I think they would work good
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Ridgernr » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I sometime carry army field jacket liner as a layer for sleeping when using a light sleeping bag, double duty for extra layer if needed while glassing or sitting a game trail crossing
I have thought about the SOL bivy with this jacket liner and pants liner also

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/product ... ductID=944
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby ELKrazy » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 10]

To test the emergency and possible daily use of some gear I purchased, I tested the SOL Escape bivy down to 25* this winter.
I used the SOL SUV blanket as an emergency shelter.

I was trying to recreate a worst case emergency scenario, so I hiked until I was real sweaty on a cold, very windy, damp night. I wore only jeans and a t-shirt. I lasted four hours like that inside the bivy and shelter and the only reason I had to stop was because I had got my one foot soaking wet getting out of my boots into the bivy. (snow on the ground)

I found the combination of the tarp and bivy to be really warm. Like rockchucker said though, tons of heatloss to the ground. You definitely would be better off with a good pad for insulation. Not sure I would trust finding enough dry grass to insulate you from the ground. I'll have to look at the one he suggested, but I was looking at the thermarest Z-lite sol.

Unfortunately it looks like I've run out of 20* nights here, so I won't get to test my full "system". (which means I'll have to carry something more tried and true this Fall).....The "system" is actually SUV blankets sewn into an ultralight tent, polar fleece clothes (head to toe with balclava) and the SOL Escape bivy with a thermolite extreme bag liner, as well as large handwarmers. (get's cold - throw a handwarmer in the bivy with you)

This all easily fits into a daypack, the tent and sleeping bag system can fit into two canteen pouches. The polar fleece clothes are the bulkiest, but I had planned on bringing them anyway in case I did any "stand-hunting" on a colder day.

I do sleep warm, so you would definitely want to test this setup for yourself.
ELKrazy

First Name: Matt

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Gee! That is about the most positive test of the SOL bivey I have ever seen. Very encourageing! I'll have to give my system a check real soon. I think cnelk did a post about doing an equipment test run a few weeks ago. Thanks for the reply Matt.
>>>---WW---->

Would it work or not?

Postby kevin_t » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Why not carry a thermarest torso prolite an 8 ounce bivy and a 30 degree quilt plus maybe a all tarp and fire kit. 3 lbs and at least some comfort and the ability to stay out a couple days if need be. You could even drop the bivy for a large trash bag. Throw in a bottle of iodine tabs and you are in decent shape
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby ferris bugler » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I've met ultralight mountain climbers and have seen them use a down jacket and a half sleeping bag. You might try that. I like to be warm. If I don't sleep well I sleep through the morning hunt. I'm just not a tough as some of you guys. That's why I carry a large Marmot Plasma.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby kevin_t » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Ferris

I'm with you. That's why I say you can take a 20 degree quilt, half air pad, and small tarp for under 3 lbs. I might sound like a wimp, but when hunting December, I'll carry that anyway, in case I decide on a mid day siesta. Sometimes during mid day, you don't have a lot to do, and although squats and pushups work for a quick warm up they aren't very long lasting and if I can get a nice nap and prepare for a long night it's a fair trade off.

Kevin
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby baddaddy » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Might look at the Wiggy's bags.

Check this out.
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ ... N=41089976
baddaddy

Postby otcWill » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I say go for it! I do some minimalist style bivys all the time and if the weather gets too bad I just come out. That rarely happens b/c I can check the weather before I make these plans. I've slept many a night without shelter in the mountains and it is quite nice when the weather cooperates and when it doesn't, I usually can tough it out.
otcWill