Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sunglasses

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sunglasses

Postby JGH » 04 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm looking for some new sunglasses.

My eyes do a lot better with some shaded lenses. They don't wear out over the day.

That said, I don't want glasses with glare, so that I can use them while hunting, too.

Additionally, but not critically, I (ahem ...) need reading lenses at the bottom.

Ideas?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Sunglasses

Postby BobcatJerry » 04 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Maui Jim's are great, but pricey. I also have a set of Costa, polarized with readers. They are OK, and the had a hinge malfunction in the first 3 months, I believe it was their problem, they didn't, but it cost about me about $25 to get them fixed. I usually get some decent quality cheaper ones off the web, for hunting, encase I lose them.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Sunglasses

Postby Huntography » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've used the inexpensive Maxx polarized sunglasses for the last 2 years.

Only $19 in my local shop in Fort Collins.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby JGH » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I should've been a bit more specific.

I need BIFOCAL sunglasses. I've had some cheapies like that in the past, and they work OK, but never fit well.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like you need some prescription glasses. I have no line bifocals. Reading prescription on the bottom and plain glass on the top. They are photo gray lenses. I haven't worn sun glasses since I got them, no need. You can also get them with a no glare coating if you want that.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I had to give up on bifocals for archery. The line and reading lens would get in the way of seeing my target at times.

For progressives (no line) there is no peripheral vision. It is blurry. I depend a lot on my peripheral vision because of my hearing loss. I also want to see an elk in my peripheral vision.

Apparently, others do not have a problem with bifocals for archery like I do.

I bought regular glasses without bifocals and with the transition darkening anti-glare lenses for the sun. I don't use my prescription sunglasses. It gets a bit dark in the timber where I hunt. I don't want to have to switch between regular glasses and prescription sunglasses. It is one less thing to lose. I do have to take my glasses off to look at my map, so there is a chance I could lose my glasses when I do this. My reading lens isn't so bad that I need to have the bifocal lens.
mtnmutt

Postby ferris bugler » 04 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I suggest contacting someone at Smith or Oakley. Might as well talk to the real experts. I'm pretty sure they can put a prescription lens in a frame if you know the numbers.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby idahoghost » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Cabalas used to sell "Guideline". Reasonable price, good optics. I would recommend them if you can find them.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill