Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk calls: order of importance

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Freebird134 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'd love to see what Paul and others list as the order of importance in your elk calling repertoire. What should a guy learn 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th..etc ?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Buckriser » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

+ 1
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Re: Elk calls: order of importance

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 3]

While we're waiting for the man to chime in, here's my .02. 1. Locater bugle (used to obviously locate elk for an immediate or morning hunt if the response is received after sunset). 2. Various cow talk (herd talk, cow/calf and pleading/separated cow sounds).. critical for working your way into, or, drawing a bull to you. 3. Scream/challenge... (used to light a bull up when you're with 70 yards or closer).. you're in his bedroom, and, way too close to his cows.. this will usually make him show himself. 4. Call without using a call :) stomp, thrash brush, and rake trees.... works like a charm when again, you get reasonably close and 5. popping/nervous grunt to make old nasty show himself.. used it a few times this past year with good (but no lethal) results.. If anybody would have been with me on either of the two bulls I pulled this sound on, they would have had shots.. one was an average 5 point with 3 cows and the other was a honker MT 6 point.. I was just a bit too far way and pinned down by cows. I'm pretty good with most of my elk sounds including bugles with grunts and bugles with chuckles but the afore mentioned 5 have gotten the best results for me. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dotman » 06 21, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I do believe Paul has the top five calls listed in order of importance for a beginner listed here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

What Rory, mentions is pretty much the same line of thought I had posted on the Tips Forum. I didn't do them in any specific order but if I were too it would be as Rory mentions! Learn that estrus buzz & nervous grunt! They are are real seal the deal sounds!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I will elaborate a bit more on sounds & calls used! First off the reason I did not name a specific order was because you never know the type of encounter you may be faced with? So all 5 basic sounds are as important as each other!

We all love hearing ourselves bugle! (grin) So start with the Location bugle & nail it! Then move on to the Challenge & Lip Bawl Bugles, these two are a bit different! Both are done exceptionally well with the tighter stretched latex reeds or even double reeds if you prefer! I like the Raging Bull & Challenge for these sounds! For the variety of cow/calf sounds I like the Closer Reed best, it has a soft latex which allows for those soft mews & whines. It can also be used for excited mews/whines & the Estrus Buzz sounds along with voice buzzing/inflection. The nervous Grunt can be made by any reed but I generally use the Closer Reed for this!

As far as natural sounds as Rory mentions we use them in nearly all encounters where calling is used! We want to represent the species as close as possible, natural ground noise is essential!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

There are three calls that I NEED to be able to use to consistently kill elk.
1)Locator Bugle (If i spot them first or hear them this may not be needed)
2)Estrus whine (Let the bull know he has a hot cow on the outskirts of his heard)
3) Challenge Bugle/Scream (To create the threat)

I also have all the other calls in my repertoire (nervous grunt, estrus buzz, mew, calf, pleading, etc...), but I am a boring caller and always resort back to what has worked in the past and I almost always use the same setup.
PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Jason, yes, those are powerful sounds hunters should always do there best to master! Adding the Nervous Grunt to their arsenal is equally as important & I urge all to learn that sound with their voice & a mouth reed! Countless elk have fallen to this sound when used at the right time! Too, the reason for the Estrus Buzz as a sound to master as well is it can be used as a Location sound, this sound alone can get bulls to bugle when nothing else is working, it's good to be creative at times when hunters are on a 5-7 day hunt & they are looking for any edge they can get! Neither of these sounds are tough to master but are worth a hunters consideration!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby aron » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Just came across this and looks like some great info being a rookie this coming season. Thanks for all the help and useful information from you veterans out there.
aron

First Name: Aron