Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best type of late season boots?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best type of late season boots?

Postby pd » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Please give me some advice. I am in the market for a new pair of boots. My hunting area/strategy is different this year. I will be hunting in Washington's modern rifle, westside (that means wet-side) hunt, deep in the high mountains. Guaranteed rainfall every day. Lots of up and down. No access to the truck, unless I hike out. 3 to 4 nights in the backcountry.

I will wear waterproof pants, with gaitors as necessary. I prefer high ankled boots (8" or 10"). I am not really comfortable with synthetic boots (old school, leather boots is what I usually use), but I am willing to learn some new tricks. I will have to cross some mountain passes, with a permanent snow pack (I am a alpine climber first, so I have no issues with the snow/ice, as long as the boots are firm with a strong sole).

For those who don't know, the westside modern rifle elk hunt is a 10- or 11-day period, in early November, bulls only, usually 3-point or better. The basic thinking is that this is post-rut, with the bulls in retreat (hiding in the deep forest, or escaped across the borders into the National Parks). Bow hunters get the first crack, in early September. Muzzleloaders are next, in early October. The seasons are not ideal, but with the population base here, there really isn't much alternative.

I wonder how many of you will tell me to ditch the rifle, and take up the bow? I am trying this new strategy to bag a Roosevelt elk.

My questions to you:
    What TYPE of boot do you use? (Not really asking about the brand, although that would be OK. High top, low top, synthetic, leather???)
    Do you buy an insulated boot, or non insulated? My area is primarily a higher elevation rainforest, not a snow zone, so the ambient temperatures would not normally fall below 30F.

Thanks for any advice.
pd

First Name: p
Last Name: d

Re: Best type of late season boots?

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

With your detailed explanation of the time of year I'd go with a rifle in a heartbeat too! I prefer 10"-11" tops with 400-600 gram insulated boots. I use these Summer & Fall with great comfort, never have had any waterproof issues with them either & have crossed many streams & creeks as well as hunt in 4"-8" wet, wet snows with no problems. Although there are some great boots available but not so many with higher tops as you are considering. I'm using the Crispi Hunter GTX boots, not cheap but should last for many years.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby wideangle » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I prefer pack boots for late season hunting in the NW.
These boots have proven to be bomb proof under all conditions.

http://www.schnees.com/category/schnees-hunting-boots
Attachments
Schnee.png
Schnee.png (49.52 KiB) Viewed 7124 times
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby pd » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks, Paul & WideAngle

Paul, it is interesting that you were insulated boots even in the early season. I won't be so afraid of insulated boots now! I will look at the Crispi boots (yikes--they are pricey, aren't they??).

WideAngle, I know about pac boots from years of LL Bean catalogs, but have never thought about buying them for mountain hunting. I know the east coast hunters use them, but I wonder about climbing up over rocks. Is there enough strength in the shank? (There is nothing worse than flimsy boots on a rocky mountain ridge...)

Thanks again
pd

Postby ferris bugler » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I second the Schnees. I have had more pairs of them than any other type of footwear. Love the uninsulated ones for archery in the rain and the insulated ones for rifle hunting in the snow.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Indian Summer » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Schnees and similar boots are nice but I've hunted the wet side. Its WET! I wouldn't use anything leather over there. I tried and it just stayed slimy at best. Never dried. I'd go with a LaCrosse or similar either rubber or neoprene all the way to the top. I actually broke down and drove over to Cabela's in Olympia to get a pair mid hunt. Might even consider leg gaiters. Like Alaska you can almost use hip waders over there! I hated it. Give me the arid Rocky Mountains any day.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby pd » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Indian Summer wrote:.... but I've hunted the wet side. Its WET! .... I hated it. Give me the arid Rocky Mountains any day.

Joe, you are an honest man, and I appreciate that. But I am trying to get a Roosevelt elk before I loose ALL of my hair. Don't discourage me with facts!

Thanks again.
pd

Postby LckyTylr » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I have had a pair of 10" 400 gram Thinsulate with GTX for 5 years of hunting and daily work abuse (construction). If you want to talk about the ultimate test, I'm on my feet all day long every day, in the mud, scuffing on concrete and reinforcing bar, dragging my toes around . . . I'm not nice to boots. They finally separated from their soles this year (AFTER 5 YEARS). Talk about comfortable, I took them on my honeymoon to Italy 3 years ago because I knew my Wife was going to drag me all over the place on tourist death march's, glad I had them, I couldn't have cared less as we explored the Roman Ruins or stood in line for 3.5 hours in front of the Vatican in the pouring rain. As I said, I have worn them nearly every day since I bought them for work and hunting, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. They are Miendl Perfekt Hunters ($269 I think at Cabelas). My feet don't get wet after multiple rainy days of hunting, or stepping in creeks or puddles on the job site. They go up, they go down, they go all around. Treads just finally started wearing down last year before the season opened, but none have broken off and I still had plenty of traction for my month long archery elk and 2 week long rifle mulie hunts.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby pd » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 9]

LckyTylr wrote:I have had a pair of 10" 400 gram Thinsulate with GTX for 5 years...They finally separated from their soles this year (AFTER 5 YEARS).

Wow! Now that is quite a product recommendation. I will look at those, too. Thank you.
pd

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I prefer an 8" boot, just enough to give me ankle support but not too high.

I like custom orthopedics, so ditch the stock ones, you will be glad that you did.

If there is some serious moisture, without question a boot with a GORE-TEX membrane, nothing else will compare.

I do not hike or climb in insulated boots for out west, only for treestand hunting. This is due to the sweat build up, which leads to friction, then heat and then blisters. So, only non-insulated for me.

In the type of area that you mentioned, I'd prefer a mountaineering boot, not a hiking boot. There is a HUGE difference and your feet and calves will find out the difference on your ascent.

Recommend a brand, is tough as are feet are different from one another. I would suggest that when you start trying boots on, do so at the end of a long day, after you have been standing, hiking or running all day and with the socks that you will be hunting in. This takes into consideration that your feet will swell during your hunt and how the boot will feel during this time.

If you have a pack with some weight in it, take that along to. Most good footwear stores have a simulated rock or something that you can climb on with your pack on your back and jump, climb around the rock to see how the feel, flex and grip.

I also like to make sure that I have as near to 100 miles on my mountaineering boots prior to the extended hike. The boots that I have probably took nearly 200 miles to break in to where they felt awesome and still do today!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Lefty » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I lived on the wet side of WA for 5 years,..
I never found boots I liked. I camped a lot with the socuts. I felt like I was always wet , Too much rubber held the moisture in.
I owned a number of Danner hunting boots (outlet in Portland) , I started carring lots of extra socks and swapping out when wet.... Then I started hunting the east side

I still perfer leather tops
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Lefty - I agree with you on the leather uppers!

And like you, I swap out sock at lease once every day, usually at the mid-day break. I prep my feet with tape and always wear a liner sock with a wool sock on top of that.

For my feet, I prefer a European boot, as they fit my narrow heel better.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby pd » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Great comments, all. Keep them coming--this is very helpful.
pd

Postby Indian Summer » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 14]

pd wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:.... but I've hunted the wet side. Its WET! .... I hated it. Give me the arid Rocky Mountains any day.

Joe, you are an honest man, and I appreciate that. But I am trying to get a Roosevelt elk before I loose ALL of my hair. Don't discourage me with facts!

Thanks again.

I hear you there! I want a Rosey myself but life is short and time is limited. I don't know if I can talk myself into sacrificing time in the Rockies to head over and spend 2 weeks getting rained on 75% of the time!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro