Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Release's ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Release's ?

Postby Breeze » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well I've decided to hang up the recurve and bought a compound bow. Although I'm feeling quite guilty (and sad) about it, the choice seems to be for the best thanks to my rotator-cuff. I have been shooting 'fingers' but will try releases because I have trouble rotating-the-cuff to anchor my fingers to my face....

There are so many releases! I hunt hard and am hard on equipment and always seem to be out in extreme weather, but I don't think I need the most expensive top-of-the-line (or do I?)

What are some basic, functional models for hunting? AND... do I have to have the 'string loop'?
Thanks for the suggestions!
Breeze
Breeze

Re: Release's ?

Postby bnsafe » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

i bought a tru fire assasin i believe, it was 64 dollars and is a nice release. you can find one in the 60-80 range pretty easy. personally i do not like the velcro ones. make sure it has a buckle. the cheaper ones are like bad triggers on a rifle, they are not gonna help ya. but if you stay with the scott, tru fire, tru ball etc in the pay range you hsould be ok
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

i shoot a truball tornado. how did i pick it? my bow tech shot one and simply grabbed me one just like his.

now, that is all i like and shoot. i bought a spare, just in case. they have since been discontinued. so chose wisely...it will be the one you stick with. hard to change later, for me.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ST52V » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have used my scott for many years. If you have never used a release go to a good shop and get some help. There are lots to chose from. The most important thing you should know is do not think of it as a trigger like a gun. If you fire it like a gun you will probably have target panic down the road. I have used mine this way for 20 years and wish I had learned the correct way to fire it in the begining. The idea is to wrap your finger around the triger and squeeze your shoulder blades together to fire it while focusing on the spot you want to hit. I would suggest that you check out John Dudleys web sight and read some of his articals on back tension. I would also spend a few weeks up close to a blind bale practicing this until it is automatic. Carter makes some good releases like the sqeeze me. See if a local shop has that one and try it out. Don't let the price dictate what you buy. Buy the one that will help you shoot correctly the most comfortably. Robin
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

What ever you do, stay away from the WallyWorld junk stuff. Putting a GOOD release on your string is like putting a Timmney trigger on your rifle.

I always suggest a strap on kind for hunting. Velcro or buckle doesn't matter to me. And if it's not strapped to your wrist, it should be strapped to your bow riser. That way you will never loose it and you'll always know where it will be. Carter and Scott are my two favorite brands.

Just some suggestions! In the end, the choice is yours.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Breeze

With my ongoing hand injury, I have been shooting my recurve with my release... GASP!... I know...
But as Lou can attest to, I wasnt struck down by lighting from above by using a D loop and release on my old Bear KMag. :)

The release helps keep your elbow lower which may help your pain level.

If you like, and can shoot your recurve and you are willing to try a release, it may be worth a shot

I use a TruFire release

Good luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby cnelk » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The D loop is not necessary. And it will add a bit to your draw length.
You can use rubber bumpers under your nock so your release wont pinch the arrow.
You will need a brass nocking ring if you use bumpers.
I used to use the bumpers... they work ok.
Just have a couple more slid down to the bottom of your string because they wear out and break.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ctdad » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

D-loops aren't required. They do cut down on the torque you might apply to the string through your release. You will also get less wear on your center serving that the release will cause. I'm a fan of them and recommend them. They will add to your draw length but can also be used to tweak draw length if you are trying to get to a 1/4 inch interval.

The first decision with a release is whether to shoot a wrist strap finger trigger or use a hand hand thumb trigger (which can also be attached to your wrist with a lanyard). I've shot a finger release for a long time, but I'm in the process of experimenting with a thumb release now. I hope I can cut down on trigger punching with it.

The second variable that I've heard debated with releases is how much pressure you should have on the trigger before it goes off. Some argue it should be feather light and others want a little pressure on it before it goes off. I agree with heavier pressure before it goes off. That doesn't mean the trigger travels or moves before releasing, just that you can touch it without setting it off. Light triggers lead to punching for me.

I've been very happy with Scott releases. I've owned 3 and they were all quality releases. I've also owned two tru-ball releases that had very light triggers that were not adjustable (but they were both low end). I've shot a Carter thumb release and liked it but I don't own one.
ctdad

Postby Breeze » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

You know..... I should go to a pro shop and try some of them out. Duh.
I did in fact tried my buddy's release with my recurve one day in camp a couple years ago and it was interesting, but of course I didn't pay it any heed..
Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Breeze
Breeze

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yes, when you do check them out just get a Scott Little Goose Release with a buckle, not the little bitty goose, I've owned a handful of them & they are as easy as it gets to use & get comfortable with. (grin) Lee you'll love the Scott lineup of releases!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mtnmutt » 04 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Try as many as you can before you buy one. Scott has some new models this year.

By far, the Scott Rhino XT Release w/ NCS Buckle Strap release has the most adjustments I have seen for a wrist style release. Because the trigger is so far forward than the other releases, you may not see a difference between finger and release draw length.

Lancaster Archery has them for $99. I tried different releases at Bass Pro, but I needed nylon connector due to small palm and stubby fingers. Never saw the NCS at a pro shop or places like Bass Pro.

Comes with 3 different springs: light, medium, heavy for Trigger-Sensitivity Adjustment. I use the heavy spring to reduce punching the trigger. You may trim the springs for more adjustment on Trigger-Sensitivity.

It also has an adjustment for trigger travel. Scott also includes a Swept-Back Curved Trigger if you don't like the knurled trigger.

It has the hook design which I find to be faster to attach to string than the jaw models (single or double caliper).

Scott also has the buckles in small, standard and large. I needed the small, so I ordered 2 small buckles from a pro shop. It comes with the standard size.

My only issue is the Knurled Trigger getting lose and falling to the ground. I have since made the effort to tighten it down frequently. I will buy spare knurled triggers before elk season.
mtnmutt

Postby Indian Summer » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Winns Free Flight is far and away my #1 pick. I've used it for 25 years and the same one I might add. Everyone I recommend it to loves it. Especially the one with shoulder and rotator cuff problems. You can add poundage to your draw with them as well.

They are completely different than any other release and you should give it a try.

Maybe Welka will chime in. He has problems too and picked on up and seems very happy with it.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bowpackerrob » 04 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I am a fan of the thumb releases. Being on the shorter end of draw lengths, 28", I shoot a Spot Hogg Friday Night Delight as well as a Saturday Night Special as they give me a little more draw length. Built like a tank plus a wrist strap comes with them which lets you tuck the release back under your glove or sleeve. Personally, I feel like I am more accurate with the thumb releases. You might also look at the Whipper Snapper by Spot Hogg
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Buckeye » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Scott little goose here as well. I also prefer the buckle to velcro, less noise. reason I chose the Scott was I like the single jaw design and adjustability.
Buckeye

First Name: Adam
Last Name: Bucher

Release's ?

Postby ceng » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Little bitty goose with a buckle works great for me.
ceng

First Name: Jake
Last Name: Cole

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Buckeye wrote:Scott little goose here as well. I also prefer the buckle to velcro, less noise. reason I chose the Scott was I like the single jaw design and adjustability.

I get a kick out of your post. How do you come up with the (less noise)? Once it is on, there is no noise at all. Mine goes on when I start my hunt and doesn't come off until the hunt is over for the day. Buckle or velcro doesn't matter to me but I have never bought the noise idea. But I do agree with you on the single jaw design. Easy to hook up and rock solid.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Buckeye » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 17]

WW, I try to stay away anything Velcro with hunting products do to that noise factor.
Buckeye

First Name: Adam
Last Name: Bucher

Postby ctdad » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I don't like Velcro because i don't feel i can strap it on the exact same every time which affects draw length and anchor
ctdad

Postby bowhunterty » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 19]

And Velcro can be noisy. I have both a buckle and Velcro on my tru-ball short and sweets. They don.t clip to the d loop but rather hook into it. Used them for two years and have had great success. Also look at Fletcher releases.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Breeze - There are several points to address with your request.

First, with the release the potential is there to become more accurate. To increase this accuracy, add the string loop!

Next, there are a lot of GREAT releases out there. For me, I really like my Hamskea Drop Tine and Scott Widlcat.

You need to find out which release style is for you... Do you want a handheld release? Do you want a strap release? Back tension? Thumb Release? It can go on and on.

I recommend that you take your bow to local archery shops and shoot all of the releases that you think that you may like. You will know which style and trigger styles feel best to you. You and you alone build your confidence, accuracy and consistency up with your equipment.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby Indian Summer » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I'm with WindedBowHunter.... that could have been the only answer needed here: Go the the shop that would love to sell you one and start trying them out. It's the only way unless you have money to light on fire.

Don't forget to try that Winns.
Indian Summer

Postby Willie makit » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I'm slow to upgrade myself, just last December my 15+ year old bow got upgraded to a "new" 2009 Alpha max, yes I'm frugal. My old trufire had gotten a bur or catch in it and was getting finiky about closing, not to mention the Velcro was fluffed out like my wife’s hair in the morning. So I went with the tru fire hardcore max.

I had borrowed a buddy’s Scott release and liked it but it cost me a buck last year. It was the kind that had a strap to the head and flopped around finding everything in the world to "clink" on, it did tuck back under the strap clamp on the wrist band nicely though. The Buck in question came in fast and I had to keep looking down to "catch" the dangling jaw and then clamp it to the string, by then the buck was out of range. :(

The hook style is faster to hook up and in no time you will not have to look down to string up, but, as with anything there is a tradeoff. If you are stuck frozen looking/waiting on the opportunity to draw and slack off the hook can and will come off the string easily. Likewise on a sloppy let down of your bow, it did this a couple times before I got in the habit of keeping my thumb on the hook after stringing up until I draw back. It is a non-issue for me now but just wanted to toss that out there for you. The fold back feature is a no brainer if you will be wearing your release like jewelry during the hunting season.

I ground hunt whitetail a lot and the palm grip type like the Winn Free flight is super comfortable but easing around the woods in warmer weather made my hand sweat. You can slide it off your thumb and rotate it to the top of your wrist though if is like the old bear I have, it looks identical to it.
My first release was a "T" handle one and it was fine except it is like another separate "Piece" to keep up with, make sure it has a lanyard if you go this route. I used it till it broke in 2 pieces, lol that was a while ago, no questioning they have improved since then. Do try before you buy and try to envision your hunting style and where your release will be during that 99.9999% time your not shooting an elk.

Out of all my ramblings here is my words of wisdom, a release IS one more piece of equipment and your new #1 rule: YOUR NEW REALEASE IS ON YOUR WRIST OR IT IS ATTACHED TO YOUR BOW..........

Several years ago I found a large stump with 3 deer trails intersecting near it, perfect natural blind, hollowed out, natural cushy seat inside, perfect height, freaking awesome! Next morning I hike in early scratch out my nest, nock an arrow, hang my bow on that perfect natural bow holder, put on my release,,,,,,,,,
My release......
OH snap.........
Hike back to camp get my %*@#$ release, get back to my stump just as its getting really good daylight, less 50 yards from my stump and what do I see, yep,
8 pt Buck walking 10 yards, broadside, upwind, in front of my awesome stump, my comfy seat, my loaded bow, all I could do was laugh, or cry, I forget which.

That’s my story and I'm going back to lurking. (And hoping my wife don’t read this)
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby ctdad » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Indian Summer took me back with the Winn Free Flight recommendation. That was my first release when I started shooting my dad's unused bow I found in the closet. I fell in love with archery in my back yard using that release on a 1980's vintage pearson bow. I still have it.

The one thing I ended up disliking about that release is that it is always in your palm and with a wrist strap release, I can turn the release around on my wrist when I need to use my right hand for something. Other than that, the release is awesome and it did increase the poundage I was capable of drawing.
ctdad

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 24]

My personal Golden Rule for releases is, "If it isn't strapped to your wrist, it should be strapped to your bows riser"! No if's and's or but's about it. Even if you just drop your rompers when nature calls, if you take that thing off your wrist, strap it to your bow. Nothing worse than pulling up you britches, walking a half mile, and realizing you left your release back there with a pile of crap!
>>>---WW---->

Postby horseshoe » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Borrowing from another thread...I found another "BOX" that's been laying around the basement for years now. In it was an old Fletchhunter concho release that had been cast aside by my brother. I had never given it much thought until this winter when I was practicing for some indoor shooting.
I had been a little inconsistent with my truball and truefire releases and did not want to go back to the old back tension ( target panic) release.

Well, i picked it up and WOW, what an improvement! Can't say if it was really the release or something just between my ears, but i am sticking with it for now. I do have a slight problem tho. It is a hand held release and I, like WW, like to strap in to the bow when not in use. It is available in the strap version but then i gotta sneak it by the wife!
horseshoe

Postby scrubs » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 26]

>>>---WW----> wrote:My personal Golden Rule for releases is, "If it isn't strapped to your wrist, it should be strapped to your bows riser"! No if's and's or but's about it. Even if you just drop your rompers when nature calls, if you take that thing off your wrist, strap it to your bow. Nothing worse than pulling up you britches, walking a half mile, and realizing you left your release back there with a pile of crap!

Words of wisdom right there.....
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby buglmin » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Releases like Scott's Lil Goose is a great release because it can be adjusted to perfection with the strap to insure of the great length. Plus, because of the strap, it cant be twisted when hooked to the string, which reduces torque on the bowstring.
I started using Truballs Short and Sweet because of the small release head and the simple hook factor, but have since started using Caters Like Mike release, which is one of the best releases on todays market. The trigger has no creep or play, breaks very crisp, has the strap adjustment for lengh, and with the hook, has fast hook up time.
All releases can and should be shot as a back tension release. Using the back muscles to trigger the releae helps everyone concertrate on the pin. And keeping an extra release in your pack in case of bad circumstances or advents...
buglmin

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 28]

I have to tell you a little story about releases. We had driven 900 miles for a hog hunt in Texas. One of the guys was new to bowhunting and had a good name brand release. But it was the type that you held in your hand or clip on the string. Well, when we took off that morning he just clipped it on his string like some guys might do while waiting in a tree stand. Needless to say, we hadn't gone 200 yards through the brush when he happened to look down and notice his release had fallen off. We retraced our steps trying to find it but never did. He was real lucky that one of the guys had brought along a spare wrist strap release that he could borrow. The guy swore that when he got home he would buy one with a wrist strap.
>>>---WW---->

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 29]

>>>---WW----> wrote:My personal Golden Rule for releases is, "If it isn't strapped to your wrist, it should be strapped to your bows riser"! No if's and's or but's about it. Even if you just drop your rompers when nature calls, if you take that thing off your wrist, strap it to your bow. Nothing worse than pulling up you britches, walking a half mile, and realizing you left your release back there with a pile of crap!

I know of a few CO customers who shoot Carter thumb releases...

They claim that they threat some paracord type cord through the release lock and dangle it from their neck. This allows them to not have to remove the loop from around their neck, even during the draw of their bow, keep it in their shirt pocket from bouncing around. They came up with this idea as they were loosing them while stalking speed goats, by setting them down and then have to take off for a stalk...well you know the rest of this story!

In theory this sounds like it would work. Personally, I am not a fan of this although I prefer to have my release buckle strapped to my wrist.

**If you're ever hunting eastern CO for speedgoats, you just might find a few Carter Chocolate Lite, Chocolate Addictions on the ground.
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 30]

ctdad wrote:The one thing I ended up disliking about that release is that it is always in your palm and with a wrist strap release, I can turn the release around on my wrist when I need to use my right hand for something. Other than that, the release is awesome and it did increase the poundage I was capable of drawing.

I hear you but... if it's all about the hunting then the only thing your trigger hand should be doing is holding a release one way or another. Heck yeah there are times when I have to take it off for one reason or another. But... as WW mentioned... the best place is in your hand. I think it's the least likely release for a hunter to lose because of the glove system.

I know it's hard for anyone who hasn't tried one to imagine how a release could actually give you the ability to add a good 5 lbs or more to your draw weight right off the bat but if you've tried one you get it. When I buy a 65 lb bow I just max it out to 73 lbs because I know the Winns will make it easy to pull. That's what makes it a great choice for people with shoulder problems. They can leave their weight where it was and still pull it without the discomfort. I'm sure you agree CTDad it's a one of a kind design.
Indian Summer

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 31]

ctdad wrote:Indian Summer took me back with the Winn Free Flight recommendation. That was my first release when I started shooting my dad's unused bow I found in the closet. I fell in love with archery in my back yard using that release on a 1980's vintage pearson bow. I still have it.

The one thing I ended up disliking about that release is that it is always in your palm and with a wrist strap release, I can turn the release around on my wrist when I need to use my right hand for something. Other than that, the release is awesome and it did increase the poundage I was capable of drawing.

I went with the trufire hardcore for this very reason. It is able to fold back and free your hand up.
I also liked the trigger a little more than the little goose as well.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 32]

I don't care if the release has a buckle or Velcro. Mine stays on all the time I am hunting and sometimes longer. What I want is a double jawed release with narrow jaws that clip into my D loop. The double jaws are easier to tune for, as they don't kick the string to the side upon release like a single side opening one does. The narrow face release clips into the D portion easier and quicker than a broad faced release does. This is especially important if you use a short D loop. It hardly matters if you have a large D loop, and it make no difference at all if you attach directly to the string. That said I prefer a Scott.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Actually sir, releases that have just one working jaw, like the Scot Lil Goose, release the string cleaner then a double jaw release, and cant torque the string as easy as a double jaw release.
Like you stated, my release usually goes on at the house and is never taken off until I get back home...but last year, I took it off in my buddies truck and my release got a trip to Oklahoma...and the worst thing, when I called him to tell him, he found it and started playing and using my Lil Goose...never got that release back!
I was told several years ago, after a good friend seen me using my Carter back tension release on an AZ elk hunt, that he wants a release a release that if need be could be used quick if nessessary, meaning if he wanted the shot to go off now, he didnt want to wait for the back Tension...seen then, my Carters and Stans stay on the 3D range, not in the hunting field. I learned quickly that if you need to shoot and shoot now, its easier and faster to squeese to squeese the trigger then to use wait for the shot with a back tension release...
buglmin

Postby pointysticks » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 34]

buglmin wrote:Actually sir, releases that have just one working jaw, like the Scot Lil Goose, release the string cleaner then a double jaw release, and cant torque the string as easy as a double jaw release.

^^first time i heard this. my tornado fits Swede's requirements to a T. double release, very narrow at the tip. i like mine, but to be honest i havent tried many others. if i switched, i would do a hook style like the spot hogg. seems neat and tidy.

i have both of my tornado triggers the same. i used my old trigger to "pull" the new trigger and adjusted them until they both opened at the same time. i can switch between them and not affect my POI that much. the straps are kinda different, so i think my anchor point changes a tad.

velcro versus buckle? i have velcro, but buckles are much more consistent. you put the pokey thing in the same hole every time and you get a perfectly repeatable fitting. velcro, not a guarantee. and my velcro hooks the velcro on my sitka jackets all the time. annoying. i wish i had belts. next time i switch bows, i am gonna consider a release change.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 35]

I've seen string loops actually hang up in double jaw releases...its no fun to have to push the string off the release. We had a guy do this at a shoot in Red River last year. Do some research and you'll find out why Scot archery developed the Goose and Lil Goose releases...with releases like the Like Mike, Short and Sweet, the release heads are small and compact.
Velcro on a release strap dont bother me, I trim it down and have no problems with it. But I do like the older style buckle straps that I have from Scot Archery...I can use both with no problems. But releases are like women...many shapes and styles, and everyone has their own preference...And I do set mine as lite as I can. Almost a hair trigger. My ex wife shot with a very lite trigger, and would barely squeeze her shoulders before it went off....
buglmin

Postby Breeze » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Well..... After all the advice...I tried a few releases and bought a Scott Little Goose. After shooting it I began to think it's going to be bothersome in my hand when I'm clambering around on steep hillsides and etc, so I bought a Scott Wolverine too, thinking I can tuck it into my sleeve when I'm hiking and keeping my hands free. I strongly considered the Winns because of the grip and 'feeling' that you can draw a heavier poundage... and also not increase draw length (as per use of a D-Loop).... But I went with the D-loop.

Having a great time tinkering around with the buzzers and bells of modern archery. (not that there was any less to mess with in traditional archery)

So far my shooting has been much improved. My rotator cuff is just as bad if not worse when using the release, so I can still have that excuse. LOL

I appreciate the responses and honest input from the people of this site. Thanks!
Breeze

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 10, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Lee, keep practicing with the Little Goose it will grow on you, it's a great little release!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WindedBowhunter » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 38]

breeze - As Paul stated keep shooting them!

If your still not set on a single release, I would suggest that switch back and forth weekly if you shoot several days a week. Just enough for you to get comfortable with the release then switch. The deciding factor should be the release that you are more accurate with which builds your confidence in shooting.

The other release, don't sell unless you are not even close to accurate with it. I would use it as a backup release and keep it in my pack!
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor