Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

kifaru...bikini versus the hunting frame and suspension..

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok. weight, i get it. but first glance. i cant tell what you give up choosing the bikini..any help? any pros/cons of each. i searched AT found nothing.

AND kifaru is making a RIFLE!!???? it looks very very cool.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: kifaru...bikini versus the hunting frame and suspension.

Postby dotman » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Checkout rokslide, I don't have mine yet but the advantage of the bikini is the modular aspect it provides and heavy weight hauling without the bulk based on what I see. Just received my shipping conf so will know more next week.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Cliff, I chose the more flexible Bikini frame over the more rigid duplex frame because of more mobility. Both frames will pack 100# plus loads according to the website. I talked with a couple of others including Aron & it was decided the Bikini frame was best for our style of hunting. I'm an all day hunter primarily but wanted the option to hunt off my back for 3-4 days as well. This is why I chose the T3 pack, grab-it seat & lash kit. I think it's going to be perfect for our wants & needs.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've been wondering the exact same thing....
eltaco

Postby pointysticks » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

thanks Elknut!!

i subscribe (in life) to the "no free lunch" theory. you give up weight..you have to give up something.

i wonder if the standard hunting frame is more comfortable.?

i need to call them this week.
pointysticks

Postby eltaco » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I've never tried either frame on but the bikini appears to have less padding on it than the hunting frame. I thought I've read that they are equally comfortable but I am also having a hard time believing it is true. At basically the same price, I want to make sure that I make the right selection should I decide to drop this much coin on a new frame.
eltaco

Postby 6t4nova » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I had the duplex and timberline bag and sold it to get the new bikini duplex and highcamp bag.

Got my bikini duplex last week and have put some miles on it since. I also tried Aron's on before ordering and talked with him a bit about them. Here's my thoughts on it:

- Its a lot more comfortable than the duplex frame. Why? The bikini allows for about 1/4" of side to side movement via the pads on the frame. This allows the pack to move with you instead of staying rigid the whole time. The duplex is a great frame, but it is extremely stiff. I feel that the bikini carries lighter loads better and heavier loads I couldn't tell a difference between the bikini and the duplex.

- Its a lot lighter

- It will haul the same amount of weight as the duplex and the integrity of the pack itself isn't comprimised.

The bikini duplex is essentially the duplex frame without a frame sheet.

Hope that helps
6t4nova

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

6t4nova, thanks for the real life comparison. That's pretty much how Aron had explained it to me as well, I look forward to receiving it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

great info nova!!
pointysticks

Postby eltaco » 05 23, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Well, I finally gone and done it! Ordered up a Bikini T1 earlier this week. I really struggled between going with it or a T2 and longhunter lid. Hopefully I made the right choice! Can't wait to get this thing!
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Been playing with mine some, it appears & feels to be pretty nice. I'll be adding more weight for the real test for me! Good luck with yours Jeremy!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

eltaco wrote:Well, I finally gone and done it! Ordered up a Bikini T1 earlier this week. I really struggled between going with it or a T2 and longhunter lid. Hopefully I made the right choice! Can't wait to get this thing!

Jeremy you will love it. I can't say enough good about mine. I can't believe Kifaru improved on the T1 as much as they did. The pack carries 80 lbs. like a dream and 50 lbs. feel like 30 lbs. compared to my AK Outfitter pack frame.

Just realize that getting a Kifaru pack setup perfectly for your body makes all the difference in the world. This process took me about two weeks with my first model. I would carry the pack for a 1/4 mile, make an adjustment and then carry it for another 1/4 mile. Now they are very easy to setup the same right out of the box. If you need any help or advice just let me know.

This is an important video to watch when setting up your pack. I prefer my pack about 1-1.5" higher than Patrick but the hip belt is still doing its job and is covering my hip bones.

http://youtu.be/GJQXDvtWbh8

-Conlan
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I finally got my pack dialed in and trimmed up. This is my Bikini T1 with a small hip belt, 26" flat back carbon stays, standard lid and everything Multicam. I trimmed only the snow collar, sleeping bag divider and the extra common loops in the bag. I also cut the four frame mounted hip belt stabilizer buckles off since they are used for when no bag is attached.

Pretty amazing total weight in my opinion at 5 lbs. 4 ounces. That's only 6 ounces more than the same frame setup with the Highcamp 7k bag and standard lid. The amazing part is that it's the exact same weight as my T1 with the same trim job!

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/a6e7ynut.jpg[/img]
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby eltaco » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Conlan,

How much weight did it lose by modifying the bag?

I'm not extremely clear, how have you changed the capacity and features of the pack by removing these things?
eltaco

Postby slim9300 » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 15]

eltaco wrote:Conlan,

How much weight did it lose by modifying the bag?

I'm not extremely clear, how have you changed the capacity and features of the pack by removing these things?

Before it was trimmed...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370358233.889792.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370358233.889792.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 8923 times

It will be really easy to see when you get your pack. The snow collar probably holds about 800 cu inches but I never use it. The same amount of gear can be simply put under the lid and held down.
slim9300