Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you pack a saw?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do you pack a saw?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Do you cats pack a lightweight saw in your daypack or compressed meat hauler pack when on your hunt away from camp? I still carry one to cut the skull plate off and for cutting long poles to hang meat from. What do you folks carry and what is your manufacturer preference?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Do you pack a saw?

Postby Freebird134 » 04 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I just threaten not to take one, then my partner brings one. I don't know what he has, but it works. And it weighs NOTHING (in my pack) :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yes, we carry the WY Saw & have found nothing beats its ease of use & quickness in removing leg bones if needed or rack removal. I hate those slow knuckle buster cutting saws, I've used a plenty before going these, 14" take-down model works best.

http://stores.elknut.com/Detail.bok?no=97

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I use the outdoor edge small hand saw. It weighs next to nothing.......but takes a long time to cut through bone. Not sure I will be bringing it with me this year. Cant imagine cutting the skull bone with one.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Z Barebow » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I leave my saw in the truck. If I kill something, I am coming out with the 1st load of meat and pick it up at that time.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hmm! I tried to post earlier but must have missed the submit button. Anyhow, I'll try again!

I generally always have the Wyoming saw in my pack. Never use it on elk except maybe for removing the scull plate. No need for it on the leg bones. I can remove them quicker with my knife. You just need to know where to make the cut. But the saw sure comes in handy for other chores like cutting campfire wood, building blinds or shelters, and what ever else you can think of.

I've tried lots of other saws in the past. But so far, I've never found one that is better than the Wyoming saw. Did I mention that Elknut sells em?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I carry one of the folding saws in my day pack and a Wyoming Saw that I got from Elknut in my freighter. WW: It is interesting that you mention that you do not saw off the legs on an elk. I have lost count on how many elk I have dissected, but I have never been good at disjointing the hind legs on one. I can fairly easily pop them off on a deer as they are smaller, but elk are still a pain. For years I used a coarse bladed hacksaw, or grunt and strain, but now it is the Wyo. Saw that gets the job done.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BOWNUT » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

For deer hunting I carry a Gerber folder. For Elk I carry a Wyoming. Came in handy for me on first time. Wish I had cleaned the blade better and oiled it when I was done. I will know better next time.
BOWNUT

First Name: john
Last Name: kehrer

Postby one_elk » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I always have my Wyoming saw along with me, has lots of different uses….
one_elk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGCAY5Amvn4

Here ya go Swede! Hope this video works. This is real similar to how I do an elk. Once you find the joint it is quicker than using a saw to get the legs off this way with nothing but a knife.
>>>---WW---->

Postby dotman » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Phantom16 wrote:Do you cats pack a lightweight saw in your daypack or compressed meat hauler pack when on your hunt away from camp? I still carry one to cut the skull plate off and for cutting long poles to hang meat from. What do you folks carry and what is your manufacturer preference?

Naw I don't carry no stinkin saw ;)
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 12]

dotman wrote: Naw I don't carry no stinkin saw ;)

I was sure a complete big game butchering kit was on your checklist : ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 13]

dotman, you would if you ever killed anything!! (big grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WindedBowhunter » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 14]

ElkNut makes a GREAT point!

I used to carry a Wyoming saw, but for the last year I have been carrying the Sawvivor Saw. I not only use this to break down the animal, but also for camp chores for wood cutting. I have been very pleased with the change thus far. But, still need a few more years of use before it takes permanent residence in place of the Wyoming saw. I like to test things for a few years, not a few times!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby dotman » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 15]

ElkNut1 wrote:dotman, you would if you ever killed anything!! (big grin)

ElkNut1

Haha, I can't admit to taking one how else will I get Rory to take his so I can leave mine home. :)
dotman

Postby dotman » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Phantom16 wrote:
dotman wrote: Naw I don't carry no stinkin saw ;)

I was sure a complete big game butchering kit was on your checklist : ;)

Haha!
dotman

Postby Swede » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 17]

WW, Thanks for the video link. I too get the legs off, but I just never have found it easy.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 12, 2013 •  [Post 18]

If one is close to the road, I can see the need to separate the sockets (joints) to prepare "quarters" for packing out.. Have done it once or twice ;) If way, way back.... deboning is the only method IMO and doesn't require separation of any joints... just skillfully separating muscle groups from the wapiti on the ground is the business at hand. Here's a VID by A. Snyder that shows what I'm referring to. It's very similar to the way I debone on the mountain and no joint separation/bone hacking is required... Just sharing :).. RJ

WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 13, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Notice the WY Saw in the video clip! Off to the right on the ground was the saw!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Coincidentally, I just picked up a brand new in package Wyoming I saw for $25 on craigslist. I couldn't turn it down. But it's not really lighter than my wyoming II saw, just shorter.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Lefty » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Z Barebow wrote:I leave my saw in the truck. If I kill something, I am coming out with the 1st load of meat and pick it up at that time.

Same here
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Lefty wrote:
Z Barebow wrote:I leave my saw in the truck. If I kill something, I am coming out with the 1st load of meat and pick it up at that time.

Same here

X3
I use a small hand saw with a fine tooth cut. I have prob cut up 20 elk with it.
Stays in my pack frame.
Its almost a good luck charm :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Indian Summer » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Nope. The only reason I'd consider it is to saw the rear leg which is a pain in the butt every time. I have no other reason to add more steel to my pack. I don't saw skull plates because I beetle clean every bull I kill.

That said I do own a Wyoming Saw and they are THE best tool for the job.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 15, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Interesting video and thanks for posting it. First time seeing someone skin an elk like that, more than one way to skin an elk right? Personally from my experience with deer/elk I like keeping the meat as clean as possible and I believe you do a better job of that leaving the bone in on the whole quarter JMO. But for saw part of this I may need a better saw to pack with, like the wyoming, because I haven't figured out how to take the bone off at the joint yet. Very interesting hearing others point of view on all of this.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Small Gerber hatchet and an Old Timer 152 is all I use. I have no problem with saws, just not my style.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby pointysticks » 04 17, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Haulin'Quarters wrote:Small Gerber hatchet and an Old Timer 152 is all I use. I have no problem with saws, just not my style.

this is me next time!! small Wetterlings axe, and my Mora. all Swedish steel..heheh.
i'm not so sure how we disconnect at the bones joints. my brother and i just do it with knives. i just start poking and slicing and bending..POP!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l