Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Trekking poles?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Trekking poles?

Postby timberghost51 » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Who uses them and what kind do you use? I am thinkin about getting a set. Having 2 knee surgeries already I am thinking they are a good idea
timberghost51

First Name: matt
Last Name: mcmurray

Re: Trekking poles?

Postby Freebird134 » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I like them when they work, but after having one snap in half when I slipped on a steep hillside with a heavy pack on, I'm not going to bother with them again. I was using ultra-lightweight carbon poles. I think Slim had a similar thing happen to him. I'm sure aluminum is stronger, but for me I'm not using them this year.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby mtnmutt » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I started using them last year because of a bad left knee and bad right hip. Downhill is more brutal for me than uphill.

Sometimes they stay attached to my pack and sometimes I only use one while one stays attached to my pack. Using only one allows me to keep my bow in the other hand.

They have made creek crossings more safe for me. I hate using logs to cross a creek, so I extend the poles to reach the creek bottom for stability.

I use the a women's version: Leki Aergon speedlock. The twist ones are lighter weight, but they don't hold as well as the speedlock. You do want to tighten the screws on the speedlock: CO's September cold to warm will cause the screws to loosen.

Last year while backpacking in, I bent one on a fall off a log and was able to bend it back straight.

Last summer, I injured my right arm when I planted one and the pole stayed planted while I wanted to move. However, I have done the same thing while downhill and x-country skiing.

REI Spring sale starts May 17th, so you may find a pair on sale.
mtnmutt

Postby blackwolf » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

With 2 knee relacements, I wouldn't go without them. I have a set of lightweight carbon telescoping and love them!
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby ctdad » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I used them last year when I was packing spike camp in and out. I had hoped to use them also while packing elk, but that chore escaped me. They make a huge difference and I highly recommend them. Never had them out when I was hunting. Mine are some brand of black diamond.
ctdad