Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Asolo fugitive for elk hunting???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Asolo fugitive for elk hunting???

Postby 13bonatter69 » 04 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am awaiting a pair of Asolo fugitives to come in the mail that I ordered a couple days ago. The question I have is about the tread pattern, is it aggressive enough for elk hunting. The tread pattern was the only thing that I wasn't crazy about when I ordered them. Now that I am setting hear awaiting their arrival, I wondering if I should have got something with a little more aggressive of a tread. I love everything else about the fugitive, LOVE the fit and weight of them!! For those of you that are familiar with the fugitives, would you be concerned about the tread not being aggressive enough for bowhunting the mountains of Wyoming and Colorado? Also does anyone know if the treads can be replaced on the Asolo's after they wear down? Thanks Guys
13bonatter69

First Name: Billy
Last Name: Bell

Re: Asolo fugitive for elk hunting???

Postby HighCountryElk » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I picked up a pair of the Fugitive GTX last spring from REI. I used them for preseason conditioning, scouting, (some of which was in the snow) and early season back country elk hunting around 5,500 in WA. I also used them for late season deer in some pretty steep country. I love how light they are and they kept my feet dry all season. The first pair I bought I returned immediately because they were too narrow. When the wider pair came the fit was much better and they required almost no breaking in. After a year of use some of the lug on the bottom of the sole is starting to show signs of wear. You can see where the once sharp corners are starting to round off a bit in places. I never did have any traction problems and I did all of my hunting in uneven terrain with a 40lb pack on. Unfortunately I still don't know if blood washes off of them. Hopefully I can report back on that by mid September!
HighCountryElk

First Name: Skyler
Last Name: Burreson

Re: Asolo fugitive for elk hunting???

Postby BrentLaBere » 04 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILUxt1etnU
I know these aren't the same type of boot you are talking about but I went with the newer version of this.
In the video he describes how he helped the treads that he didn't like. Maybe it is something you could play with after you try yours out?
I haven't done it myself and I am only posting this as an idea if you don't like them. I found it pretty interesting.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere