Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Custom strings and stretching

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Custom strings and stretching

Postby buglmin » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Im trying to set up a bow, Bowtech Guardin, set up with new Vapor Trail Strings...and man do these strings and cables stretch...I'm talking bout a 1/4" stretch in two days of shooting!! Was anyone else experienced this kind of stretch from a set of custom strings? Ive used a lot of custom strings over the years, and have never had a set stretch so much on a bow. Especially when I got the bow and the strings and cables were already installed I shouldnt of gotten this much stretch. Im almost ready to call my supporting dealer and get a set of Winners Choice string and cables coming my way.
Lets talk custom strings and what is expected from strings that are supposed to be made from pre stetched material. Im used to using Winners Choice and Scorpin Strings on all my bows, and dont get hardly any stetch from them...
buglmin

Re: Custom strings and stretching

Postby bnsafe » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

ive put 2 sets of cracker strings on my bow and have never had a mm of stretch. that guy is awesome.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have used Winners Choice for years with never an issue.
Thinking about giving Park n Sons a try.
But I hear you about being frustrated about supposedly good strings that stretch
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby scrubs » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Call VT, and see what they say. I never had an issue with the couple sets of theirs I used in the past.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I've been using ABB (Americas Best Bowstrings) for a while and have had no issues. I believe they are the main supplier for all new PSE bows. I've used Winners Choice in the past but switched when I started shooting PSE bows again. I also had them on my Bowtech Captain a few years ago and they never stretched and peep sight always lined up with my eye.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Parkinsons is a sponcer here. They claim to make a good string. I have shot BuckNasty and Zebra with no stretch or creep problems. I've had servings come loose on the Zebras but a drop of super glue on the ends takes care of that.

Just about all quality strings now days are made of the same material. So long as they are made under a lot of stretch pressure, there should be no problem. I think I'd call VT and ask for another set.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Yes sir, check out Tom's strings here -- http://parknsonsarchery.com/ -- I use them & no stretch, I would highly recommend them! I've had two Vapor Trail strings in the past one was good the other was not! Not worth the gamble for 100.00.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby buglmin » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I dont like twists in my strings...twists weaken a string. And I hate the idea of having to stick a bow in the press and twist the heck out of the string to get my draw length perfect...hate it!!
I know Mike from Winners Choice does something when they stretch strings. But he has never let no one see the process. And Ive never had to twist a string to adjust my draw length with Winners Choice. The Scorpion Strings are on my Dartons, and they are a super small diameter string that are great strings as well. Guess I will contact VT on monday...thanks for the imput guys!
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Anthony! I forgot to tell you I ordered the strings "extra stretchy" :lol:

Sorry you are having trouble with them. The black and white strings on that bow really were virtually brand new. I kept kicking myself for have even put new strings on it and then selling it! I can try to track down a receipt if it helps you when you call V.T. But, even with the 100 shots or less that I put on those strings, they shouldn't be stretching more.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ctdad » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I had similar issues with vapor trail and I'm not going to continue using them.

I've been shooting in my stock strings on my new hoyt, and so far I haven't had any stretch. After turkey season, I'll change out my strings and I plan to try one of the park n sons this year as well.
ctdad

Postby buglmin » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Brandon,
Its no biggie, things are all good. Love the bow man, and it is eating up my Rampage shafts!! I can only shoot 15 yards cause of my strength and high winds, but man does it stack the arrows. Im putting on the old cables and string tonite, and I will just contact Gabe at Red Rock and get some Winner's Choice coming my way...Cant get over how thick the VT strings are, gonna count the strands tonite.
Honestly, cant get over how good the Guardian shoots, and I have the weight pretty low, and its still very very quick. Wonder why they dropped it from their line? It draws very smooth, and feels great at full draw. Havent figured a stbilizer for it next, thats the next.
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I'm really glad you are enjoying the bow. But I'm also really regretting selling it! lol Those Guardians are amazing bows. I hope this Insanity (that still hasn't arrived) will be even close to as great of a bow as the Guardian.
Freebird134

Postby buglmin » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I havent shot the insanity yet, to tell the tuth, dont have much interest in shoot one. Ive handled one, but didnt like how it felt. I dont like bows with such a low brace eight. The Guardian now, is making my Darton take a back seat for a while. Enjoy shoting it, and I enjoy shooting compounds cause it shows me what Im really capable of. But I am missing my recurves...
Dug out my stabilizes today, now just gotta find one tat feels good and gives me what Im looking for, although I dont use one on my Darton, I do think I need one on the Guardian...
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

buglmin wrote:I dont like bows with such a low brace eight.

I should have been more specific. I'm getting the CPXL, which is 7" bh (at tad shorter than the guardian) and 35"ata (a tad longer than the Guardian). I actually thought the CPXL handled a lot like the Guardian, but haven't had the chance to shoot it past 15 yards yet. We will see.....
Freebird134

Postby aron » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I've had vapor trail strings stretch as well. Was told most of it should be gone after the first couple hundred shots but my damn peep still seems to slowly rotate which tells me the strings keep stretching.

Winners Choice for now on
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby cnelk » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Placed my order with Parkinson - I look forward to trying their new cables and string
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Winners Choice is by far the best cables and strings Ive ever used. We order other sets just to see and play, but I always put Winners Choice on my bows when its time to get serious...Mike does something and his strings do not stretch. The strings on my recurves have only 5 twists in the string, And after a year of being strung the brace height is still the same. On my compound, 5 twists in the string and the cables are not twisted. And when you oder a set of 56" strings, they come 56"...it will take a lot for me to use somebody elses strings!!
buglmin