Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

regular coleman tent vs kodiak canvas

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby bnsafe » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ive got a nice coleman 6 person tent but am thinking about upgrading to the kodiak canvas. just not sure its worth the extra money. so should i upgrade or use my coleman.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: regular coleman tent vs kodiak canvas

Postby cnelk » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have seen the Coleman tents get flattened with wet snow.
They dont shed moisture like a wall tent or tipi shaped shelter

But if thats what ya got, use it :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

oh theres no question my coleman would not stand up to wet snow, but will i be out when its snowing, and would the kodiak tent. but i could put a mr heater in the canvas tent and stay fairly warm, but afraid to do that in a nylon tent.
bnsafe

Postby Huntography » 04 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have a couple Coleman tents and am looking to upgrade.

Anyone have any experience with Cabela's 4 season 6 man XPG?

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby bnsafe » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

and why your answering the question. does anybody have one of these tents. i have found a basic version for fairly cheap buy it only has the 2 windows in it vs the 4 with the deluxe. other than that they are pretty much the same tent. is the 2 extra windows worth another 90 bucks. and is the 10x10 big enuf or should i spend even more and get the 10x14. basicallythe diff from the basic 10x10 to the deluxe 10x14 is about 220 bucks with all different price ranges in between. obviously im buying alot of elk gear this year and need to save money but dont want to skimp and have to buy more next year. for the most part the most i would have in my tent is my family of 4 including me. for the record im leaning towards the basic 10x10 or possibly dropping the extra 90 and getting the basic 10x14 as i know its not possible to have enuf room,ever.
bnsafe

Postby bowhunterty » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

If you put a tarp over the top would work great. Have done this with Coleman type tents and Canvas tents. Just make sure the tarp is off the top of the tent. Using trees preferably. I currently have a Jumping Jack trailer that has a canvas tent on it and is water proof. But I still put a tarp over it.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby montanabrown » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

You might want to look at a normal canvas wall tent also. you can find good tents like davis tent out of colorado for around the same price as the kodiak tent. i bought a 12 x 14 which four o us sleep in with all our gear and a cookstove and a woodstove with four cots. i paid eleven hundred total which i know is more than the kodiak but that was with an internal frame, woodstove, a cot, and some different accessories. it can handle the cold and the heat. its had two feet of snow on it and it didnt affect it at all. just another option for you to look at especially if your setting up a base camp
montanabrown

First Name: michael
Last Name: brown-silva