Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Woods Hygiene :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Woods Hygiene :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Basecamp? I got it, wall tents, campers, RVs, showers, hot tubs, etc. It's important to stay clean and as scent free as possible for various reasons. For your time away from civilization (i.e., backcountry hunting), what do you cats take in? Here's my basic load for personal hygiene. Unscented baby wipes (not pictured), scent free deodorant, toothpaste/brush, concentrated scent free all purpose soap (you can take an invigorating spit bath in a mountain stream), and, you can actually wash your extra set of clothes in this stuff to be hang-dried for use in a few days. I also have a Sea to Summit collapsible kitchen sink for washing funky clothes (not pictured but you can find them on many sites). Lastly, I pack in a small container of scent free hand sanitizer. I feel that after throwing elk milk duds at my hunting partner earlier in the day, it's important to sanitize my hands before I cook the evening meal ;) What do you folks take with you for back country adventures in the elk woods? RJ

100_0654 (640x480).jpg
100_0654 (640x480).jpg (522.28 KiB) Viewed 5607 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Elk Woods Hygiene :)

Postby Trophyhill » 04 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

love the "Dead Down Wind" products
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby 6.5City » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Nothing like a cool scent free baby wipe in the morning.
6.5City

First Name: Michael

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Dang it.. meant to start this thread in the equipment area.. Dang it.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I was a freck about scent reduction long before most of this was available.

Watch your sales, close outs, an clearances and you can get it cheap.
All my washed clothes are in sport wash, for UV and and scent free. I bring plenty of extra clothes.
Silver lined socks and undergarments
I use Baby wipes and deoderant, bar soap, body wash at home and at camp
I also back off on spicy foods and meat in September
Im planning on building an ozonics "thing "for my box blind
I have been mosly using Primos Silver , and Hunter Specialties, I have also use hydrogen peroxide
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby woolymammothcaller » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

6.5City wrote:Nothing like a cool scent free baby wipe in the morning.

+1
woolymammothcaller

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Moved it for you RJ. ;)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Don't forget the baking soda. When I spent a month on the Uncompaugre I had two sets of camo. I wore one and had the other set soaking over night in a bucket of water with a cup of baking soda in it. Every morning before the hunt I'd take the ones in the bucket out and hang them up to dry. The next day I'd alternate them. The ones on the line were stiff as a board from all the baking soda in them. But they limbered up as soon as you put them on.

This didn't get all the dirt out of them. But who cares, camo is sort of dirty colored anyhow. But it did remove all the funky smell and also gave your body a good dusting of baking soda.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I too am a zealot when it comes to minimizing my scent. I use unscented Arm and Hammer detergent, with no ultra violet brighteners, for my clothes to start with. I carry Ivory unscented or some H.S. Specialties soap, if someone gives it to me for Christmas. I also buy the large size baby wipe towels for some cleaning. I like to wash my hair every day, and the towels just don't get-er-done, so I always have the soap.
I admit to being a zealot when it comes to being clean. I wash immediately after ever bowel movement and wash my armpits and crotch between full cleanings. I know of a few tree stand hunters who literally stink. I do not know of one them who has ever got an elk. I am sure there may be some coincidence, but it does not seem reasonable that it is all coincidence either.
I have heard people say you can't fool an elk's nose. That may be true, but by minimizing your scent you reduce the amount of scent out there for them to smell. I liken it to the difference between whispering in the forest and shouting. Minimizing scent available for the elk to pick up on, is also why I set my stand higher in a tree than most people do.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

nothing like having to keep the baby wipes in the sleeping bag with you to keep them from freezing.

my buddy gives me these HUGE wet-wipe sheets the military uses for desert showers. in a pinch, they can be a life saver.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Don't forget the baking soda. .

I started with the arm and hammer products way back and Borax
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bowhunterty » 04 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Shower everyday while in a base camp situation. On backpack hunt field wipes work wonders. For women who are picky about shampoo and conditioner, like my girlfriend, check out Just For Does products. I prefer Dead Down Wind and have used them the last couple years with great results.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby ABQ_Chica » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thanks for all the ideas, gang. My elk hunts involve dry camping in the arid southwest. I have to drive/pack water in, so it's too precious to waste much on showers and washing. However, soaking clothes in baking soda is a great idea. Even though I might have to re-use that water each night, that's probably better than just airing clothes out--my usual tactic. I'll give the Dead Down Wind products a shot, too.

Something else I do on top of keeping all my hunting stuff scent-free, is that I also start using scent-free products a couple weeks before season starts. I would imagine that a lot of our daily things have mild scents and perfumes that we humans are totally unaware of. Maybe it's all in my head, but I doubt those all wash out after the first scent-free soaping. I'm also not sure we can completely eliminate our scent, but I guess I hope this little step helps minimize it...
ABQ_Chica