Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Go Pro Hero

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Go Pro Hero

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am thinking of purchasing the new Go Pro action camera to record some of my elk hunt. I would like to film shooting a good bull. I suppose good bulls could be as rare as hen's teeth if I get one, but that is the chance I take. It hardly matters what camera I have if there is no action. Does anyone have any experience with the Hero3 Silver or similar, and what do you think?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Go Pro Hero

Postby cnelk » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Swede,
I will post a vid that my son made with his GoPro Hero.
We are going to do the same thing you are thinking about doing this fall.
You will need to decide what camera holder you will like better, the head strap or chest strap.
We cant mount electronics on our bows in Colorado, but if you can, there are attachments so you can do that too.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Go Pro Hero

Postby Huntography » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Hi Swede!

I use DSLR's but have seen nothing but great quality footage with the GoPro's.

If I were to get one, I'd get the black ad it shoots 120fps I believe. That can be slowed down to get some amazing slow motion footage.

Btw, are you Swedish?

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby cnelk » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Below is a link of short vid of my son on his dirtbike.
The GoPro is on his chest strap.

You will notice the clarity, the wide angle, and how it doesnt shake or bounce when he goes over jumps and does turns.
The battery life is tremendous, you will run out of room on your SD card before the batteries fail [unless you use a large gig card]

Im not sure ow the GoPro does it, but they make some nice vid clips. I think they would work great as you walk into your stand,
Watching elk come in, and just documenting your hunt.
You can also use them as a typical camera too.
And they are 100% waterproof.

Here ya go:

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/cnelk/ ... 5.mp4.html
cnelk

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Crazy kid! I hope your health insurance policy is paid up. LOL The picture looks great. There is some distortion due to the very wide angle of the lens, but I think it would be great to record parts of the hunt.

Huntography: I have never been to Sweden. My dad was a first generation Swede. I got the handle as an insult years ago. Some guys I met thought with a name like Erickson I should be tall and blonde. They gave me the handle. At 5' 6", I just did not measure up to their expectations. At least I am a dish water blonde.
Swede

Postby LckyTylr » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have the Hero 3 Silver. I haven't had it long, but it's super easy to use and I love it. Still waiting on my friend to edit the footage from my last dirtbike ride, but here's one of my Son that my Wife and I made.

NOTE - Not all clips were filmed with a Hero 3, the fuzzy ones were shot with an older GoPro at lower definition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkPy1Veda3E
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Go Pro Hero

Postby Huntography » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Ahh, good backstory right there. Thanks for sharing.

I asked because my wife is Swedish.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

"Easy to use", is very important to me. Thanks for the feed back.
Swede

Go Pro Hero

Postby slim9300 » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thinking about getting one myself.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

These is a flashing red light on the face of the unit when in record mode.
A piece of tape would fix that tho
cnelk

Postby Chukarhunter » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

A friend of mine has one, and filmed a yellowfin tuna fishing trip down in Cabo this past January. He was able to film below water as well as above, and got some great video of tuna fighting the hook as they were brought in. Everything I've heard and seen about the GoPro has been good. I'm not sure about the post above regarding battery life, though. Everything I've heard is that the battery will only last an hour or so (assuming video recording). I will admit I have no first hand knowledge about the battery, so could be wrong.
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby RockChucker30 » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I am thinking about getting either the hero3 silver or black, and can get a deal so the black is only $60 more than the silver. Is the black that much better than the silver? I can't decide if it's worth the money or not.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Go Pro Hero

Postby slim9300 » 04 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

RockChucker30 wrote:I am thinking about getting either the hero3 silver or black, and can get a deal so the black is only $60 more than the silver. Is the black that much better than the silver? I can't decide if it's worth the money or not.

The main difference appears to be the remote and the slow mo capability. I looked at both in person tonight. I think I'm going to get the black mainly because the remote and me also wanting to slow down the delivery of the arrow in the video. We will see.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Go Pro Hero

Postby Moose Man » 04 25, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I love the go pro and use it both for video and photos, super durable (I downhill Mtb and dust/mud/beatings is no issue). The only thing id say is, with the super wide angle, it doesn't handle distant action very well. So for close range, great, but if longer shots, not as nearly good as a regular lens camera. That said, the portability, durability and mount options are unbeatable.
Moose Man

First Name: Erik