Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

WA State - Lighted Nocks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

WA State - Lighted Nocks

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Read thru the 2013 regs last night. "It is unlawful to have any electrical equipment or electric device(s) excep for illuminated nocks, attached to the bow or arrow while hunting". WA hunters can now use luminated nocks. It appears the state has given bowhunters a small crumb 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: WA State - Lighted Nocks

Postby buglmin » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Nice..I wish Colorado would allow them. Lighted nocks do nothing but help you see your arrow in flight and help you see where you hit the animal at. Say what you will, but the CBA and the traditional guys and gals there are so against lighted nocks. And yessir, they are a major influence in helping get things passed.
buglmin

Postby dotman » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I won't use them,they have been legal in KS for a long time. Too expensive is the reason I stay away but I don't see why they aren't legal everywhere.
dotman

Postby bowhunterty » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I won't use them. But if someone else wants to use them, their choice. .
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby FemoralArchery » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

dotman wrote:I won't use them,they have been legal in KS for a long time. Too expensive is the reason I stay away but I don't see why they aren't legal everywhere.

I agree. Little spendy for my blood, but I don't really see anything wrong with them.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hey guys, you can always make your own for about 1/2 the price of the mass produced variety. I probably wont' but you can if you'd like. As a friend of mine reminded me (Slim9300), you either make em all or buy em all or it will most likely change the POI between the two varieties. The method looks pretty straight forward. RJ

WapitiTalk1

Postby stickflngr » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Ya Im glad they finally let us use them and I for one will be.. :D There's a company called TGB archery that make lighted nocks for standard size arrows like Easton, Beman for around $50 a dozen but they also sell weighted practice nocks for .50c apiece. The only reason Im still shooting Luminocks is because dont make nocks for my FMJ's yet..... but they say there getting there 8-)
stickflngr

Postby MTLongdraw » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I've heard a rumor if you use a lighted nock, then you can't enter your kill into Pope and Young. I haven't read it for myself but does anybody know if this is true or not?
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

WA State - Lighted Nocks

Postby slim9300 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:Hey guys, you can always make your own for about 1/2 the price of the mass produced variety. I probably wont' but you can if you'd like. As a friend of mine reminded me (Slim9300), you either make em all or buy em all or it will most likely change the POI between the two varieties. The method looks pretty straight forward. RJ

This is mainly because there can be a large variance in weight between homemade and mass produced versions. 5-10 grains is what I have seen. The average store bought nock is around 25 to 30 grains.

Obviously, adding this kind of weight to the end of your arrow will stiffen the dynamic spine and thus require you to tune your setup for that arrow only. I hear of guys shooting standard nocks (8-10 grains) and then installing lighted nocks but still having the same POI at 20 yards. Maybe, but try shooting 40, 60 or even further. It will get really bad quick. The moral of the story if you plan on shooting lighted nocks is always make sure that you have practice nocks of equal weight. This is the reason I have always loved Firenocks. They last forever since the battery and the nock can both be replaced, and the three pack comes with three practice nocks.

Firenocks are definitely the most expensive option out there but I have nocks that have been shot thousands of times in practice that are still going strong. I prefer to always be able to see my arrow and now it's legal to hunt with them in my home state! :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

WA State - Lighted Nocks

Postby slim9300 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

MTLongdraw wrote:I've heard a rumor if you use a lighted nock, then you can't enter your kill into Pope and Young. I haven't read it for myself but does anybody know if this is true or not?

You are correct.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367333160.416043.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367333160.416043.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367333148.232471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367333148.232471.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Interesting.. I sure didn't know that. Not that I'll probably be knocking down a record roosey but something to consider.
WapitiTalk1

Postby MTLongdraw » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Phantom16 wrote:Interesting.. I sure didn't know that. Not that I'll probably be knocking down a record roosey but something to consider.

Hey $*^# happens. Better be safe than sorry :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby buglmin » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I love lighted nocks, use Firenocks now after using the Easton Tracer nocks for the past four years. I use them to help when I tune, and I havent noticed any differnce in arrow flight at 50 or 60 yards. The Firenock fits perfectly in my Rampage Shafts, and Ive yet to encounter a problem with them. In low light conditions, I know exactly where I hit the animal, and in NM two years ago, actually helped us recover a bull when we seen the nock flashing down a cayon 200 yards below us.
As far as the Pope and Young Club, I have no interest in it anymore, and would rather use the Boone and Crocket Club or SCI. Its a personally matter.
buglmin

Postby wawhitey » 04 30, 2013 •  [Post 14]

also theyre now letting us use archery equiptment during muzzle loader season.... so i went ahead and got my multi this year.... finally theyre showing a LITTLE bit of common sense
wawhitey