Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sleeping System

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sleeping System

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I wasn't sure if I should put this on another thread so I just started a new one.
Well my concern is now with all of them what type of weather can I handle. Now I know this comes down to personal preference and ones own comfort level but generally speaking what temperatures can I handle with my equipment? What kind of weather can I expect?

Scenario: Hunting in western Montana, roughly 7000' to 8500' in elevation, and the time of year will be from September 7th-17th. I may or may not be spike/bivy camping through out the entire duration.
Equipment: BA UL2, Therm-a-rest Neoair, 40 deg bag(North Face Mummy bag). My concern is the bag and only because last year I got cold on a couple of nights. Now I have also read that you can get away with this, meaning plenty people use a 30 deg bag system because of layering. I haven't been able to test my setup yet and need to. But I am looking for experienced hunters opinion or others that will be planning for this as well.
Sleeping in my merino wool. Layering system I am trying to round up for my hunt trying to upgrade my whitetail gear for the mountains you could say (see camo thread :? ). Last year I did the same thing but my problem was not having a synthetic bag. I had napped in it during the day basically sweating on my bag, then the temps decided to drop into the high 20's and I froze........well I was uncomfortable.
I liked the idea of sleeping in my clothes I am wearing the next day simply because I HATED changing in the mornig with frost all around. So this was my thinking anyway....
Before I ramble on any further what is everyone's system when in the back country? Tips from learned lessons before....ect....ect
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Re: Sleeping System

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

In my experience a 40 deg. bag isn't going to cut it, too many unpredictable weather situations. My set up isn't the best but it works for me.

Tent : Eureka Zuess Classic 2 man
Sleeping Pad: Thermarest Z-Lite, and a Thermarest Trail Scout on top of that.
Bag: Cabelas XPG 0 deg.

I use two pads because I like to sleep comfortable, and I use the Z lite for a butt pad when glassing during the day. If my clothes are not wet I usually just throw them in the bag with me at night so they are not cold in the morning. I use my stuff sack with any extra clothing with my jacket over that for a pillow. I have a 15 deg Eureka synthetic that I have used during early season and I have gotten cold with that until I starting using both pads, but a cold snap will ruin that every time. Another thing I have used in the past was a fleece throw blanket inside my bag which helps quite a bit. I use a tent because I do not enjoy bivys AT ALL, I like the room to change and room for my gear.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby ferris bugler » 05 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I think you are thin with that bag. I use a Neolite pad and a 15 degree bag and sometimes I'm still cold. I do hunt at higher elevation in Colorado. You would be warmer if you slept naked and keep your clothes in your bag to keep them warm for the morning.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby bnsafe » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i freeze but i couldnt do that bag.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby aron » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I use a Big Agnes Mystic SL bag and just recently picked up the NeoAir Xtherm pad for this coming season.

If you aren't looking at buying a new bag, one option would be to add a liner to gain a little more warmth out of your current bag. Sea to Summit makes one that adds 25deg (14oz) or 15deg (8.7oz). The additional weight isn't ideal but it's another option versus buying a new bag or pad. I have not personally used one but hunting partner has with good luck. He said it didn't quite add the listed warmth but did help out.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the posts guys, and I was expecting those type of answers. The 40 was a birthday gift from the girl friend who knew I was getting ready for a fall hunt. She was convinced by a salesman that I would be fine and work because of how light it was. I was able to return it for store credit.
I am actually leaning towards a 17 deg bag. ( https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detai ... mountainsl )
It also comes with the girdle compression strap which makes it really nice for saving space. I am a really warm sleeper and should have mentioned that.
Sleeping with clothes in the bag instead of layering, you would stay warmer? Could you elaborate on this ferris bugler:

ferris bugler wrote:I think you are thin with that bag. I use a Neolite pad and a 15 degree bag and sometimes I'm still cold. I do hunt at higher elevation in Colorado. You would be warmer if you slept naked and keep your clothes in your bag to keep them warm for the morning.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lefty » 05 04, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I use to be a warm sleeper. No more.
While I do drive to my camp I had been using an old Slumberjack rated for 20 degrees. Last year I added a liner for 30 degree mornings , sleeping in my underwear.
In general I figure the bags Ive used are off by nearly 20 degrees, if sleeping in my underwear.
I did buy a 0 degree bag( not a lightweight bag) flannal lined, with the liner I mentioned earlier over my head I stayed warm to 10 degrrees

I perfer to wake up warm pull my clothes into my bag to warm up, Then dress outside my tent

I perfer foam pads, I gave up on my thermarest a long time ago for more foam.

The dates you mentioned, Ive camped in Wyoming and Idaho in the low teens, A liner would be a good way to warm up,.. but you may need a better bag if you want to be warm with out do much added weight
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H