Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shelter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shelter

Postby Rojix » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

It's been over 10 years since I had a September camp in Colorado and for the life of me I cant remember what the weather conditions were like. All camping was done at a trailhead or right off a road because I never had the time to do an extended backcountry hunt. Now that I'm planning a backcountry hunt I'm struggling with what type of shelter I should get. I see a lot of people promoting kifaru tarps or the LBO type shelters. I was really looking at a Hilleberg anjan but started questioning it because I'm not sure I need a bombproof shelter in September. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Rojix

First Name: Jake

Re: Shelter

Postby dotman » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you don't want to spend a ton look at the new mountainsmith mountain lt tarp, pretty much they copied the Kifaru and used less durable materials but it should work well. Another option is the golite tents and then of course ba etc.
dotman

Postby Rojix » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thanks dotman. It's not really about cost it's about functionality. I know what to expect from a tent, but I have very limited knowledge of the tarp type shelters. My main concern would be how they handle bad weather and ease of setup/teardown.
Rojix

First Name: Jake

Shelter

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I had a Hilleberg Akto and a Nallo 2 right before I went floorless and got a K Supertarp. Then I went to a SO BCS, and now I'm waiting on a LBO and vestibule which I think will be pretty dialed for early season Colorado.

Btw, I love the space to weight ratio of the floorless shelters. The Akto was bombproof but I was too tall to sit up straight in it without cocking my head to one side. Drove me nuts.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby dotman » 05 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

As Rockchucker will be able to add and hopefully agree, the tarps are very weather proof and super quick and easy to setup. I won't go back to a conventional tent again. It is a hard step to take and not for everyone but if you can get past the idea of needing a floor (not needed) you will see how bomb proof they are. I'm not sure if SO has video of their shelters in extreme weather but if you search out Kifaru you will see videos of their tarps and tipis in 70mph gusts. So yes they are 4 season tarps and setup quick, now the lower priced immitations like mountainsmith I highly doubt will be as durable in extreme weather but I could be wrong as I haven't owned (should hear more on it in the next year since it is new but quite a few have picked it up and added a stove boot to it).

So I say give either SO or Kifaru a try, you will not be disappointed but just be fore warned, the material seems very thin but it is extremely strong.
dotman

Postby sreekers » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

As far as floorless goes i have now used the Paratarp, TiGoat v5, LBO, BCS, and SO 4/6 man tipis. Each has their place and purpose, and its worth reading up on each.

Stand up room is big to me, so i really like the bcs. However, its overkill for solo outings, so the LBO is what I own. For double or more the 6 is my preference.

If you need a floor, look at a nest. Great middle ground imo.

Durability wont be an issue, all three of the brands i mentioned pride themselves on quality and customer service.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Postby kevin_t » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Funny story, my son took a 12 man for his weeklong class camping trip. Apparently it got pretty windy and several tents blew away one night but not the 12 man. they handle weather well.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby sreekers » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Need to get some high wind videos.
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott