Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scope for My Son

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scope for My Son

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My son is 11 years old and will be deer hunting with me this year. He has a small Rossi .243 and my plan is to put shoot through mounts on his rifle. Anybody have a recommendation on a scope that is a better fit for a younster?

Thanks in advance!
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Scope for My Son

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I say call Paul for a Vortex.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby aron » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Hey John, when you're talking about shoot through mounts, are you referring to scope mounts to raise the scope and still use open sights below? If so, one thing to watch for is it probably will raise the scope too high to get a good cheek weld for a youngster. I would look for low scope mounts but a scope with lower magnification to gain a bigger field of view. There are also cheap kits to increase cheek weld if you do go higher scope mounts.

I would also feel confident in some of the vortex line of scopes.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

aron wrote:Hey John, when you're talking about shoot through mounts, are you referring to scope mounts to raise the scope and still use open sights below? If so, one thing to watch for is it probably will raise the scope too high to get a good cheek weld for a youngster. I would look for low scope mounts but a scope with lower magnification to gain a bigger field of view. There are also cheap kits to increase cheek weld if you do go higher scope mounts.

I would also feel confident in some of the vortex line of scopes.

Ah, yes good point. Thanks for the info!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 5]

John,

I also am not a fan of see through mounts....

What is your price range on the scope? I have not used a vortex but have heard good things, and you couldn't buy from a better guy. I've had several Nikon scopes and like them ok. The Leupy VX3 is one of my favorites as well.

A 3X9 is probably all he needs.

I use talley LW mounts on all my rifles currently. They are simple and very strong.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby bnsafe » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

well im prob gonna get something thrown at me, but, i grew up with a cheap bushnell scope and it worked fine, put a cheap barska scope on my p dog gun and it works fine, bought the kids a couple centerpoint scopes for there rifles and it works fine. the only bad experience ive had is on my ar15 and it will not hold a zero. other than that ive been happy. now i know the better the scope the better you can see etc, and i dont debate that, but if hes 11 yrs old how far is he gonna shoot anyway. save some money, imo
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I would prefer a simple, but reliable scope for a new hunter. A fixed 4x should be plenty, but if Vortex only has variables, I would go with one with low magnification. If your son has good equipment, he is more likely to be satisfied and stick with hunting. While you are at it, run a few more sacks of spuds through him so he grows up to pack out your elk. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

+1 on the vortex line from Paul. Even the low-end Vortex scopes have really clear glass and their warranty is AWESOME . . . and they stand by it.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Have Paui set you up with a 3x9 Vortex. It will last him for a life time and he can put it on a bigger rifle as he grows up.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Thanks guys! It's been a long time since I've thought about hunting with a rifle.
JohnFitzgerald

Scope for My Son

Postby pointysticks » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Look for long eye relief. I'd get low magnification. 2-7 maybe. Max. He won't be shooting long distances. The low mag will let him learn to acquire the target quickly and will have the long eye relief. Heck. Maybe 1.7-5x from vortex. Long eye relief will protect him from that scope eyebrow:)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 08, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Thanks guys for the advice!
jf
JohnFitzgerald