Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What to look for in a Trail Cam & how to set it up for elk?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What to look for in a Trail Cam & how to set it up for elk?

Postby mtnmutt » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Obviously, I am more a new hunter than even the whitetail deer hunters turned elk hunters on this site.

I know absolutely nothing about trail cams. I read up on some, however, I really have no idea what to look for in one.

This fall I plan to try ambush elk hunting since I already know a travel route from feed to bedding, plus primary water location.

My plan is to set out 2 cams. 2-4 weeks before hunting season. I may have to leave them there up to 3 weeks at time. I read that bears will mess with them, so I need a "cage" for them. There is a possibility they can get stolen since it is a highly hunted area.

What do you look for in a trail cam?

Are there certain settings you prefer on your trail cam?
mtnmutt

Re: What to look for in a Trail Cam & how to set it up for e

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bears do mess with cameras. I have never caged a camera. I just pick it up and set it back up. Elk will mess with a camera too. All I want from my camera is to be able to identify what passes in front of the lens. I want one that is water proof. Cheap is good, but I personally am leery of Bushnell stuff. I like the date and time to be recorded on each picture. As I posted on your other thread a fast trigger speed is almost a necessity where the elk just pass in front of the camera. A slow trigger will show you the hind end of an animal or just scenery. The elk is gone before the camera takes a picture. I am not into a lot of high tech options that I have to study to make work. I like simple. That usually goes well with cheap. Fast triggers usually do not go well with cheap.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mtnmutt » 05 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thank you Swede.

I will look them over more this weekend to at least get an idea what money I need in late May to buy 2. I had not planned on spending any money this year on new hunting/camping stuff. I have been anxious to find out if this one spot will work for an ambush, so a trail cam is the best bet.
mtnmutt

Postby aron » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

As Swede mentioned. Fast trigger speed is key.

I'm not too concerned about needing 8+ MP trail camera or no need to spend $400 per camera. I can get by with 5MP as I use it more for identification instead of detail. Battery life shouldn't be too much of an issue if you only plan to leave it out for a month at a time. I use some of the bushnell cameras with decent luck and 4 lithium batteries will last couple months with 2k pictures in warm weather. I have the option to run either 4 or 8 batteries at a time and 8 will last all summer and good portion of the fall if it isn't too cold. If you are worried about the 2 legged thieves, smaller is better to conceal. I like to back my cameras off the main trail about 15 ft (if have a clear view to trail) to get a better field of view, this will also help with trigger speed and chances of elk bumping the camera.

You can set up the camera and walk on the game trail and check the picture with a point and shoot camera to make sure you have it set up right. Nothing worse than leaving a camera out for a month and realize you are missing most the action or too low/high to the ground.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have a Bushnell and it works quite well.

Ive gotten plenty of bear eyeballs and whiskers, easy to avoid by raising your camera up 9-10 feet. You will get fewer rabbits and bird pics too. And often a better pic.
I got 4700 pics one day, filled the card, so up higher is a better thing, people may not mess with it as much either if they dont see it.
Like regular photography a number of things need to be taken into consideration, Keep the back to the sun, make sure their isnt any light branches close by, instead of having the game walk past the camera if possible set the camera more or less going up and down the trail instead of across
Most new camersa with good batteries are generally quick enough,.. Late season, and below temps you may miss some game, or the 2nd 3rd pic
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby mtnmutt » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

How do you set your camera up 9-10 ft from ground?

I am short 5'4" with short arms. I can either pack in a small lightweight step ladder or learn how to use climbing gear to hoist up?

Keep the tips coming. They are all helpful.
mtnmutt

Postby Lefty » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

mtnmutt wrote:How do you set your camera up 9-10 ft from ground?

I am short 5'4" with short arms. I can either pack in a small lightweight step ladder or learn how to use climbing gear to hoist up?

Keep the tips coming. They are all helpful.

Two methods we use
Make a tall tripod ( it works but takes time) from small timber
I made a ladder I keep at out bear bait,.. We use to keep a 6 foot step ladder there, I guess a fellow could use foot pegs too.

I have a pic of a cow elks rear as she rubbed my camera,.. also a bull a short section of a bulls hrons as he scraped against the camera, put the camera up and it will keep working
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 8]

mtnmutt

Check this site out when looking to purchase

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=1
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 05 07, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Cheap Moultrie with flash. Color night pictures.
Primos Truth cam 46, LED black and white night pictures
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Mikeha33 » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I dont have any experience using trail cams on elk, or bear country for that matter, but I do run cameras in KS year round, watching our whitetail herd, turkey flock, predators, and always watching for tresspassers. I have used several brands; Bushnell, Moultire, Stealthcam, Wildgame, Covert, etc, for over 12 years, and hands down, for trigger speed, battery life, clarity, and value, I'll never own anything other than a Cuddeback. They are as reliable as they come, for a reasonable value. I own many currently, and usually add at least 1/yr.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey