Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting On A Budget

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting On A Budget

Postby sreekers » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After I get done reviewing the Seek Outside shelters my plan is to move on to helping the new guy, or guy on a budget get it done. Some of it will go to the More Than Memories Series, and some will be reviews and guides to finding decent equipment on a budget. So, let me pose a few questions:

1. Not including optics and weapons, where do you place priority when it comes to gear?

2. What pieces of equipment are you willing to save a buck on, and what pieces do you have to have the best?
The More Than Memories Series, helping new elk hunters be successful:

http://seekoutside.com/buzz/blog/
sreekers
Site Sponsor

First Name: Scott

Re: Elk Hunting On A Budget

Postby dotman » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I think it would also be helpful to not limit it to gear but also add in resources where good deals can be found. I know a ton of us have saved some good money on good gear because we either stumbled across a site or had it passed on to us.
dotman

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

1. I think that is difficult to answer unless you know the type of hunt. Sleeping quarters is big for me after learning from my mistakes last year. I have read many places and on here as well. A good nights sleep can make a big difference in waking up in the morning with a positive attitude for that days hunt. SO, I started off with a good bag and mat.

2. Food for me is no concern. I don't need hot meals and I eat about anything. Not saying its a big category for savings but in buying the jet boil set ups with the mountains house meals.....I guess I just don't see it being worth it.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby pointysticks » 05 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

i've done several pack trips with my regular Gregory backpack. this pack has been to Southeast asia and back. it is bright blue, and every hooved animal can probably pick out blue for miles.hahah

in the beginning, my gear is all multi taskers..i was just using my hiking gear. clothing, packs..etc. i figured i couldnt or wouldnt spend money on hunting dedicated gear.

now, my stuff is transitioning towards hunting dedicated stuff. FYI,,tying a bow to the outside of a gregory pack sucks.\

hopefully, my next trip to Burma or Mongolia..i will be sporting a new coyote brown pack system..all riding on a new bikini frame. haha.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Hackbow » 05 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Some budget items that allowed me to start elk hunting without breaking the bank:

Tent - $139 - Eureka Zeus Exo 2 - owned it before elk hunting for backpacking trips. Lightweight, small pack size, single-wall (condensation issues), roomy for one and gear.

Bag - $149 - 15 degree private labeled for a now-defunct chain by Slumberjack. Reaching the end of it's useful life.....may replace this year. Looking at Kifaru Slick Bag. Seems to be good value for price?

Pack #1 - $41 - Kelty Ridgeline something or other bought on ebay. Seems to be similar design as the current Coyote/Red Cloud packs, but has dark blue and grey lightweight nylon shell. Somewhat comfortable, horrible load lifters, not quiet and not camo/earth tones. But it handles #80 without popping a stitch and is huge. I only use it for packing in and out and off season training. Don't need camo or quiet for that. Did I mention it was $41?

Pack #2 - $32 - Remington brand camo, fleece/suede, day pack I think I picked up at Wally World. Big enough to handle my daily hunting need, survival gear and bivy camp items. Small enough to ride comfortably and out of the way in all anticipated shooting positions. Also does a fantastic job in it's role as a pillow for mid-day siestas.

Cooking gear - $6-10 for Esbit stove and tabs, $5 for 16 oz ss cup to boil water for MH meals, coffee, tea and the nightly warm bath.

Food - MH #10 cans of food, parceled into my desired serving size using a Foodsaver. Slightly less cost and significantly less bulk/pack space.

Other food - $varies - make my own venison jerky, make my own trail mix/gorp, pre-make PB, bacon and honey tortillas (Foodsaver), buy Clif bars or similar when on sale 10 for $10. This year I'm looking into making my own bars trying to save $ and pack in more calories per ounce.

Clothing - $3.99 for merino sweater base layers at Goodwill. $3.99 long sleeved plaid Woolrich wool shirt for outer layer. $40 for Columbia tech-type jacket (off-season sale). Lightweight, warm, water resistant, and elk-decoying brown in color. ;o) Approx $10 black, grey or brown wool beanie for cold morning and head covering at night. $30 green, flyfishing weight (cool, super fast drying), ripstop cargo pants (off-season sale). These finally gave up the ghost, need to replace with something else.

Face camo #1 - $0 - I wear a beard and mustache.

Face camo #2 - $0 - I use charcoal from a burnt stick and mud throughout the day on the areas with no facial hair. Takes no room in pack, cleans off easily, replenishible at a moments notice.

I probably have more, but these are the ones off the top of my head. As my disposable income becomes greater I hope to upgrade in some areas. But even with my budget gear, I feel the quality and utility equals or tops that of most of the gear used in the past, so I don't believe I am handicapping myself in any way. As has been stated on this and other forums, mental prep may be the heart of backcountry elk hunting. If I know that my gear will provide the needed utility, then I can focus on hunting. No matter the price, the gear has to do it's job. That is all that is required. I know my cheap stuff has been performing fine. Now I need to do mine. :lol:
Hackbow

First Name: D
Last Name: S

Postby wideangle » 05 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

The Army/Navy stores that sell military surplus have many items an elk hunter can use; clothing, camp gear etc.
Also used items on eBay or Craigslist are often well below retail.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby ferris bugler » 05 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I always hit the backpacking sites to learn new tricks to lighten my load or make things more functional. They don't always have the best ideas, but I've learned some.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Lefty » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Check out the for Sale adds on hunting fishing and camping back parkers sites/forums.
I bought barely used duck and goose decoys less than 10cents on the dollar
top quality womens hunting clothes at 1/5 of the price
a nearly new Genisis bow trophy taker sights, carbon arrows and release shipped for $95.00
Im no super shopper but deals do come around if your paying attenition

If you have shooting gear and optics you can get by with what is at home, or make do without
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WindedBowhunter » 05 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

sreekers - Focus could be on your pack, especially if you need to haul out the critter!

Saving a buck... Maybe on a heavier sleeping bag and pad, stove, food

I save my funds and try to buy the best that I can afford/budget the 1st time! Items are:
Backpack
Shelter
Boots
Clothing

You may also be able to borrow some items from a friend, repay him or her with meat from your harvest!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I used to think that I had to have the best of everything but that just isn't true. There are a lot of purchases I made just be part of the "club" and not solely because of function.

You don't need a really expensive backpack to elk hunt. Some good midpriced packs are out there, and if you can deal with some clunkiness then a frame pack can work pretty well, and is very well suited to packing meat.

You don't need $300 boots to elk hunt. I have Lowa Sheephunters, Ranger, and Tibets....I hunted in a $100 pair of trail runners last year.

You don't need $2000 binoculars to elk hunt. I traded up from Pentax binos to my 10X42 Swaro EL's.....I won't be going backwards from there, but you don't really NEED the swaros. :lol:

I've had a jetboil and I've got a snowpeak giga. What I'll take this year is a free beer can alky stove, if I take a stove at all. For heating coffee and tea I may just use a wood fire.

I think that getting out there is more important than having the best of everything. I'd say that getting woods experience is 90% of the battle....gear just makes it more comfortable.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby bnsafe » 05 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

i bought the coleman max cook thing that looks like the msr but 29 bucks at walmart, boils water just fine in a couple minutes.
spent 30 bucks for a 0 degree mummy bag last year at bass pro on clearance, worked great and kept me warm but i hate mummy bags so i bought a 0 rectangle bag for 49 this year.
bought an alps commander framepack for 104 shipped that works fine
assolo sassalong boots used 3 times for 75 bucks
big agnes airlight pad for 35 bucks
kodiak canvas deluxe 10x10 tent with ground tarp for 377 no taxes or shipping (got lucky on that)
i bought several scent lok clothing items last year on clearance for less than one garment of name brand stuff (dont care bout scent lok but the material is stretchy and breathable and works great in the mnts)
most of my stuff is decent stuff (kodiak, big agnes, assolo, etc) that i paid very little for, granite i do spend time surfing the net for deals but i enjoy looking so it works.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Vanish » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I think a big saver could be skipping out on Backpack hunting in the beginning. Hunt from a truck / SUV and you've already got your sleeping situation covered (put a futon in the back), as well as not having to worry so much about weight. Keep a cheap (but sturdy) used frame pack for packing out the elk. No need to have fancy camo, earth tones work just fine. Dual burner Coleman camp stoves can be found dirt cheap, they've been around for 60 years (I think the one I used last year is about 40 years old).

This eliminates the most expensive purchases from the equation: lightweight backpack, tent, mattress, stove.

It also allows one to become familiar with hunting elk from a more comfortable environment. Just a week long backpack trip can be hard enough on someone, let alone mixing in elk hunting. You're also more mobile, so if things don't work out as planned, just move.

I think a lot of people get carried away with gear. Wall tents, ATVs, RVs, Steak Dinners, Porta Potties, Showers, Cameron Hanes ... none of that is needed to hunt elk. If you've got the gear and can afford to transport it, or the willpower to carry everything everywhere for 9 days, more power to you, but don't think you need that to do it.

Weapon ( You do NOT need the latest )
Frame Pack ( craigslist or similar, external frames work well for meat )
Futon ( Free on craigslist all the time, you don't need the frame )
Coolers ( Fancy ones work well, but we've picked up a half a dozen from thrift stores for $2 that work well enough )
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby lang » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

+1 vanish, love hunting out of the back of the truck. Super mobile and doesn't take a ton to make it comfy.
lang

First Name: Bryan

Postby Bowhunter » 06 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I too hunt out of the back of my truck. I have a twin size matress that is real comfortable. I can sit up grab some food then cook breakfast. I keep my clothes and gear in the back seat away from the odors. After breakfast I change clothes and am off and running before sun up. I can move to the next trailhead at any time.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry

Postby Bowhunter » 06 27, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I have picked up several 100% merinol wool sweaters at good will for 3.38 or half of that if that color is on sale that week. I bought a Elberalstock Gunslinger backpack in coyote brown still in wrapper with tag for 20 dollars at the salvation army. You never know what you will find :D
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry