Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

you think that tiny saw blade in a Leatherman could....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

....do butchering duty?

my good friend uses a Havalon. he also cut himself bad! he now carries a leatherman to change blades. i was poking fun at him and asking if the leatherman defeats the purpose of the weight savings associated with the lightweight havalon. he commented, "no, now i have a small saw for butchering as well".

not bad! decent idea.

what do you think? just wondering (and bored)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: you think that tiny saw blade in a Leatherman could....

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I wasnt a fan of my outdoor edge saw I carried last year. With saying that I think it would take way too long to use a leather-man saw blade to do anything associated with butchering. The milti tools seems to be excessive to me...But feeling confident in your own gear is the main thing.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Indian Summer » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

U'm NO! But I wouldn't consider it nothing but extra weight. A Leatherman has plenty of good uses. Butchering is ot one of them. Havalon is awesome. Outdoor Edge products are like Wal Mart grade junk. Wyoming Saw is the go to for that.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby LckyTylr » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'd say . . . the only reason for a saw is for cutting skull plate (if you don't want to take entire head) . . . or cutting firewood.

Either way, I carry a saw and don't use it for either. If I kill a bull, I'm taking entire head and doing a Euro Mount. If I need firewood . . . oh I don't, I get back to camp too late t have the energy to enjoy a fire and I cook with a jetboil.

I do have a havalon, for changing blades, I have a super small pair of needle-nose fishing pliers, works awesome.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Kolpin10 » 05 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I bought a small ultralight set of multipliers just for changing the blade on the havalon, the other benifif is that it has screwdrivers, a awl, and a small pair of sissors, all use full items.
Kolpin10

First Name: K
Last Name: Hoover

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

. Outdoor Edge products are like Wal Mart grade junk.

HAHA yes they are.........learned that one the hard way!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have always carried a Leatherman on my hunting belt for a variety of reasons but not to saw anything. The only reason I carry an and actual saw is for the skull plate.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby BobcatJerry » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Letherman tools are always on my side, hunting or going out to dinner with the wife. Use them to do so many things, I couldn't imagine not having one hunting. Using it as a bone saw is a bit much. I have trimmed 1" branches off trees at work and it is a chore compared to my tree saws.

Ok, just thought of a good use for a leatherman hunting...I was hiding my keys before going up on the mountain to my truck under the hood. I have keyless entry on the F-150 so I hide them under the hood and use the key-less entry to open the truck to open the hood. I had two sets, you know just to be safe. When I set them down on the wheel well under the hood they slid down the wheel well and was well out of reach in the body of the truck. Only tool I had was the Leatherman. I was able to undo the screws and pry the fender skirts out from the fender enough to stick my fat fingers in and snag the keys. My buddy was in tears, but I my Leatherman to saved the day.
Attachments
IMG_3182.jpg
IMG_3182.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby pointysticks » 05 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Awesome.
pointysticks

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 16, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Currently I carry a leatherman skeletool every day, and it is very handy. I took it on my elk hunt last year, and also took a Havalon.

My thinking is changing a bit and I think I can go a bit lighter and gain functionality.

This year I will probably take the Havalon plus a set of Mini Channellocks, which are small and only weigh 1.5 oz, but are actually useful. If there is any chance of cooking fish or campfires then I'll add a Mora to my kit. The Mora plus mini channellocks will weigh in the neighborhood of 5-5.5 oz, but I get a much more useful knife blade and still have the usefulness of the pliers.

If I want a saw then I'll take a Sawvivor. I have it and the Wyoming saw, and it cuts as well but weighs a lot less.

I don't see a lot of improvement available for this system in weight and functionality.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Indian Summer » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hmm... never thought of that Nate. I'm a huge fan of channel lok pliers. Way more leverage to do the job than a multi tool. Once in a blue moon I'll use some of the other tools on the Leatherman but the pliers are really why I carry it. Thanks... always learning. :idea:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby kevin_t » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I usually use a Havilon, and I also usually carry a Mora fire knife. I also have been on the fence for years on carrying my Leatherman. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I've carried foreceps for changing Havilon blades, I've carried small multi tools and stuff in it's place, but I often come back to it, just for it's utility.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby pointysticks » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

wanna hear something funny?

i just checked all of my leathermans..(leatherMENs?)

none of them even have a saw..i have one more in my truck i need to suss out.
pointysticks