Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Fanny Pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Fanny Pack

Postby JGH » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'll be packing in to a camp this year, but from there, I'm thinking about using a fanny pack as a day pack, and I'm looking for thoughts on this.

The advantage I'm looking for would be that I would be less tempted to carry too much stuff, which happens with my current day pack. I end up bringing too much with me. A fanny pack would allow me to carry some water, a first aid kit, a knife, a camera, a GPS, and some game bags and rope.

As I look, there seem to be a couple varieties: Those with, and those without, shoulder straps.

Advantages, disadvantages? Thoughts?

(As for removing a dead elk from the woods, I'll use horses and/or a pack frame for that. "First load" issues are not super-high on my priority list right now.)
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Fanny Pack

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've had several daypacks. I also had a badlands monster fanny pack.

My setup as of right now for day hunting would be a HPG Tarahumara with a Seek Outside Gateway added on. I used this setup turkey hunting this year and it works really, really well. I put a sawyer filter bottle in the Gateway, so all I have to do for water is scoop it up from a source and drink filtered water through the straw.

I did a video which can be seen here:

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

Honestly I was a bit skeptical of the gateway when Kevin first started talking about it, but it's one of those things that looks funny but works really well. I use it all the time now.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Over the years I have owned a bunch of different fannypacks. The best ones always seemed to be the double decker ones with shoulder straps. But there just never seemed to be enough room in any of them. That's why I switched to a good daypack.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wideangle » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have used a Cabela's brand fanny pack for many years. It is still in great condition with ample room for all my gear.
I use the belted model with no shoulder straps. If I need shoulder straps I probably have too much gear. The pack is soft sided not rigid.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby ferris bugler » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I hunt with one occasionally with our shoulder straps and it makes my hips and muscles around that area sore if I'm not used to it. After about a week of wearing it I get in shape, but those first few days are rough. It's a great way to hunt though as it never seems to get in my way or hung up on trees and stuff like my backpack. I haven't ever used one with shoulder straps so no pointers there.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby cnelk » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Im with WW on this.
I have also used fanny packs but I found out the thing I needed was to carry was a water bladder.
And if youre gonna carry a Camelback along with a fanny pack, well I guess a good daypack is in order.

Plus, I want to take meat out on the first trip if I get one down.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby planebow » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

cnelk wrote:Im with WW on this.
I have also used fanny packs but I found out the thing I needed was to carry was a water bladder.
And if youre gonna carry a Camelback along with a fanny pack, well I guess a good daypack is in order.

Plus, I want to take meat out on the first trip if I get one down.

+1
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby JGH » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Well, like I said, the "first trip out" issues aren't huge with me because I plan on bringing horses back for that.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the shoulder straps really help, or if they're just decorative.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Fanny Pack

Postby Solitude » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 9]

JGH,

Hunting light (just a fanny pack) is one of my favorite ways to hunt. Super comfortable, way more comfortable to shoot my bow IMO, keeps me just carrying the basics for the days hunt and for some reason I feel way more predatory with just a fanny pack on vs a backpack. IMO the shoulder straps are key on the fanny pack as they keep it from sliding down when you are running and gunning.

If you have water in your area a Nalgene is all you need and if you carry a small 50mm scope or not one at all you should not have space issues......otherwise the GIF has got to you.

I use a basic Cabelas 7 year old fanny pack with shoulder straps. The large main compartment without a bunch or small pockets is key to me. Think about it, our large packs do not even have as many freaken pockets as some of the fanny packs on the market now days! Less pockets the betters.

Lastly, though they are not meat haulers, if you only have a short hike (and you have the shoulder straps) you can get creative and tie on 20-30lbs to the top of the large pack to get the prime cuts out in the first trip. I have done it with heads too, though not comfortable, you can get it done. In your case you are on horseback so it would be a no brainer for me.
Solitude

Postby Ridgernr » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have been using a primos bow vest for a few years now but I always have to carry a hydropack for water, this year I am going to add a back pocket to the bow vest and use it alone on short hunts.
It does make a hunt more enjoyable when I minimize my gear when to hunt allows it. I also keep a daypack ready when we decide to be out all day.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby Njdiverdan » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I have the Tenzing 1250 butt pack. It has more than enough room for a days hunt. I also think I could get a quarter out on it if I really needed to. I like the bow holder with it as well, and it has a pocket and hose for a bladder.

-Dan.
Njdiverdan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Aron Snyder » 05 19, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I don't use a fanny pack very often, but when I do, it has has shoulder straps.

If your a skinny dude, the Badlands Monster may not work, as the belt doesn't work well down past 33ish inches.

Nimrod makes a great fanny pack, as well as Wilderness pack systems (I think that's the name....companies out of Oregon).

The Kifaru Scout (what I use) has attachment point to add pockets, but like any K gear, you'll pay for it.

The other option is running something like the Sitka 14 Ascent pack, Kifaru Xray or something of that nature. These type of packs are sort of hybrids, and will give you a little extra room compared to a fanny pack, but keep things stealthy/mobile/agile.

Good luck on your decision!
Aron Snyder

First Name: Aron
Last Name: Snyder

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 19, 2013 •  [Post 13]

For your intended use a fanny/daypack in the very lightweight version may be the key for you? I have & use a Horn Hunter fanny/daypack style for my turkey hunts. It's a fanny pack with shoulder straps but it has an additional daypack sack that is folded over the fanny pack itself, with the snap of two buckles you now are in daypack mode where you could carrry or take off and put a jacket in it or similar item, it's very lightweight & practical for your intended use. Less than 2lbs I'd guess. I can show photos of it if you'd like?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul