Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bear Spray / Yes or no??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bear Spray / Yes or no??

Postby rudyc » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We'll be hunting in western Colorado this September and from what I've been told from many sources, there is a pretty healthy population of Black Bears in our hunting area.

I have never felt the need for bear protection before, but after all the reports and residents telling me I may need protection, I'm thinking about bear spray.
I know how I shoot with a pistol and figure I'd be better off shooting myself with it rather than the poor performance I'd give in a stressful situation.

So maybe bear spray it is: My question to you is two parts::

Do I need it??
And if I do??

Do you have a recommendation as to which brand to use and what size to get. I see there are several sizes and brands out there and I am clueless as to what I may need, if any??

Thanks in advance,

rudyc
rudyc

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: C

Re: Bear Spray / Yes or no??

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If it gives you peace of mind, then yes...you need it.

There are several good brands. Read a few reviews and pick one. The more important thing is to keep it at hand.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby mtnmutt » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I have hiked around CO for 22 years and I have never had a bear encounter. I only took up hunting 3 years ago. Nothing on the ground yet to attract a bear.

I have concluded that I smell really bad and the bears will have nothing to do with me.

That being said, my plan this year is to get an elk. I hunt alone and I have bad hearing. REI has the Counter Assault Bear Deterrent Spray 8.1 oz can on sale now through Memorial Day and I plan to buy it. I figure my luck will run out soon.

Some bear spray reviewers say you need the larger can: 10.2 oz, however...
1) Seems likely you need the larger one for grizzlies, but maybe not black bears.
2) I am too lazy to carry larger items than I have to, so I am opting for the smaller can.
3) If you are patient and spray when the bear is closer which is most effective, why not the smaller can?

If nothing else, if gives my family piece of mind that I will have it. I am still more likely to spray myself and then I won't notice the bear knocking me to the ground while my eyes are stinging from pepper.
mtnmutt

Postby ferris bugler » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

You don't need it. All the bears are in town in the dumpsters at that time of year. But seriously you won't need it. You probably will see bears, but they aren't aggressive at that time of year. Just be smart.
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Indian Summer » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I don't think it's necessary unless you're in griz country. BUT... it's cheap insurance right. I wouldn't carry it around with me when hunting but I like to keep one handy in camp where there's food and cooking going on.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Bear Spray / Yes or no??

Postby Solitude » 05 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Seems you are looking for opinions so....personally I carry it all the time while bow hunting. Find yourself between a mother and her cubs and you will probably wish you had it.

Do an internet search on South Cox and his encounter and it may help you make a decision.

For me, when I am a few miles back in it gives me some peace if mind. Personally I am not into taking on any animal, bear/lion/wolf with a knife and can admit that under pressure hitting a moving target while under pressure with a pistol is going to be futile for me.
Solitude

Postby dapper » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My son and I carry it. It'll give you a little piece of mind. We bought them originally for a Wisconsin bear hunt, took them on an ontario bear hunt and finally on our elk hunt. We never used them, except my son took his out of his holster and test fired it on the elk hunt when he was in some thick stuff and heard a growl. He generally doesn't spook easily.
Bear spray has an expiration date, so if you get some make sure its not one that has been sitting around in a warehouse for a while. As a side note, if you plan on a Canadian trip in the near future, it may pay to study their laws and get a spray that is allowable, so you don't have to buy a second bottle. They don't allow as high of a concentration. Though they didn't even check ours at the border.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby 6.5City » 05 18, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I carry it just because you never know. The problem is having it where you can get to it quickly if needed.
6.5City

First Name: Michael

Postby Indian Summer » 05 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

6.5City wrote:I carry it just because you never know. The problem is having it where you can get to it quickly if needed.

Absolutely! They sell it with or without belt holsters. Get the holster! Anywhere on your pack is a half second too far away.

I've kept cans long aftet the expiration date. Later tried them and they still worked fine.

Maybe a Slip System blind with a picture of Rosie O'Donnell would work better... & no expiration date! lol
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby dapper » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Rosie O'Donnell on a slip cover, Now thats funny! Probably work on most anything.

Good point about the expiration date, we'll have to keep trying ours after that date.
dapper

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I will be making the change this year from carrying a side arm to bear spray. Last year I was hunting an area where I knew Mt. Lions and Wolves were present but never had the need for it. I am not sure I would have been able to in a desperate situation either. I don't feel I practiced enough with it to be effective in a dangerous situation and with most stats showing bear spray is more effective is why I will be making the switch......not sure I will know which one is better until after I have an encounter........
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby quarbles » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

use the holster!
i had a can in a cargo pocket for quick access, was never a problem. out one day and the orange tab must have pulled. go to sit and next thing i hear a hiss and i look. poof. faceful of yukon magnum. 6 litres of water, 45 minutes before i could open one eye, buddy doing a hell of a job calming me. could have been worse. learned that the holster is a better place than a pocket.....
education is expensive....
upshot is i feel confident in the debilitating effect of bear spray.
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby dapper » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Quarbles, that reminds me of when we went to ontario bear hunting. Our hunting camp consisted of two vehicles, the other vehicle, my two nephews pulled out of camp for home earlier than my son and I. They switched drivers somewhere during the night and Robbie who is a little shorter decided he needed the drivers seat moved ahead. So as they were cruising down the highway, he slid the seat forward. Unknown to him, Jeffs bear spray was wedged between the two seats and went off. Good thing is was a dark lonely highway, because they made an arupt stop. They said the same thing, that stuff works!
dapper

Postby Canvsbk » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I got caught unintentionally between a sow black bear and her cubs while trout fishing a couple years back. She came close enough that I would have used spray had I had it. The cubs were trying to get around me from behind and the sow from the front. Funny now, heart stopping at the time. Eventually we all went about our business.
Canvsbk

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nelson

Postby Migolito » 05 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Ive actually been charged by a griz. The princess and i did the alcan by motorcycle last year. Just out of carcross wd spotted a fairly big griz about 150 yards off the road ahead of us. I downshifted to about 40 mph. Apparenly griz dont like goldwings, cause that big old teddy bear turned apex predator and charged our way faster than i could react. He covered the distance in about 4 seconds...no exageration. No gun, no spray, which i had btw, could have worked at the speed he was on us. He stopped about 10 ft from the still moving bike. Imo...leave the spray and bring the gun for the animals you can use it on to defend yourself
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby rino » 05 21, 2013 •  [Post 16]

carry spray and .454 ruger alaskan...sometimes one or the other or both, depending on how close to griz areas i'm hunting.

Plan would be to pull out both, discharge spray first then pistol if need be.
rino

Last Name: Reynolds

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Questions for people that have had these encounters. Would you have time to defend yourself with both? Migoltio, that had to be a scary moment with a bear charging that quick! I have only seen things like this on video and not sure how I would react in person. But for how fast it came and stopped, how could you use two things to deter it? I only ask because if you miss with one or the other it sounds a person may not have enough time after a miss. I have not hunted in bear country yet, and not sure if or when I will try out near grizz country. I only was thinking of switching to spray instead of a side arm this year where there are black bears present because you don't have to kill or hit it directly to make it out. Like I said before though this all in research.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby wawhitey » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 18]

i carry lead based bear spray myself
wawhitey

Postby Migolito » 05 22, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Actually, it happened so fast I didn't have time to be scared while it was happening. Later on, upon reflection, oh yea! I'm still in awe of how fast the bear was.
Migolito

First Name: Mike