Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Bow????

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Bow????

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

With all the new bows out there considering getting a new one. Any recommendations I'm a RH, release shooter want to shoot 400 grain arrows.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Re: New Bow????

Postby buglmin » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

No matter what i say about them or feel about them, you cant beat a Mathews. I get to shoot a lot of bows, and I really do shoot better with a Mathews. They dont have the recoil like my Darton or Hoyt, draw a lot smoother then Bowtech or PSE.
buglmin

Postby Swede » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

We are all different. I would prefer one with a thin grip, moderate 32-34 axle to axle with parallel limbs, and about a 7 inch bh. Try several and see what works best for you. Some compounds load up sooner that others, so you need to hold solid against the wall. These bows shoot faster too. Also I do not like hand shock at the end. As I mentioned we are all different. Matthews makes a good bow. I just never liked their grip, and I don't shoot them as well as some others.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

no way of answering that question. it truly is individual when it comes to bows. i shoot a hoyt because and only because the pro fit grip feels like a dream in my hand. the bowtech grip is to narrow for me and the mathews feels like a junk of wood. thats all for me. they all make very good bows now days. go shoot several brands and im guessin one of them will pick you. with all that said, if i was gonna buy a new bow today it would be the spider turbo.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby eltaco » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I like my Hoyt bows... but I'm a little biased nowadays ;)
eltaco

Postby mtnmutt » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Grips can be replaced. I hated the stocked Mathews fat wood grip and replaced it with a narrow slender focus grip.
mtnmutt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Can o worms here for sure Bartfrncs ;) . I've liked every Darton I've owned and each have taken an elk or two. I've had my Alpine for two years and really like it. I tend to shy away from the big seller name brands for for no good reason that I can offer. I settled on an Alpine for my current bow and have never regretted it.. Made in Idaho and customer service has been exceptional if I needed any at all. For the price, they're a pretty darn good bow. That said, two of my hunting buddies shoot Mathews and love them. Dotman who will be crawling through the alder in ID with me this year just picked up a new Hoyt and really likes it. Slim9300, local WA buddy, seems to be an elk slaying machine and likes his Bowtecs. As a few have mentioned, dig around, shoot some, and pick one that "you" like. There's a bunch of good ones out there. Happy shopping!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cnelk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

How much money you want to spend?
If you want to spend lots, go with Elite or Mathews
Want to save a few bucks, look at the models mentioned above.

Ive been a PSE user for a long time. They have killed all of my elk :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Indian Summer » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I like Hoyts because I know people who do well with them, they feel good in my hand, and they are quiet. BUT.. I've never shot one! Same goes with Bowtech. I've seen and heard what they can do. The reason I have never shot them is simple. Why? I'm on my 3rd Mathews and have no complaints at all. When I say that I mean it feels good, shoots good AND if I ever have to call them on the phone they are the greatest and most sincere people to work with. Art Anderson is a tech there and will talk to you like you're a buddy who had a question. I love that. My current bow is a "vintage" lolol Switchback. There have been MANY newer models since that one and yes I've been tempted but if it's not broke why sped $1000+ to fix it right.

I didn't mind the stock grip but have replaced it with a torque free Van Handle Death grip. If you don't like a bulky grip you'd hate it BUT... since it's mounted to 2 roller bearings and the grip pivots left and right on the riser it is truly torque free.

I'll say one thing.... pick a bow that you can shoot and hope to keep it for life.... or close to it anyway. Don't get caught up in the yearly marketing that tempts us all to "upgrade". With what's available these days there's no reason your next bow can't be your last.

Also... since there are a pile of people who think their next bow isn't good enough after 1 year good used bows are really easy to find at great prices.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby dotman » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

eltaco wrote:I like my Hoyt bows... but I'm a little biased nowadays ;)

X2.... :)
dotman

Postby LckyTylr » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer brings up a good point. Other than bows being mostly personal preference, don't get caught up in having to buy the latest and greatest. I'd say search as many used listings as you can find. Ask the seller to allow you to shoot the bow. If it doesn't feel right . . . go on to the next. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and a LOT of quality used bows that only have one year of use out of them . . . they might need only a new string.

I shoot a Bowtech Assassin and love it. Before that, I shot PSE's. I never had an issue with PSE. They do tend to be noisier and have more vibration, but it's what I grew up shooting and I shot them well. My new Bowtech is a really nice bow for it's price-point.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby pointysticks » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

if i ever clear the budget for a new bow, i am gonna look long and hard at an Elite.

deep down inside, i am done with single cams. i've never shot a double cam in my life. i imagine the draw is smoother and the bow stores energy better (w 2-cams). i did shoot a carbon element, and if i could have distracted the saleman..i would have run out the door with it..hahah. it was amazing. i dont treestand hunt much, if ever. i wouldnt mind a longer ATA..like 33", and a 7" brace height. i do think (aesthetically) the grips on the Hoyts are butt ugly. but the function of it makes sense. i do LOVE how randy ulmer custom made a drop away rest to hook onto the back of the grip for an overdraw. super slick.

my Z7 is alright. no real love affair with the bow. we had a rocky start, and with all relationships, that can taint the love. :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l