Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Help - Hand Vibration in Bow

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Help - Hand Vibration in Bow

Postby cnelk » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Need some input

Here's the dealio...

I gave my old bow to my son. Its a 2006 PSE Triton.
After shooting my new 2013 bow, I can really feel the hand vibration and TWANG in the old bow.
It has string silencers and SIMS limbsavers and a stabilizer

Questions:
Is there anything on the market or technique to quiet this down?
He had a Whisker Bisket, and I just put on a QAD Hunter for him and that makes it worse

It shoots good, just the twang/vibration is driving us nuts

Thoughts or ideas are welcome!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Help - Hand Vibration in Bow

Postby ctdad » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Put a string stopper on it
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Is your arrow heavy enough for poundage being drawn? Did this just occur or is it you never noticed it before?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

It ain't the bow! Chances are, your hand vibrates from riding that Harley too much! LOL!

I'd send the bow back to the manufacturer. I'll bet there is a crack in it somewhere. At least have your dealer look it over.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have an older Martin Phantom, and it is severe. My son in law has the same bow with the same problem. We have done everything we can think of to get the shock out to no avail. I shoot a 420+ gr arrow in mine and my son in law shoots a 440 gr arrow. The riser broke on mine once when I shot it. The new riser did not change the vibration. I think some bows just kick. Enjoy. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 05 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

the newer bows are better for a reason. so no, its never gonna be quite as good. however a string stopper will go a long ways towards helping. after that i would have somebody check to make sure everything is tight and not cracked anywhere.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby buglmin » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Start with the silencers first...what are you using? Replace them with newer ones. I only use Sims String Leeches on all my bows, both compound and recurve, and bows shoot quiet. A string stop will help a little, but not much. And a lot of string stops actually produce more noise, cause the string is hitting something hard. Try the Sims Limbsavers, they really do work on taking vibrations out of the limbs...just take some time to make sure all screws on the cams and everywhere else are tight, and play with string and cable silencers at different locations...you'll find what works.
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Here is what I did so far

Installed a string stop. The stabilzer hole almost went thu the riser so I drilled and tapped it.
[The riser is extruded in that area so no fear of damage to riser]
I took the one off my new bow to use

Helped very little.

I have tightened all screws.

I took off the sight and shot it.
No difference

The arrows are 420gr
I tried 490gr but no difference.

Buglmin -
The Sims Limb savers and string leeches are prob a few years old.
You think a new set is in order?
I have had good luck using them, but I didnt think they would go bad.

Where would a good location to start with the string leeches?
Closer to the cams, or further down the string?

Thanks the replies guys!

Its probably not as loud as I think it is, especially after shooting my new bow. :)
I did shoot my new bow without the string stop, and yes - that made a difference!
cnelk

Postby pointysticks » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

is the bow tuned? cams are timed?

i remember putting a STS sting stop on my switchback XT..it was like the bow got really dead in hand. biggest improvement ever. there was very little to begin with.

good luck. 2006 isnt that old. my SBXT was a 2007. i am sure they had hand vibes cornered by then. weird.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yessir, the Leechs can get too soft with use and the sun, and they dont absorb vibration like new ones do. Gotta question for ya...Did you start noticing the vibrations after you shot your new bow and then picked up your old bow and shot it? It could be your new bow is better built and now you notice things in your old bow...
After I cut the ring finger off on my left hand and it was reacttached in 2006, I feel all kinds of vibrations through it now...I knot you had major surgery done on your hand, and this could be the cause as well...
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I picked up some new limb savers, but not leeches [that will be next]

What really made it worse was the QAD Hunter drop away.
Its the one without the Harmonic Dampening like I have on my bow.
Would that made that much difference?
Its not as noticeable with a Wisker Bisket

The surgery I had was on my right hand [release hand] so that wouldnt be it

Its a single cam bow and nothing hasnt been changed since I stopped shooting it.
Im think that the technology has come far enough in the last 7 years to warrant the vibration

I will keep tinkering.
The bow does shoot bullets for groups, just not satisfied with the twang :)
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 12]

ive talked to alot of guys that HATE the qad hunter. supposedly when it hits it bounces back up instead of staying down, they are ok for a slow bow, but not for something fast. at least thats what ive been told. i would say if thats when the problem started take it off and go to a whisker bisquit.
bnsafe

Postby ctdad » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I never shoot new bows unless I'm in the market to buy one. The reason is that once I've shot the latest and greatest technology available, I don't want to go back to what i own. I'd guess that is a significant factor here. The old one was fine until you knew how much better it could be.
ctdad

Postby buglmin » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 14]

You could try cat whiskers on the string and cables, that might do the trick. A lil heavier then Leeches, so it might do the trick
I have no experience with the Quad Hunter, use and love the G5 myself...but that Harmonic Dampner works wonders when they are used.
buglmin

Postby cnelk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 15]

OK
Got it back to what it had been

I did put on new Cat Whiskers. Always had good luck with them
I also put a couple 'rubber hook' thingies on the cables.

So in retrospect, I put new Limb Savers on, new Cat Whiskers, cable dampeners, took off the handle and re-glued it, re-set the QAD so nothing was touching the shelf, and new D loop.

One more item I am going to do is change the cable slide, and a string stop would completely round out the process.

Once again, thanks for the help!
cnelk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I had the same problem with an older PSE bow and tried everything you have mentioned. Finally, I cut a piece of bicycle innertube and placed it under the sight and under the bow quiver and then re tightened everything back up. That solved the vibration problem for me on that particular bow. I've also seen a few Martin bows that had flaws in the riser. The only cure was to replace the riser itself.

I remember the first Switchback I ever shot. It was so dead in my hand that I wasn't even sure I had released the string. It made my old bow feel like a lumber wagon compared to a Cadilac. Could be that is what you are up against also.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby buglmin » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I can honestly say Ive never had that problem with any of my Dartons, and I shoot a very light arrow out of them at a very high speed.
And I just thought of this...what stabilizer are you using? Certain stabilizers work better then a lot of others. More weight up front away from your hand might be better then a lil short one. I like Doinker's the best, seems they work great on my speed bows...
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 18]

sounds like you got it fixed, its never gonna shoot like your new one but im bettin it will kill an elk just fine, your sons growin up it looked like to me, how old is he
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 19]

So here is what I did...

I took all of the suggestions and put them to use - THANKS EVERYONE!

I made my own string stops too.

Here is a short vid I just made on 'how to do it'

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/cnelk/ ... 0.mp4.html
cnelk