Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Russell Outdoors clothes?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Russell Outdoors clothes?

Postby eriks. » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Have any of you Nuts used Russell Outdoors Primaloft jackets or other clothes? I'd love to by Sitka or any other of the premium clothes but I'm not willing to sink that much into it. Looks like a guy/gal could pick up the RO clothes pretty cheap but there may be a great reason for that too. Any thoughts on the matter is appreciated.
Thanks, Erik
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Re: Russell Outdoors clothes?

Postby dotman » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I haven't used much of their stuff but those that do seem happy with it.

FYI. .they discontinued the hunting line so some good deals out there but might be limited selection.
dotman

Postby eriks. » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Hey dotman, good to see ya! For sure some good deals on them which made me a little paranoid about it. Sometimes equipment/clothes can be a great deal on paper but when you try to use it, you find out quickly why it was cheap.
eriks.

Postby dotman » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

eriks. wrote:Hey dotman, good to see ya! For sure some good deals on them which made me a little paranoid about it. Sometimes equipment/clothes can be a great deal on paper but when you try to use it, you find out quickly why it was cheap.

Good to see you make it to the nuts forum :). Yeah I know what you mean but I think you will like the RO stuff, shame they are getting out of the business. Phantom16 has some of their stuff (maybe a bunch of it :) ) and from what I have gathered he likes it, maybe he'll chime in.
dotman

Postby Ridgernr » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have the Zepher pants and jacket, And also the Cyclone pants and jacket.
They are well made and have held up well for me, The Zepher stuff has kept me dry in light rain wet grass and brush so for the price I really
like it. I don't know that it is worth full retail but at 50% off used or sale price it is a great deal.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

No sir, nothing wrong with the RO line. I have bought quite a bit of it over the past two seasons and really like it. They are going out of the outdoor clothing business which equates to cut rate prices as Dotman mentioned. I have the L5 jacket/pants (rain gear), a handful of their L1 synthetic base layer long sleeves, a few L2 mid layer long sleeves, primaloft L4 lightweight vest, L4 gale jacket, and a few pairs of their lightweight base layer pants (kind a like long johns). All of the clothing is functional, serves it's intended purpose, and has met or exceeded my expectations for a rugged, lightweight, clothing line. It's "probably" not as good as Sitka or some of the other big names but even for the price I paid (well before the big sale), it's solid gear. Check out Linton Outdoors out of Idaho; they have a website. I got most of my RO gear through them and I see they still carry the RO line. They also carry other name brands for comparison shopping. I will say that this company is "second to none" for customer satisfaction and service.. Give me a chance for your business and you won't regret it. Good luck and happy shopping. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I've picked up a couple of Russel Outdoors Gear, I have a jacket that I use a ton when going to a ballgame or other outdoor activity. The gear & clothing I've picked up was on Camofire so I got a very good deal on it! Check out Camofire daily & you'll most likely see this gear show up at a great price!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eriks. » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Hey, thanks guys! I think Camofire is the first place that I saw the clothing line. I used to get the text messages and was tempted many times as they would come up but would ultimately shy away from them since I didn't recognize the name. I think I'll give them a try well before elk season.

Wow, Phantom, sounds like you are totally outfitted! I appreciate the info and I'll be sure to take a look at the store.

I'll post my opinion of the stuff after I get it. Man, if elk hunting is more fun than planning and gearing up for it...I might just wet myself this September!
eriks.

Postby eriks. » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Hey Phantom, I meant to ask about the rain gear. I've had clothes that say "breathable" but really weren't. How breathable do are the RO clothes?
eriks.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

eriks. wrote:Hey Phantom, I meant to ask about the rain gear. I've had clothes that say "breathable" but really weren't. How breathable do are the RO clothes?

The L5 rain gear is water proof and no sir, doesn't breath that well. Even waterproof gear with pit zips hold so much body heat inside, there's not much breathing going on. As with anything that is truly water proof, it's warm and sweaty (especially when moving). One thing I like about the synthetic stuff from most leading manufacturers (especially base/mid layers) is that they do breath pretty well, and, dries quickly in a light breeze. As you'll find out, gear is either water proof (rain gear) or water resistant (everything else). Water resistant is just that, it repels water for X amount of time but eventually leaks through. It's all part of the experience I always say ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby eriks. » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks RJ. I for sure have had nothing that was waterproof that really breathed. For that matter, I've never had anything that was waterproof that was waterproof-lol.

Just ordered the Lightning jacket with Primaloft and the L5 Cyclone. Got it through Amazon but one of them came through Linton Outdoors. $54 for the Lightning and $79 for the rain jacket. Looking forward to get my hand on them.

Ridgernr wrote:I have the Zepher pants and jacket, And also the Cyclone pants and jacket.

Ridgernr, how did the Cyclone perform or have you had to use it yet?
eriks.

Postby Z Barebow » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have the L4 Primaloft jackt and love it. It is too noisy as an outer layer when bowhunting, but I used it tree stand hunting in sub zero. (Along with other stuff).

It will be part of my backpack hunting selection as I can wear it with a nip in the air, glassing, and I am sure it will work well as a pillow stuffed into a game bag. If it were really cold, I could wear it under my rain gear to stay warm.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil