Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

slim's backpack list is a great tip. need some more tips?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

thanks bud.

i mimic'd your list. i had the luxury of crossing off hunting gear and adding much lighter fishing gear to the pack. 9 days of food. (with some faith in being able to eat fresh fish..praying here)..my pack is 27 lbs without my personal toiletries (and drugs).

biggest weight savers for me was buying a kifaru 20 degree bag, and the big agnes pad.

at this rate, i may pack my Tevas and a small camp axe :D..i need to see what my brother brings and see what i need to carry of his (my share). we are sharing his big agnes tent and titanium jetboil.

any clue on how much fuel i am gonna need with two of us using one jetboil? instant grains everymorning, instant starbucks coffee, and backpack rehydrate meals. figure that stove will need to fire up 30 times?

what do you think of the steripen? we will be next to a super clear river the entire time. so good water sources. leave the katydyn and just use the steripen?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: slim's backpack list is a great tip. need some more tip

Postby POk3s » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I still haven't used a full canister for my jetboil because I get on the "scared" side that I don't want to run out so I end up pitching it and buying a new one (or two). I'd bring 4. 2 for each of you.
POk3s

Postby slim9300 » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

pointysticks wrote:thanks bud.

i mimic'd your list. i had the luxury of crossing off hunting gear and adding much lighter fishing gear to the pack. 9 days of food. (with some faith in being able to eat fresh fish..praying here)..my pack is 27 lbs without my personal toiletries (and drugs).

biggest weight savers for me was buying a kifaru 20 degree bag, and the big agnes pad.

at this rate, i may pack my Tevas and a small camp axe :D..i need to see what my brother brings and see what i need to carry of his (my share). we are sharing his big agnes tent and titanium jetboil.

any clue on how much fuel i am gonna need with two of us using one jetboil? instant grains everymorning, instant starbucks coffee, and backpack rehydrate meals. figure that stove will need to fire up 30 times?

what do you think of the steripen? we will be next to a super clear river the entire time. so good water sources. leave the katydyn and just use the steripen?

Lol. Glad to see you get it dialed in. :)

I would think two 110g or 100g canisters would be just barely sufficient. Three may be the safe bet though. I use one 100g canister for 9-10 days before it poops out. That's with oatmeal in the morning and two cups for dinner.

I would go with AquaMira drops and leave the filter at home. From what I have read, they are the most effective at killing the 'bad stuff' and they are super quick and easy. They have no bad taste at all for me either.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics