Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rifle Scopes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rifle Scopes

Postby Camo » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Howdy Guys. I purchased a new Remington Model 700 Sendero 7 mm Magnum. This rifle has the heavy fluted barrel and it is beautiful. Now I am scope shopping. I currently have a Zeiss 3 x 9 Conquest on a Winchester Model 70. I have been dreaming about a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 P (BT) Plex Reticles with ballistic turret. Does anyone have this scope? What are your opinions about scopes, both manufactures and magnification. I believe the scope is more important than the gun. Please everyone throw out your thoughts so I can make a decision. I want to read about the good and the bad. The rifle weighs 8.5 lbs and the scope is about 15 to 16 ounces.
Camo

First Name: Steve
Last Name: B

Rifle Scopes

Postby Camo » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I apologize guys I should have posted this in the equipment section.
Camo

Re: Rifle Scopes

Postby bnsafe » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

no need to apologize, i would love to give you an answer but it would be the biggest load of bull youve ever seen. i cant imagine the swaro scope being anything but awesome.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

No problem, I'll move it to the Equipment forum for you.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Harmy » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have a 300 UltraMag Sendero with a NightForce 5-22. Wow... Next best in my quiver is a Leupold vari. Makes the Leuo look like it came from the bottom Walmart discount shelf. Although, I would never give up my Leuo as it is perfectly matched to the ballistics of my 30-06 hand loads for all hash marks out to 500 yards and this is far and away my most accurate rifle. I have to say that the NF is an amazing optic to shoot through and have never used better. I have not used a swaro scope but have used their binos. Not as impressed with the binos as I was expecting. The optics provided by Vortex sure seem to be competitive on quality and way cheaper thus you might want to consider them. I am very impressed with my new Vortex 50 mm spotting scope.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby aron » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Hey camo how much do you plan to use it? Is it mostly for hunting or for hunting/shooting/competition? How far do you plan to shoot with it? I think the power range on it is one of the most versatile you can get and swaro optics have great glass. Maybe if we get a better idea what its intended use will be we can help get you set up right.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I've got a Swaro 3-10X42 A on a Kimber Montana 270 WSM, and also have a Leupy 2.5-10X40.....is there a difference? Yes, definitely. But I still like the Leupy. For a serious long distance scope take a long look at Nightforce as well, and read up on the Long Range Hunting forum.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Rifle Scopes

Postby Camo » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the feedback. As I stated I have a new Remington Model 700 Sendero. However my real plan is to give it to my son who is about to graduate from High School. I intend it to be a gun of a lifetime for him. We are in Texas and we hunt everything from whitetails along the coast to mule deer in Colorado. I also want him to use it when we go elk hunting, which I plan to be throughout the west. My goal is it to be a good all purpose gun that he can take an elk with at plus 200 yards or a 200 pound South Texas whitetail at the same distance. I currently have a Zeiss Conquest 3 x 9 scope on a Winchester Model 70 Laredo rifle. It is a good setup but I think I can do better if I select the right scope. I want this Remington to be something special for my son but I don't just want to spend money because of the name but rather because I am getting really clear glass that will last a lifetime. Send me your thoughts, recommendations, or ideas.
Camo

Rifle Scopes

Postby slim9300 » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I own a 3-9x40 Conquest, a Nikon Buckmaster (came with a rifle) and a Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 with the ballistic plex reticle. I think the Burris is the superior scope of the three when it comes to optical quality (the Nikon shouldn't even be compared). I love the quickness of the reticle and it's perfect for my .300 RUM Sendero. I shot my first mule deer buck with it this year at 610 yards. The setup drives tacks and the scope was pretty affordable before they were discontinued last year. My 500 yard groups are about 5-6".
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I don't have any experience with the Swaro's other than looking through binos. As has been stated above, I cannot find any fault with them, as I would expect for that kind of money. I have spent a few weekends behind a NF on a 7mm RUM on a Savage platform . . . again . . . exactly what I had expected for the money.

My last scope purchase was for a Vortex 4-16x50. Very impressed and it was within my personal budget. It's a Working-mans NF in my opinion and I can't say enough about their customer service. Have you read about their warranty . . . best in the business from what I have seen.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... le/reticle
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson