Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

new trigger for a ruger

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

new trigger for a ruger

Postby bnsafe » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

anybody know if you can put a new trigger in a ruger m77 and who would do a good job around ft collins. im thinkin i would like to put a real trigger in my ruger and have some stock barrel work done. although i dont wanna tie up enough money to just go buy a new one with a better trigger.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: new trigger for a ruger

Postby bnsafe » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

and if i get it done what would somebody charge me to sight it in. i dont have access to a shooting range that i know of.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Look into Timney Triggers.
Get it installed and I'll take you up to a range that Im a member
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Man, the best gunsmith we've ever seen is Charlies Sporting Goods in Albuquerque. The trigger job he did on my lil Ruger .257 Roberts and my dads lil Ruger 6mm was perfect, and it didnt cost that much at all. I almost had him talked into cutting two inches off my Weatherby barrel, but he decided he wouldnt do it cause I would loose too much performance.
You guys just live too far away...
buglmin

new trigger for a ruger

Postby pointysticks » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

buglmin wrote:Man, the best gunsmith we've ever seen is Charlies Sporting Goods in Albuquerque. The trigger job he did on my lil Ruger .257 Roberts and my dads lil Ruger 6mm was perfect, and it didnt cost that much at all. I almost had him talked into cutting two inches off my Weatherby barrel, but he decided he wouldnt do it cause I would loose too much performance.
You guys just live too far away...

Thanks. I might mail him something to fix. Nobody answers phones in my area.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby GetemDuck » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

If you get a timney, they are pretty well a drop in trigger, remove two screws, drop in trigger, replace screws. I've done two of them and they are as simple as they come.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby Harmy » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have installed 3 Timney triggers myself and they work great (I am not a gunsmith and they were easy to install). They noticably improved my accuracy in all three weapons (REM 700 30-06 and .243 and a 450BM).
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

thanks guys, i will check into a timney. i kinda hate to modify the gun in anyway cause my wife bought it for me 20 years ago when we were dating, but it needs a better trigger for longer shots out here. would like to get a new trigger and decent scope for it.
cnelk, if i get it done i will call ya. thanks
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

found a timney for 107. may get it. for the scope im thinkin a burris fullfield 2 that sportsmans has on sale. anybody have any experience with those. its 199 on sale, normally 299 i think. could be wrong.
bnsafe

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I put a Timney on my M77 Ruger. It was a heavy barrell 220 Swift with a 4x12 Leupold on top. I did the job myself. But it was far from a simple drop in modification. I had to do alot of whittling on the stock to get it to fit just right. You can do the job yourself. Just be sure not to take out too much wood at a time. Take you time and remove just a little at a time. Then put some marking blueing on the trigger and see where it rubs. Then remove a little more wood. Take your time and do it right and you'll have a gun that will last you a lifetime
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics