Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

help on new arrow decision

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

help on new arrow decision

Postby commando » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys. So km new to the site. A little about my self I live in the pac northwest and did four yrs on the Marine corps got out in 2011. Any ways I'm looking at getting g some new arrows soon. I've been shooting the maxima hunters for awhile now but would like to go back to easton. I used to shoot the axis outnkf my old bow and loved them. Ive got it narrowed down to three. Either the axis fmj or the account pro hunter. I did a lot of research on the acc and really like them but like I said j used to shoot the axis and really liked them. What are your guys thoughts the these three? If it helps I'm shooting g a Mathews drenaline 69 lbs and a 29 in draw. Thanks for the help guys!
commando

First Name: jeremy

Re: help on new arrow decision

Postby Swede » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the site Commando. You did not state what you will be shooting at with your arrows, so I will assume elk, as opposed to just targets or smaller game. Certainly you have plenty bow. Any good arrow will kill elk. I would recommend 400+gr including broad head. Make sure the broad heads are razor sharp and you hit the vitals. I have shot wood arrows, fiberglass arrows, aluminum, etc., etc. They all work. I have a bunch of light arrows that I wished were in the 420 gr. area. Well I saw where cnelk posted that by putting trimmer string down the arrow shaft will increase the weight and not change the arrow spine. That was a great tip, so even arrows that may be too light out of the box can be made to be very suitable. Good luck. My advise is not to agonize over your decision.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby RockChucker30 » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

First of all, thanks for your service.

Secondly, many good arrows are available now. Just make sure it's heavy enough and the proper spine for your bow. I shoot a 30" 70 lb hoyt and 340 Axis FMJ's cut to 28.5" and they fly great all the way out to 100. They're also the toughest arrows I've ever used. I've got some that I've been shooting since 2008 with thousands upon thousands of shots on them and they look brand new. The only real risk I've found with them is splitting the nock end aluminum with another arrow, especially if you're broadhead tuning.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby buglmin » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Ive shot ACC's since the 80's, and only shot the Easton FMJ's cause thats the shaft Easton sent me. There is no real difference in the ACC and the FMJ, and a lot of guys I know still shoot the ACC. I still shoot them from my 54# Thunderhorn Coup Stick, lil ACC 3-28's, 383 grains, that blew through the biggest hog Ive ever shot in 2008...486#. Shot was at 18 yards, and penetration was over 26".
The Easton Axis shaft is a very tough shaft to beat, cheaper then the FMJ or the ACC, but just as good. In my book, you cant beat the Axis or the Beman MX shafts at all for a good all around shaft that dont cost over 120.00 just for the shafts...The Axis or MX shafts have good weight, and they can take a beating. You dont need to spend a lot of money to get a great shaft.
buglmin

Postby commando » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Hey thanks for the help guys! Yes I will be trying g to shoot at elk with these as well as black tail and bears. I think I'm going to go the axis route. Not sure what broad head though most likely the wacem, mounted g5 or the shuttle t lock. What is the arrow wrap that comes with the axis? Is it a full shaft wrap or just like the one I would put on while putting on vanes? If I fletch my own arrows will it come off when I re fletch? Thanks again guys!
commando

Postby buglmin » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Its a lil better quality wrap then most guys get, but it is just like a wrap you'd put on. Ive had no problems with them at all, just dont like white wraps or crown dipping.
You've made a good choice in arrows, the Axis are a great lil shaft. Whatever broadhead you use, choose 125 grain head over a 100 grain head. The Wac'ems are nice lil heads, used them a lot for a few years, and didnt come apart on elk or deer. Good luck, and have fun.
buglmin

Postby commando » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Why 125 instead of 100 grain? I'm just curious I've always shot 100s is it just for a little bit of more hitting power? And heavier arrow?
commando

Postby buglmin » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

A lil bit more FOC..better arrow flight in the wind sir. I've always shot 100 grain heads myself, but made the switch to 125 grain heads from my compounds, and 150 grain heads from my recurves...
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

cant help you much with your selection, i personally shoot n fused bloodlines and really like them so far. but, welcome to the site and thanks for your service. glad your home and on here.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby commando » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Have you guys heard of the black eagle arrows? I ran across them today and like the rampages.
commando

Postby buglmin » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Im a pro shooter for Black Eagle Arrows, and I shoot the Rampages out of my recurves and compounds. I get awsome arrow flight with them, but had to build some inserts to attach my broadheads to give me some tip weight and arrow weight. The outserts from BEA are a better quality then the Victory Archery VAP's, and I havent broke one like you do the VAP's. BEA are a good shaft.
buglmin

Postby commando » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Is the main difference between the rampage and carnivore the diameter?
commando

Postby buglmin » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

yes, the Rampage is 17/64 and uses outserts for the tips, and a Bohning F nock. Ive yet to break one. I killed my spring turkey with a Rampage.
The Rampage is a great shaft. Ive got some Deep Impact shafts coming, and looking forward to shooting those as well.
Out of my compound, Im using 150 grain VPA's glued directly into the shaft to do away with the outsert.
buglmin

Postby quarbles » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

i really like the axis arrows. axis 300's at 29.6" 4 fletched with silent knight 200's (no wrap), x nock and 2 hit inserts tipped with a 125g broadhead equals 500 grains, just over 280 fps-ish (derived from a calculator). i really like this arrow.... i used to do fmj but for me they were too heavy...
i looked at the deep impacts hard, but ended up with the axis because for my length it just worked out better on paper.... i wasn't in the position physically play around with different arrows. gold tip kinetics are very similar but lighter than axis. for the most part i utilized the goldtip calculator (for arrow weight/ foc) and the backcountry bowhunting calculator (to get a general speed and ke) just to get an idea for what i was looking for, in regards to weight, speed, ke and foc. i played around with weight until i got what i wanted......
quarbles

First Name: jon
Last Name: travis

Postby buglmin » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I used to use two HIt inserts in my Beman MX shafts, but with the cost of the HIT inserts, it was easier and cheaper to cut brass inserts down to give me the weight I wanted and needed.
The Ramp shafts are a smaller diameter then the Axis shafts. In fact, you can use the ACC 3-28 half out inserts on the Rampage shafts, or the carbon Express 250 Egde half out inserts. I kinda like using the ACC half out inserts, but for my recurves, need more tip weight to weaken the spine of the .400's, hats why I made special adapters made for me...
buglmin

Postby commando » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it. So after researching them black eagles a lot I've decided not to shoot the axis and I will be getting the black eagle arrows. I just can't decide between the rampage or the carnivores. I am leaning more towards the rampages. But we will see this weekend what I end up ordering. Thanks again guys
commando

Postby buglmin » 06 06, 2013 •  [Post 17]

One of the things to consider about the Rampages is that a lot of bow quiver arrow holders aint small enough to grip and hold the small diameter shafts. I dont have this problem cause I use a mini cat quiver. But quivers like my Thunderhorns and Hoyt quivers wont hold them unless I modify the arrow grippers. Just something to thing about...
buglmin

Postby commando » 06 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Thats why I've decided to go with the carnivores. I noticed yesterday while shooting some axis from my other bow they liked to slide out of the quiver. Can't have that.
commando

Postby buglmin » 06 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Good choice...shouldnt say this, but look into the Zombie slayers as well...
I started using a mini cat quiver years ago, and dont have to worry bout lose arrows anymore, or an unbalanced bow...
buglmin