Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bought a new sleeping bag!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bought a new sleeping bag!

Postby eltaco » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Fellas, you guys failed to mention how expensive all of this backcountry gear was going to be! That said, I've been swooping up all of the gear that I think I'll need this Fall, and just wanted to pass along a deal that I found on what I think will be a good product.

Backcountry.com has a bag called a Stoic Somnus SZ, in both 15 and 30 degree options. I opted for the 15 degree 850 fill down bag, in regular length. Backcountry is closing these bags out at 50% off, which was about $175 for my bag. The bag comes in right at 2# .... I sure can't seem to find another down bag of this quality anywhere near the pricepoint (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I'm 6'-0" and the regular still leaves a few inches... way better than I was expecting!

At any rate, seems like a great bag for the price. Wanted to pass the info along!
eltaco

Re: Bought a new sleeping bag!

Postby bnsafe » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

congrats on your new bag. hope it performs awesome and you like it.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

love it..

tomorrow is my first real maiden voyage for my new bag. kifaru 20 degree. i hope i dont freeze my girlie body to death. the thing is pretty light feeling. up till now i used it in the summer..and my wife used it all winter as her TV watching blanket. if it sucks, i think i know my next attempt.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby eltaco » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've not heard much for complaints on that slick bag, other than narrow width which would compliment my girlish figure just fine. Truthfully, I've been eyeing that bag for a while now but price won out. I do have some concerns with down and getting it wet, but I'll buy a waterproof sack for it, and I sleep in a tent so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Let us know what you think of that slick!
eltaco

Postby aron » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yes this backcountry gear is very expensive and the shopping list never ends. Let us know your thoughts on that bag. Sounds like a great deal, especially on a 850 down bag.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby eltaco » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I noticed today that the discount changed from 50% off to 25% off. Glad I bought it when I did, hope someone else in need of a bag found it in time!
eltaco