Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

trail camera use in Colorado Wilderness

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby dapper » 06 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Is it legal to use a trail camera in a Colorado Wilderness? Talking to my son tonight and he asked that question. I didn't know, so I started to look on the Colorado DOW site but then I thought it probably just quicker to ask the question here. We do a pack in hunt and he thinks it would be neat to monitor a certain trail. I myself think its just extra weight to haul in/out but he's the one that will be hauling it if legal.

Thanks for replys
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: trail camera use in Colorado Wilderness

Postby Vanish » 06 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Not hunting the wilderness, but I use one on CO National Forest Land. Its definitely I a big risk having it out there for someone to steal, but for me its worth it. I love the trail cam pics!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby BarW » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm thinking of leaving one in August when I scout on a wallow I know of, it'll be out for 3 weeks. It's a risk but the information could prove to be invaluable
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Re: trail camera use in Colorado Wilderness

Postby Migolito » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I use my trail camera for surviellance in the forest of facilities that get vandalized. I have video of people looking for cameras...and looking right at mine. I use hot glue to attach bark and vegatation to my camera and it becomes virtually impossible to detect. Dont place the camera at eye level. Place it at ground level or least 10' high. Place it back into the shadows, not on the edge of the brushline or treeline.
Migolito

First Name: Mike