Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

10 yrs ago, i found the cutest girl at REI to sell me a pack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

well..i chose poorly.

hahahha..i still remember her. very granola, hot ...ok, not important to my story.....

i bought a Gregory pack. i've been on numerous hikes with it. but twice i really loaded it up, or took it on long journey. my recent trip with buds that know packs illuminated that my pack comes nowhere near to fit me. my load lifters almost pull DOWN! i survived this past two weeks with this pack purely on the fact that it wasnt loaded that heavily. after eating everything, i bet it was 27lbs when we hauled out of the wilderness...and i wore my hip belt really high on my waist.

the pack expert at REI said to bring it in to see if he could help adjust it, but i have investigated thru all the information glean off of sites such as this..there is no way.

new pack time!

thinking: Bikini Platform + Duplex T2 + Hunting cargo panel.

this making any sense? i admit, the K website is not really well written for me. some of it, i just dont understand. can the hunting cargo panel attach to the bikini without the T2? can it go between my back and the T2?

i think an awesome day-pack config would be the bikini, the cargo panel, and a small pouch attached to the outside. anyone have a kifaru roadmap? ;)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: 10 yrs ago, i found the cutest girl at REI to sell me a

Postby pointysticks » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

oh..i am adding non-hunting backpacking to my list of hobbies. i really had a great time recently.

nice if one pack can do it all.
pointysticks

Postby dotman » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yup the cargo panel can attach and any pockets/accesories with the dock & lock can attach to the frame without a bag. So just say if you only had the frame you could still add a ton of stuff without a bag. Bikini has the same attachment point s as the duplex.

The cargo panel cannot go between your frame and bag but you can roll it up and leave it mounted under your bag or quickly detach it and put it in the bag. Truthfully I think your better off with a grabit and lash kit over a cargo panel.

For day hunts or short trips I have a hill people gear 2500ci bag and grabit or I can just run my E&E and grabit with hanging beat bag stuffed in a pullout in my E&E (i have a gen1 hanging meat bag that is silnylon)

The HPG bag is only $45 and made for Kifaru frames.
dotman

Postby dotman » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Oh yeah, if you order up some of these http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware ... qasm.html# you can attach anything to the frame that has a loop and lashing etc.
dotman

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Did you at least get her number? :)

There are several packs on the market that will do what you want. I tested a new proto the last few days that would fit the bill as well.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby dotman » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Well now you have to post pics of the proto :). No reason to tell us who is making it but we have to see this, you just left us hangin! Pics pics :).
dotman

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Here is a pic of the frame and compression used in bag hauler mode with a cuben dry sack instead of the pack bag.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371303916.692980.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371303916.692980.jpg (153.16 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

I did a mile and a half loaded with 119 lbs and then 11 miles loaded with 35 the next day. It needs a few finishing touches, but the comfort is there. It's got the best belt I've ever used.
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby dotman » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Looks good, man though that cuben stuff is ugly :). Looks like it has functional load lifters, I do not understand why more pack makers don't provide these.
dotman

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Yeah, cuben isn't pretty but it is light! The cuben is mine....it doesn't go with the pack.

Im 6'3" and have a hard time finding functional load lifters but this pack did great.
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Pointysticks: "So tell me hon does this backpack make me look fat?"

Attractive Tree Hugger Girl: "Oh no Mr. Pointystick you look taller & really hot with that pack on!"

Pointy: "I'll t t t take it!"

:lol:

Lesson: People who work in sporting goods stores, especially yuppie ones... and even ones in pro shops don't always have a clue. In fact they know way less than the users on this forum.

One time I was looking at Vasque hiking shoes. They had a little inclined thingy there with those rock wall stones all over it. The fast talking dude says: Now step up on there with your toes aimed uphill because that's how you'll be going 90% of the time. I immediately replied: If I gain or lose X amount of elevation from camp and return to camp wouldn't that calculate to about or actually exactly 50% each way. He scratched his head and I said gimme the darn shoes Einstein. The shoes sucked.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Indian Summer wrote:Pointysticks: "So tell me hon does this backpack make me look fat?"

Attractive Tree Hugger Girl: "Oh no Mr. Pointystick you look taller & really hot with that pack on!"

LOL!!! I bet that is closer to the truth than it should be...
Paradox Packs
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby Wapitibob » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I have had poor luck with the clip on buckles Dotman linked. For me, the buckle is too close to the frame, sits at an odd angle and the strapping doesn't stay tight.
My preferred method is to use G hooks and ladder locks.

http://milspecmonkey.com/store/hardware ... -wave.html

http://na.itwnexus.com/content/superloc
Wapitibob

Postby pointysticks » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I'm 5'11" what stays do I need to get? Lady said I am right on the border.
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer wrote:Pointysticks: "So tell me hon does this backpack make me look fat?"

Haha. Might be how it all played out. I'm a sucker for a pretty smile!
pointysticks

Postby dotman » 06 15, 2013 •  [Post 15]

pointysticks wrote:I'm 5'11" what stays do I need to get? Lady said I am right on the border.

I would go with 26in for two reasons, resale and in packs there is never a negative for going with longer stays. Soome 5'6" guys run 26in and that is also the most indemand size on the used market. I'm 5'11 as well and have 26in.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer wrote:
Lesson: People who work in sporting goods stores, especially yuppie ones... and even ones in pro shops don't always have a clue. In fact they know way less than the users on this forum.

You gotta avoid the eye candy when you want honest, experienced advice! I mean, I don't come here for elk hunting tips because of Phantom's stylish physique! At REI, the trick is to find the bearded wirey guy that looks like he just stumbed off the appellation trail. Then ask him straight up, "what would you wear if you had to pack 90lbs of bloody elk" 4 miles to the truck. In my experience, they'll give you a great and honest answer then ask "so, tell me more about this elk meat you speak of...."
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby pointysticks » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 17]

thank you DOT!

that is sound logic. i like!
pointysticks