Has anyone taken an elk with a handgun?

Postby cnelk » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone?
What did you use?
What was the story?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Has anyone taken an elk with a handgun?

Postby Freebird134 » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 2]

A guy I knew from college sent me an email a couple years after college claiming he killed a cow elk with his Glock 10mm. I was a big fan of my 10mm, so when he got one and apparently killed an elk, he thought I'd be excited to hear about it. However, I had the opposite reaction--I think he was being 100% truthful, even though I wish he were lying. I forget the details, but it was out there a good distance and took numerous shots to bring it down. It sounded ridiculously unethical.

I'm sure it can be done ethically with a proper hunting handgun, but a Glock 10mm with open sights is no elk gun.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby otcWill » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

A buddy of mine shot one a few years back in Wyo from 12 yars with his .44. Was hunting an exit funnel for a nice bedding area in dark timber, heard him coming and BANG. Spike went about 15-20 yards, double lung.
otcWill

Postby Harmy » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

On 2 occasions I have assisted in searching for a wounded elk post late evening rifle shot. In both situations, after tracking the elk down using headlamps and finding it bedded, it was way to dark to see through a scope and so a .357 was used to finish the job (20-30 yards). In a third similar situation a wounded spike got away because we did not carry a side arm and the shooter could not see well enough to fire through the rifle (this is why I carry my 357 when hunting now). From a terminal ballistics perspective I would have to say that the .357 caliber was a bit light even though it had a legal muzzel velocity. I would seriously consider taking big game with a pistol but think I would focus on a .44 or similar powered weapon.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby tdiesel » 06 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Friend took a 4x5 bull with a 10mm it was 31 yards slightly quartering to went about 15-20 yrds and fell over dead bullet was just under hide on the off side shoulder seemed to work pretty well for him but I haven't done it. He used 180 grain Corbon bullet for hunting I believe it leaves the barrel around 1300 ft/sec we talked about it quite a bit after wards that's how I know what he used.
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen