Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Silk Screening Questions?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone know anything about this procedure? I'm considering picking up a Heat Press Machine, what size? So where do you get the Print that I want to transfer on our camo materials? I want to start putting our Logo & ElkNut Chuckler on our Bugles, I figured it would be great if we could do this ourself & possibly do other things as well. Thanks for any info ones may have!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Silk Screening Questions?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Surely there is a T-shirt shop in McCall. That would be a good place to ask a few questions. Who knows, maybe they could make you a bulk deal and save you the price of the equipment. Just guessing!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Surely there is a T-shirt shop in McCall

Have you been to McCall??? :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Surely there is a T-shirt shop in McCall. That would be a good place to ask a few questions. Who knows, maybe they could make you a bulk deal and save you the price of the equipment. Just guessing!

I actually logged in to make a joke about WWs comment but figured I should search first. There's a screen printer in McCall and one in Cascade. I wouldn't have figured that in a hundred years.

Sorry Paul, no help from me on the screen printing.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby Freebird134 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good catch femoralarchery! I've spent a lot of time in McCall and don't recall a tshirt place.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkmtngear » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have one that I occasionally make T-Shirts with. I use a color laser printer, so you have to buy special transfer paper for it...it's a more permanent image with color laser.

There is always some experimentation with different papers and material, pressure, heat, and timing. Also, you will need to increase brightness on your prints a bit with some transfer papers.

I've got the pressure maxed out on mine, so not sure I would recommend it, even though it works just fine.

I think it was about 400 bucks, not sure of the brand. The usable surface is about 14" x 14"

These guys have a huge variety of presses: http://www.bestblanks.com/heatpress.html
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thanks guys! Yes I did talk to the guys here in McCall, they were great! But after considering the many things & options where I'd like it used I felt we may be better off to have our own press. What I cannot locate is where do you get the screen or materials that I would have the logo & saying on to press on to the Chuckler Bugle Covers? I know we have to have our own saying & all but what company reproduces these by the 100's so I could then take them & heat press them onto the camo fabric? Thanks.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkmtngear » 06 20, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Paul,
Here's a video that explains the heat sublimation process. Basically, you can easily print your own logos on paper by arranging them in Photoshop or something. Then just cut them out, put them on the camo fabric, and press them.

Best of Luck,
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the video. I watched it but it's not what I was looking for! (grin) I'm looking for a company or place that has the name of my choice on the needed paper so I can just heat press it into place. I'd like to purchase certain amounts of these pre-done, is there a such a place that does this? Thanks.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

art school.

i have a BFA in art (my poor mom was so supportive, altho she knew that i wouldnt/couldnt parlay it into a money paying job). as an elective i took a silkscreening class.

paper? you are talking some iron-on logo?

silkscreening is like photography. you coat a screen with an emulsion that is affected by light. the parts not hit by the light remains soft and you rinse it away with water leaving you a template. you then squeegy fabric paint onto your shirts thru this template. you are looking for someone to make you this template?

on a side note..my skill came in handy when my buddy and i were co-bestman at a Fred's wedding. we made "FREDS DEAD" t-shirts for all the guys at the bachelor party. we did it in my bathroom. crazy night. not a single t-shirt survived. and there were like 20 stippers wearing them eventually. egads! other than that, it was all very PG-13.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby planebow » 06 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

We have been printing tee shirts at our 3D shoots. I will check and see who made our transfers and let you know.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby elkmtngear » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Paul,

Found it! You can get bulk transfers with your design at :

http://www.fcitransfers.com and http://www.transferexpress.com
Best of Luck,
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thanks!!! I'll check into them.

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul