Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shot my Bow Last Night - Serious Trouble

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So last night I shot my bow and I think I'm in serious trouble. Immediately I noticed a loud noise. It appears to be a vibration but it's very fast and almost sounds like metal on metal. No visable limb cracks and everything is tightened down on my bow. At 40 yards I placed two arrows side by side, the third hit four feet in front of the target. The fourth hit two feet to the right of the target. I can always touch four arrows at 40 yards. Any idea's on whats wrong?

If I have to get a new bow, what do you guys recommend? Not looking for a $1000 bow but would like something in the medium range. I've always shot Martin my entire life but I would be willing to go with a Mathews or Hoyt.
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Shot my Bow Last Night - Serious Trouble

Postby Backcountry » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Check your draw mods. Sounds like you have a screw loose.

What bow is it?
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Tough luck! Take it to a pro shop if you can't immediately figure it out.

As far as a new bow.....I've been shooting the same Hoyt since 2008 with the same winners choice strings. If I had to get another I'd get a used bow.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby otcWill » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If you have to replace and want to go mid grade, I'd look at the Hoyt Charger . It's been the best bow for the money for some time and has been rated that way by quite a few mags.
otcWill

Postby eltaco » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Lets diagnose the problem before you jump to a new bow. Sounds like something just came loose.

Before you put another arrow on it, lets find out where that vibration is coming from. If you hold onto the bow with one hand and smack the riser with your other, you should be able to locate the vibration. I suspect there's an issue with your sight or rest, as you drew it back without feeling any issues.

You can go chasing screw connections, but you should be able to locate the vibration just by slapping the riser. Let us know what you're finding. If you can't find a vibration, I suspect that your rest isn't dropping on the shot, and the vanes are contacting on the way out.
eltaco

Postby cnelk » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

What rest are you using?
Check your nock point with a bow square - be sure all the basics are in order first
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Backcountry wrote: Sounds like you have a screw loose.

Backcountry: You need to stay on subject. Besides, we know that. :D
Seriously, Martin is great to work with, and you live close to the factory. Go over to Walla Walla and pay them a visit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

There isn't anything loose and I use a whisker for my rest. A buddy told me that it could possibly be cracked where my arm screws into the riser. If this was true, would I be loosing k-energy? I figured I lose some, but not 4' worth.

It's a Martin Saber with Nitro Cams.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby pointysticks » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

what bow is this?

i gonna punt and call it "the rest"..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ctdad » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I'd recommend you stop shooting that bow until you have it checked out. Hate to have it explode in your hands or face.

One interesting thing that happens to me:when i know or think my bow is having issues, my form goes out the window and i add all sorts of problems to what is wrong with the equipment. I'm not saying you did that, but i have been guilty of it.:smile:
ctdad

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I'll bring my Rytera Nemesis 35 to hermiston and let you try it out if you think you want a new Martin.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby Wapitibob » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 12]

If the riser was cracked you would see it, then you'd feel it when it came across your forehead. If everything is tight, I'd look at the string, cracked module, cracked cam, cable guard moved into the string path, etc.
Wapitibob

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Femoral - not sure I want another Martin. :-)

Everything is straight and tight. I can't see anything wrong and I'm scared to shoot it again. So I'll just take it to the Martin shop to see what they find. Thanks guys!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Wapiti » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

John,

I hope you get things figured out. I have shot a lot of bows like PSE,High Country,Mathews and now i'm shooting a Hoyt Maxxis and love it !! When you release the string you don't hear or feel anything. I would just go and shoot a bunch and one will stand out that you like. In all honesty I was not a fan of Hoyt until a buddy convinced me to try one.......WOW !! I have heard a lot of good about the Destroyer by Bowtech. It's a couple years old so if you can find a new one at a store it should be cheaper.

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Dad-gum-it Swede! You beat me to it! (sounds like you have a loose screw) LOL!

John: For sure don't shoot it until you find the problem. I'm guessing a cam or axil problem. Maybe even limb pocket. If you can verify the sights and other attachments aren't the problem, get it in a press and do a tear down.

On my last Martin I had to place a piece of bicycle innertube under the site to quiet the vibration. But the way yours is shooting, it sounds like you have something more serous going on.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I had one do that once, couldn't figure out what the problem was, had just put a new string on so KNEW that couldn't be the problem. everytime I shot it just got worse. finally went to the bowshop and it was out of tune, had to move the d loop, rest, everything. took it out to the range and shot two arrows thru it and the string snapped half draw. turns out I had a little burr on the cam that as very slowly cutting the string. im certainly not saying that's whats wrong with yours, only that 1. don't shoot it til you figure it out, you don't want it to break during your draw trust me, 2. there are a million possibilities so don't rule anything out yet.
on a side note, the hoyt charger looks like a nice bow. but, you can look on places like archerytalk and find a new older model for the same money. I bought a hoyt crx32 brand new for 500 bucks 6 mos ago. best bow ive ever owned. also look at some of the used carbon elements or matrix on there. those are super sweet bows, esp for mountain hunting. now if you wanna drop an extra 350 the spyders an experience bows from hoyt and bowtech are awesome and will last you a lifetime. and the destroyer was so popular I heard they were bringing back a model this year. good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 17]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Dad-gum-it Swede! You beat me to it! (sounds like you have a loose screw) LOL!

John: For sure don't shoot it until you find the problem. I'm guessing a cam or axil problem. Maybe even limb pocket. If you can verify the sights and other attachments aren't the problem, get it in a press and do a tear down.

On my last Martin I had to place a piece of bicycle innertube under the site to quiet the vibration. But the way yours is shooting, it sounds like you have something more serous going on.

My doctor tightened it a little. He say's that I should be less violent now and much less of a threat to the public! :shock: :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 18]

john, I was wondering, how is your cam timing? are the cables inside the timing marks/dots? hows your ATA? I know you cant shoot it again but im wondering if your string stops are touching at the same time when at full draw. stupid question but you didn't change anything before you shot? hows your cam lean? did the cams lean before you had an issue ( some bows need cam lean when at rest) im just trouble shooting things in my head. personally this is where id start after checking all the bolts and screws. these measurements could point you to the possible problems.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby buglmin » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Something happened...something major, and the best thing, honestly, is to get it into a pro shop so they can look at it and inspect it very close. Not all limb cracks are easy to see, and sometimes the limbs need to be flexed to see a crack...but it sounds like something happened to the cables or string...something changed, or broke. Thats why you need a pro shop to look at it.
buglmin

Postby Swede » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 20]

John's last post reminded me of an incident that took place over 20 years ago. My younger daughter was in college. I was with her and observed that she needed a good butcher knife for the kitchen. I decided to buy her one. When we were going through the store check out, the young man who was working as cashier said, "that is sure a big knife you have there". Without the slightest hesitation or intimidation, Dawn replied, "Oh it's ok, my psychiatrist says I am getting much better now".
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 21]

This thread has me nervous. Since getting my bow restrung I have had vibrations on my bow. Part of the problem was my sight that had a cracked housing around the fiber optics. Warranty fixed it no questions asked so I moved on. My bow is still vibrating and I cant seem to find out what the problem is. I just thought of it as annoying, never occurred to me to be a serious problem. It isn't shooting way off like John had mentioned, but it has me worried.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby N5J » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Had a friend say his bow was making a weird noise when he shot it. I asked if he made sure everything was tight and he said yes! He brought it over and I discovered the cable slide bar was loose. The bar would rattle after every shot. Don't over look the simple things! I agree take it to a shop to be inspected if you can't find anything obvious.

N5J
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 23]

John please let us all know what you find out. I'd sure like to know. I know of two Martins that had wierd sounds. Both had minute limb cracks that you couldn't see. Even the pro-shop guys couldn't find the problem. A quick call to Martin and the bow had new limbs.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Thanks for the help guys. I'm lucky that I have a Martin Shop 30 minutes away.

I'll update you on what they find.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Moose-head » 07 02, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Are the arrows that are missing the target flying true or are they coming off wonky?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby Rutaddict » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Check and make sure your nock point is solid and not slipping which would could cause the sudden sporadic shooting.
Rutaddict

First Name: Richard
Last Name: Peeples

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 27]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:So last night I shot my bow and I think I'm in serious trouble. Immediately I noticed a loud noise. It appears to be a vibration but it's very fast and almost sounds like metal on metal. No visable limb cracks and everything is tightened down on my bow. At 40 yards I placed two arrows side by side, the third hit four feet in front of the target. The fourth hit two feet to the right of the target. I can always touch four arrows at 40 yards. Any idea's on whats wrong?

If I have to get a new bow, what do you guys recommend? Not looking for a $1000 bow but would like something in the medium range. I've always shot Martin my entire life but I would be willing to go with a Mathews or Hoyt.

Any update on the RCA?

You can just hold the bow in one hand and bang the side if the of the top of the riser with the other hand. This identifies vibrations quite well without shooting the bow, for safety sake!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 15, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Sorry forgot to update. Cracked limbs. Two new ones and I'm touching arrows out to 40 yards.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Z Barebow » 07 16, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Not good to hear, but good to hear! At least you find the problem, have implemented the cure and have the bow shooting like it should.

Definitely a confidence rattler if you were dealing with issues like that a week before season.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby WindedBowhunter » 07 17, 2013 •  [Post 30]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:Sorry forgot to update. Cracked limbs. Two new ones and I'm touching arrows out to 40 yards.

While that's a bummer, its better that you're safe and dialed in!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall